New to Firearms, Advice Needed

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
kkillert0fu
Embryo

New to Firearms, Advice Needed

Post by kkillert0fu »

My only weapons experience comes from having attended two weekend long field training exercises at Camp San Luis Obispo with the ROTC program at my school. I was an uncontracted cadet for about a year. During each FTX I shot about 12-15 single shot rounds and 5 or 6 individually loaded three-round-burst magazines. My grouping actually wasn't that bad considering I had never shot a gun in my life. I also shot my buddy's AR15 a while back at some range outside of L.A.

Now that I have a little more than a year left of college, I want to purchase a legit handgun and assault rifle so on weekends I can take it out and become familiar with weapons handling. My dad wants to do it with me. Having said that, my question is: for a guy in my position, what would be examples of some decent guns to purchase in both categories? Something that I can use efficiently but also learn off of, particularly in the assault rifle category.

By the way, I graduate December 09, and immediately following I'll be reporting to basic. I'm gonna get my Option 40 in the next couple of months and be in the DEP until then. I don't want Obama to get rid of these enlistment contracts before I have the chance to secure mine.

Thanks
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

you are in CA, I would look for a SA pistol and a lever gun, that or move out of that commie state.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Horned Toad wrote: move out of that commie state.
Yep.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
kkillert0fu
Embryo

Post by kkillert0fu »

Yea, I work for the campus police department here so I'm gonna talk to some of the officers about it. I also remembered I have an uncle-in-law who is ex-SWAT, so I'll ask him about it too.

I tried looking up the laws myself but theyre so complex and convoluted that I don't even know where to begin, in addition to the fact that I know very little about the guns they speak of. Anyways, I'll get back to you guys.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

kkillert0fu wrote:Yea, I work for the campus police department here so I'm gonna talk to some of the officers about it. I also remembered I have an uncle-in-law who is ex-SWAT, so I'll ask him about it too.

I tried looking up the laws myself but theyre so complex and convoluted that I don't even know where to begin, in addition to the fact that I know very little about the guns they speak of. Anyways, I'll get back to you guys.
Can't wait.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

cams wrote:
kkillert0fu wrote:Yea, I work for the campus police department here so I'm gonna talk to some of the officers about it. I also remembered I have an uncle-in-law who is ex-SWAT, so I'll ask him about it too.

Can't wait.
I am also interested in what guidance is provided to kkillert0fu since I am seriously looking into purchasing my first firearm.

To be quite honest, I need all the help I can get, heck Ranger GSXRanger pointed out to me that an Eotech512 is not a firearm, who knew? Not me.

I apologize for hyjacking your thread kkillert0fu but if it is any consolation you probably are more in the know on firearms then I am. Thanks, Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I carry one of these in my boot. Keep in mind that I reside in Texas. This baby will stop anything in it's tracks.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Gordo173
Ranger

Re: New to Firearms, Advice Needed

Post by Gordo173 »

kkillert0fu wrote:My only weapons experience comes from having attended two weekend long field training exercises at Camp San Luis Obispo with the ROTC program at my school. I was an uncontracted cadet for about a year. During each FTX I shot about 12-15 single shot rounds and 5 or 6 individually loaded three-round-burst magazines. My grouping actually wasn't that bad considering I had never shot a gun in my life. I also shot my buddy's AR15 a while back at some range outside of L.A.

Now that I have a little more than a year left of college, I want to purchase a legit handgun and assault rifle so on weekends I can take it out and become familiar with weapons handling. My dad wants to do it with me. Having said that, my question is: for a guy in my position, what would be examples of some decent guns to purchase in both categories? Something that I can use efficiently but also learn off of, particularly in the assault rifle category.

By the way, I graduate December 09, and immediately following I'll be reporting to basic. I'm gonna get my Option 40 in the next couple of months and be in the DEP until then. I don't want Obama to get rid of these enlistment contracts before I have the chance to secure mine.

Thanks
Gonna get a bit of disagreement from the true gun guys on this one, but my .02 is.... maybe you might want to stick with what you know and what you will probably use quite often in your military career.
Having said that.....................
Look into an AR15 and though I personally don't like them, a Baretta 9mm.

but hey what do I know!
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

EarthPig wrote:I carry one of these in my boot. Keep in mind that I reside in Texas. This baby will stop anything in it's tracks.

RLTW
EP
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

It's less important what you get since your goal is training.
So buy some reliabe .22 plinkers and practice, practice, and practice some more. Ruger makes some nice .22s that a lot of serious shooters use. Besides, ammo adds up - and will really add up once B.Hussein Obama starts taxing by the bullet.
Check out some local gun clubs and see if there's any NRA sanctioned beginers courses localy.

or sign up here:
viewtopic.php?t=45233
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
kkillert0fu
Embryo

Post by kkillert0fu »

Sorry I have not responded in a while. I've had finals and work, and not too much time to get any information anyway. Thank you for the responses, the information provided from you guys has helped a lot. I will see about purchasing an AR type gun and/or Beretta 9mm. I still need to update myself completely on the laws regarding the owndership of said weapons, and I'll update when I do.
LRS Guy
Ranger

Post by LRS Guy »

Heres my .02

Become a good shooter before anything else. You are a college student so I assume cash is in short supply. Get a good 22 pistol & 22 rifle. Can't go wrong with Ruger 22 s (Single-six revolver, MK II semi-auto handgun & 10/22 rifle. Though there are many good 22 rifles out, might go for a bolt-action as they are a tad more accurate IMHO.

Check and see if your college has a rifle team. Mine had a pretty good one with a indoor range, that students could shoot at. Even had 22 you could rent.

Welcome to the world of shooting sports!

Oh yea, join the NRA asap!
RS 1-92
1-504 PIR 89-90
3-504 PIR 90-92
H. Co 121 INF (LRSC) 97-00
134th INF (LRSD)01-02
Back to living the LRS Life in the 143rd LRSD!

Confirmed "Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard"

Return to “Weapons of War”