Shameful Question

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
altec
Egg

Shameful Question

Post by altec »

First off, let me explain myself.

I went through OSUT with 5 stress fractures and a 2 broken metatarsals in each foot (just graduated). I didn't go to the doctor until recovery week because I didn't want to deal with a profile or restarts. Before getting injured I was pulling under 13:00 for my run. My last run I really had to push myself to get a 15:30. Finishing with the fat people was the worst feeling ever. Especially since I have a RIP contract.

I really doubt that in this condition I will be able to pass RIP. If I am gimping around in RIP but still trying my hardest and somehow passing the tests will they kick me out for being injured and not being able to keep up with everyone else?

Is there a point in airborne in which to tell the Ranger Liaison or someone that I will not be attending RIP? I don't want to be kicked out of airborne or anything for dropping RIP. Last thing I want is legland...

Sorry and thank you for any help.
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Shameful Question

Post by Baseplate »

I could be wrong as it has been some time since I was in airborne school but if you are seen limping around Airborne you will be sent to sick call and dropped from the class. Not to mention the fact that youi need to heal properly. Pushing through pain is differant than pushing through broken bones. I am going to let you in on a secret, Rangers go on profile too. Besides how long do you think it will take you to heal, after you need surgery to fix whatever damage you have done to yourself, instead of taking the 2 to 4 weeks needed to heal after a stress fracture? In fact If you had gone on profile when you foot began to hurt how many stress fractures do you think you would have ended up with? My thoughts are 1 or 2
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I don't know what to offer for useful advice, since you have healing to do and too little time to do it in and you blew your chance to heal in OSUT.
Injury that disqualifies you from airborne & RIP will cost you your Opt.40.
You probably just paid a high price to discover the location of that fine line that seperates Hard from Stupid.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
altec
Egg

Post by altec »

I realize it was a stupid move to not give myself a chance to heal. I really wanted to do OSUT once, not twice because of a restart. I am able to run at a slow pace just fine. I ran 5 miles the other day at 9:00 a mile just fine. Fast paces put to much pressure on my feet an I can't even walk after running fast.

I would like to know when it would be safe to drop RIP. I don't want to be dropped from the airborne school because I dropped RIP. I was thinking around middle of jump week to drop RIP. Logically thinking, They wouldn't drop me from BAC when I am almost done.

I am not giving up on Ranger School, I hope to get there some day. Thank you for any help.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

You are a fucking quiter already
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

altec wrote:I really doubt that in this condition I will be able to pass RIP.
I agree, though we probably disagree on your condition.

Do this: In your first week of jump school, find some hooah who wanted a RIP slot but couldn't get it. You and him march over to the RIP liason, and tell him that you want to give up your slot to the hooah. The liason needs time to process the change, so don't wait until the last week.

Remember, pain isn't ALWAYS weakness leaving the body. Sometimes it's your body saying "hey shitbag go see a fucking medic!"
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

I realize it was a stupid move to not give myself a chance to heal. I really wanted to do OSUT once, not twice because of a restart. I am able to run at a slow pace just fine. I ran 5 miles the other day at 9:00 a mile just fine. Fast paces put to much pressure on my feet an I can't even walk after running fast.

I would like to know when it would be safe to drop RIP. I don't want to be dropped from the airborne school because I dropped RIP.
Now. Quit right now. It is too much for you, you know that your injuries can't heal right away, so quit right now. The Airborne School won't look down upon you, since they aren't really affiliated with RIP. Give up now. It will be safer and you won't have to worry about permanent injuries.
I am not giving up on Ranger School, I hope to get there some day. Thank you for any help.
No! Give up now. You need to realize that you can't make it. Learn to speak French on the side.
It fits your profile!
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Here's a lesson for other DEPs or newbies:
Troops: You have three - six years in the Green Machine. WTFlyingF does it matter where the the first 2-4 months are spent?? You still have 3-6 years to serve. Doing OSUT twice is something no one else will ever notice in your lifetime, and even though it seems like a long time at your age, it really is NO time at all!
Lots of guys quit because they are impatient and can't wait 1-2 months for airborne or RIP hold, or some similar excuses. What does this gain you? Waiting at some Big Army post for the same length of time where you're still doing details, not training like you claim to want, still at the bottom of the food chain and most likely no closer to the fight than you were before, and more likely it will be even longer before you get deployed.

When you don the uniform, also don a 'zen' attitude about time. Four years is four years. There will be no difference in the rest of your life if you spend 1, 2 or 4 more months at Ft Tentpeg as opposed to Ft Goatscrew. You're still wearing stupid looking ACUs and your paycheck is the same. You're building your TIS towards E-2 or E-3 and will likelier arrive at your final station with one more stripe than you otherwise would have.
Patience is one of the best qualities a soldier can adopt.
------------------------------------------------
Altec: If the others have correctly assessed you as a quiter, DON'T go airborne, quit now because you won't do any better in the 82d, 173d or 4/25ID. They run fast there too, and go on long walks under heavy rucksacks and other RIP-like activities and since you'll be going to war with them, they'll take a dim view of you saying "Sarge, my footsies hurt!"
On the plus side, if you get a profile out of the infantry, the Army can always use another cook & you won't be a burden to a rifle squad somewhere.

RgrO'Kelly is telling you truth; if RIP scares you, don't even think about Ranger School.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
SGTVentris
Paratrooper

Post by SGTVentris »

I'll second that. I had a f*ed leg in RIP hold and instead of waiting around for it to heal I took the med-drop and I REGRET IT! Now I have to go through a ridiculous ass-pain to try and go back and reverse my bad decision. If you want it bad enough you will do your jumps, sit on those bleachers with your crutches, take the jokes, PT what you can, and then go through the course.
(AR) 375th Trans GRP - 2003-2005 (OIF)
(AR) 3/348th TSB - 2005-2007
Training - 2007-2008
MID 1/7th SFG (OEF)

Airborne School - January 2008

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
- Isaiah 6:8
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Here's a no shit story of young Private Nomad.

During my Basic/AIT graduation, we had the unbelievable luck of having a half dozen fucksticks talk on our behalf about how great the Army was, what they'd done, thanked Susie Rottencrothes third born's niece for being an upstanding American etc. This charade lasted a little over three hours. It was a monumental downpour of rain in March at Fort Benning. Almost everyone in the class came down with something rough...and I came down with a bad ass cold. Which turned to pneumonia while I was a holdover waiting for my Airborne school class to start. It started a month later and I was in the back during the runs, had a fever going most of the time and had to wake up an hour earlier than everyone to take a steaming hot shower and cough out all the shit I could get out of my lungs before we did PT. Not that it helped much. For three miserable fucking weeks I felt like the biggest embarrassment the US Army had, after all I was at the back of the PT formation struggling to make a 9 minute mile.

Fast forward through graduation and into my two week hold post-BAC. I am still coughing but it's getting better. Doing PT twice a day on my own. However, one of the NCO's there notices and tells me to go to the TMC there. I went in and pleaded with the physician to not give me anything that would drop my RIP option slot. I'd seen the guys from my class get picked up, stood in the formation with them and was told by the RIP cadre that my name wasn't on the list. I was an ENTNAC holdover for clearance. Not too many guys argue with the RIP cadre making their case why they should not be left behind at Airborne.

Thank god the Doc at the TMC and SFC White from RGT Liasion had the trust to still send me. After two weeks holdover there I was told to report at RGT for holdover. Six more weeks because I'd missed the last class and there was Best Ranger going on, so there's the cycle break. That gave me time not only to make up for the PT ability I'd lost, but also to get over that fucking pneumonia. About three weeks after getting there it slowly disappeared with the meds the doc gave me. When I started RIP nothing in the world would have made me quit.

You have a long ways to go mentally, if you ever want to become a Ranger. Your current attitude is not what the boys there need right now. Unless you decide to plead your case for a temporary profile to have you sit out an Airborne class to heal over at BCT, think about passing that slot off to someone who wants this bad enough.

As far as how to go about quitting:

Just say "I don't want to be here. I don't want to go to RIP." They won't spend a second talking you out of it.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I don't get it. So are you on medical hold now or on profile? Are you still on Sand Hill? Is it just me, or does something about this story not sound right? :?
If I am gimping around in RIP but still trying my hardest and somehow passing the tests will they kick me out for being injured and not being able to keep up with everyone else?...
No, they will tell you to get your ass to get to sick call. The docs will call you a dumb-ass and retard for being injured and not doing anything about it, and you will be given crutches and a chance to heal.
Last edited by Sleepy Doc on January 16th, 2009, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Doc, His post is two weeks old, the kid will probably never be back here, as he's likely already over at Ft Tentpeg, reveling in the realization that all he has to look forward to for the next four years is police call, NTC rotations, motor stables, dodging details and playing convoy security roulette or standing around checkpoints providing VIED bait on looong deployments.
And wondering what or who he can milk in order to get his next easy detail.

RS 9-76

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

K.Ingraham wrote:Doc, His post is two weeks old, the kid will probably never be back here, as he's likely already over at Ft Tentpeg, reveling in the realization that all he has to look forward to for the next four years is police call, NTC rotations, motor stables, dodging details and playing convoy security roulette or standing around checkpoints providing VIED bait on looong deployments.
And wondering what or who he can milk in order to get his next easy detail.
That was one thing I loved about Batt..

NO post details!.. 8)
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “About RASP”