HK94 (MP5 semi version)

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

HK94 (MP5 semi version)

Post by rgrokelley »

I'm thinking about getting one. Anyone got any comments? How about the knockoff versions from Bobcat (Redrock), Vector, Special Weapons, or Coharie?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
BadMuther
BANNED

Re: HK94 (MP5 semi version)

Post by BadMuther »

If you can get one, get a vector. I'd stay away from special weapons or any derivitives. (Of which I think Bobcat is one, not positive.)

Fuquay gun had a special weapons that I almost bought just because of the amount of mags/accessories that went with it.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

vossman wrote:I have ordered a kit from Vector a couple months back. They are really bad about communication so it may be a pain for you. They look like well built guns and from what I understand, are built using HK parts on a Vector receiver. Hopefully, my kit will show soon.
Is it a kit minus receiver? How much?
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

First off, Coharie = Special Weapons. The companies are very closely linked together, although the owner denies it on various internet forums. Several people have checked the registries on both businesses and they come back to the same person...kind of hard to deny the link after that. :lol:

Bobcat has changed their name to Red Rock Arms or something like that try to escape their reputation, if that tells you anything about them.

That leaves Vector. In my opinion, Vector is your best choice if you have to have a clone.
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Trigger wrote:First off, Coharie = Special Weapons. The companies are very closely linked together, although the owner denies it on various internet forums. Several people have checked the registries on both businesses and they come back to the same person...kind of hard to deny the link after that. :lol:

Bobcat has changed their name to Red Rock Arms or something like that try to escape their reputation, if that tells you anything about them.

That leaves Vector. In my opinion, Vector is your best choice if you have to have a clone.
Unlike some on this list, who eat their young, I tend to be much more diplomatic (I guess it comes with age). However, you are listed as "cadet". What do you know of the HK94, or the MP5? Have you worked with one?

Damn, that took me five minutes to type out, due to constraints (see previous posts dealing with alcohol related incoherincies!)
RS - DHG 5-85
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

rgrokelley wrote:
Trigger wrote:First off, Coharie = Special Weapons. The companies are very closely linked together, although the owner denies it on various internet forums. Several people have checked the registries on both businesses and they come back to the same person...kind of hard to deny the link after that. :lol:

Unlike some on this list, who eat their young, I tend to be much more diplomatic (I guess it comes with age). However, you are listed as "cadet". What do you know of the HK94, or the MP5? Have you worked with one?

Damn, that took me five minutes to type out, due to constraints (see previous posts dealing with alcohol related incoherincies!)
Ranger Rgrokelley,

I am an extremely competitive, and sponsored, shooter in IPSC, IDPA, Steel Challenge, and 3 gun. I'm a firearm's instructor and a range officer. I put ~35,000-50,000 rounds down range a year. I'm a bit of a gunsmith, although I only work on personal guns and guns of close friends at this time. I'm basically an overall gun nut and eat, live, and breath anything that goes bang, but especially carbines (and within that, especially AR-15's).

My knowledge of firearms comes from so many places, so many people, and so many experiences that I can't lay out exactly where all that information comes from. With this particular weapon, some of it is 1st hand, handling those weapons, some of it is gained on the internet (such as Coharie and SW being the same company), and others of it is through other shooters relaying their experiences. I've shot H&K MP5's as well; I'd kill to get my hands on one (a select fire one), they're fun.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get an actual HK94, but you were asking about the clones, and of the clones, Vector has (arguably) the best reputation. Buy once, cry once, as they say. The benefit of the actual HK94 (beyond the obvious quality) is the ability to drop in a registered trigger pack if you ever acquire one (Must be registered as a machinegun with through NFA prior to '86). I'm not sure how well H&K trigger packs would work in a clone, as I've never heard of anyone dropping that kind of dough on a trigger pack and then dropping it in a clone. They aren't cheap to say the least (we're talking in the thousands), but if you have the $$$, I can't think of anything much funner than an MP5 on the range.

What you have to know about the H&K clones is that they are very touch and go, a lot of depends on the individual weapon; especially if it was home built from a kit. I've seen home builds that were absolute shit and others that were top notch quality utilizing almost all H&K parts.

HKparts.net is a good source of parts and information as well. Hope that helps.

- Trigger
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Heard similar stories about bobcat/red rock which blows because they were making a .556 FAL. No personal experience with their guns though.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

Ranger Rgrokelley

Have you considered a GSG-5? It's a .22LR MP5 clone made/imported by ATI. Can be found for about $525.

Stock configuration:
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Trigger wrote:Ranger Rgrokelley

Have you considered a GSG-5? It's a .22LR MP5 clone made/imported by ATI. Can be found for about $525.

Stock configuration:
A .22! What are you crazy MAN! I already thought I had to remove a testicle and speak French just because I was going with a 9mm!

You can't scare the bunnies, foxes, Jehovah Witnesses and hawks with a .22!!
RS - DHG 5-85
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

Ranger Rgrokelley,

Are you specifically wanting an MP5 platform weapon or are you open to other pistol caliber carbines?

Because KRISS is releasing/has released in small numbers their .45ACP carbine now. Feeds from Glock magazines, and I hear the recoil reduction buffer on it is amazing (it has a linkage that uses a buffer to redirect recoil downwards, instead of straight back).
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Trigger wrote:Ranger Rgrokelley,

Are you specifically wanting an MP5 platform weapon or are you open to other pistol caliber carbines?

Because KRISS is releasing/has released in small numbers their .45ACP carbine now. Feeds from Glock magazines, and I hear the recoil reduction buffer on it is amazing (it has a linkage that uses a buffer to redirect recoil downwards, instead of straight back).
I can go for a .45. One of the "manly" rounds.
Got a linkfor that KRISS weapon?
RS - DHG 5-85
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “Weapons of War”