question about allergy meds

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
thekman
Egg

question about allergy meds

Post by thekman »

I've looked for quite a while on these forums and haven't found a clear answer. Forgive me if I overlooked it, but I don't believe I did. I have year round allergies to things outdoors and possibly even in-doors...and I don't mean like "Oh no, I sneeze some!" I mean like if I don't stay on a regular antihistamine (like an OTC 24 hour pill like zyrtec), then my head clogs up so badly I can't breathe through my nose (kind of like when you have a bad cold), which has lead to sinusitis and even an upper respiratory infection in the past, but not that often.

I just made it sound a lot worse than it is...if I take an allergy pill then I don't ever have any problems at all. The reason I'm asking isn't going to determine whether or not I enlist, because when push comes to shove I can grind my way through even with a stopped up head, but I might not want to take an option 40 as this would just be an added stress to an already extremely demanding thing.

My question is will they allow me to take an allergy pill at BCT, AIT, Airborne and RIP/RS? Would I need to go to sick call to get them to give me something? How would it work?
Atrum-Rivalen
Tadpole

Post by Atrum-Rivalen »

Something similar was asked on another Army Forum I am a member of, and was answered by someone in the know there.

The response was along the lines of, what if the medication you need couldn't be given to you? That could be a potential detriment to yourself and others around you.

Then again, I'm no expert. Just trying to help.
thekman
Egg

Post by thekman »

Well, like I said...it's not a necessity, it's something I could keep on trucking without and it's not life threatening or serious. I have no severe allergies to anything, its more like having a head cold a lot of the time. There have to be other people that know what I'm talking about, it's pretty much hay fever, except on steroids and year round. I guess my question is if they allow like an allergy pill, and if not then should I even bring that up at MEPS?
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

thekman wrote:Well, like I said...it's not a necessity, it's something I could keep on trucking without and it's not life threatening or serious. I have no severe allergies to anything, its more like having a head cold a lot of the time. There have to be other people that know what I'm talking about, it's pretty much hay fever, except on steroids and year round. I guess my question is if they allow like an allergy pill, and if not then should I even bring that up at MEPS?
If you enlist - all prescription medication will be taken from you within your first 30 minutes at reception battalion. Typically (and this is not a 100% absolute) you will be allowed to keep a 24 hour dosage and will forfeit the rest. The next morning, you will see a doctor, who will re-prescribe your meds. The only exception to this that I've ever seen is birth control meds for females.

You have to bring it up at MEPS, or be prepared to do without it, if it is a medical condition the Army doesn't allow. Even if it is something that disqualifies you - don't hide the truth about medical conditions when going through the enlistment process.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

The correct fix is this:

Go see an allergist and start shots. You can be allergy free in a year.

I recommend Cool Springs Allergy up in Franklin. My brother-in-law is the MD.

Short term fix is to take the pills with you and see what's up. Keep in mind, you'll train in a different area of the country and may or may not have the same allergy causing stuff in the air.

I know what your talking about. My little brother was always horrible with allergies. He moved to Wyoming to get away from his.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
thekman
Egg

Post by thekman »

Rangers,

I appreciate your responses, I'll keep the suggestions in mind. I'll be going to MEPS within the next couple of weeks so I'll check back in and let you know what they tell me. I know it's not a DQ'ing condition, I was just curious as to how the Army operates as far as this goes, because I'm sure a lot of current soldiers have minor allergies like mine. Thanks.

Return to “Medical Issues”