Any suggestions regarding fire arm resources for kids

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Hello,
I used the search feature to see if there were any posts related to providing training/ instruction of fire arms for children especially when a child is extremely uncomfortable around them.

If anyone can suggest any books, websites, classes or instructors in the WA state area that can help address familiarizing children with fire arms it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

You're too fucking blonde to be arming your kids!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Post by Ranger Andy »

Google the NRA to see if they have any kiddie firearm safety courses in your area. Other than that, buy a .22 and take the kid out shooting. After the .22, try a .38, then a 9mm, then a .357, then a .45, then a 105 howitzer, then ask the Air Force if you may drop some stuff from a B-52 and so on and so... It's Miller time, I'm outta here!
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Post by Ranger Andy »

NRA: www.nra.org They have the Eddie Eagle and youth programs. The NRA also has a magazine for kids.

Washington State Rifle & Pistol Assn: www.wsrpa.org They are the state organization for the NRA. They should be able to help you with Eddie Eagle and youth programs in your area.

Shoot high, aim low... (music from the group "Yes" from their "Big Generator" album)
Last edited by Ranger Andy on October 27th, 2008, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
Oto-Man
Ranger

Re: Any suggestions regarding fire arm resources for kids

Post by Oto-Man »

Jenny Lynn wrote:...children especially when a child is extremely uncomfortable around them.

I Echo the other advice you have gotten regarding Eddie and the NRA.

Only questions are how many, how old, and what happened to create a situation where a child is viewed as extremely uncomfortable around guns?
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

Another idea would be to see if there is an NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) club in your area. Every once in a while they hold events where new shooters can come and shoot (for free, ammo provided) with professional instruction (also free). If you're not comfortable teaching the child yourself, this is a viable option.

For a basic education (and hopefully overcoming his or her fear), the NRA Eddie Eagle program is a start.
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

Be careful, forcing a gun on someone is a good way of turning them off for life.

give them a good gun friendly home and and let them make their own decisions.
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Jenny,

Good advice from the Rangers here - follow up on that. NRA Youth Programs link: http://www.nrahq.org/youth/index.asp

I would add that a big help to the child in becoming more comfortable around guns will be for you to be well trained and comfortable around them yourself. To do this, I'd recommend that you find a good gun place or contact the NRA for an instructor in your area, and take a basic pistol or rifle or shotgun class. That's just the tip of the iceburg, for to really get this stuff down, you will need to - rather regularly - at least monthly - go shooting by yourself. The more time you've spend shooting and handling guns, the more comfortable you'll be around them, and the more familiar you'll be with all the aspects of gun safety (handle, clean, store, etc.) When you are educated and physically and mentally comfortable with a gun, then you can convey that to the child.
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

Kilted Heathen wrote:You're too fucking blonde to be arming your kids!
I did, I'm blonde, and I think it turned out quite well, so far.
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Re: Any suggestions regarding fire arm resources for kids

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Oto-Man wrote:
Jenny Lynn wrote:...children especially when a child is extremely uncomfortable around them.

I Echo the other advice you have gotten regarding Eddie and the NRA.

Only questions are how many, how old, and what happened to create a situation where a child is viewed as extremely uncomfortable around guns?
Ranger Oto-Man,
One 11 year I'll refer to him as "Z", his family, is not sure why Z is uncomfortable around fire arms; recently, his mom (one of my best friends) and step-dad took him to a range their expectation was after receiving guidance, support he would work through the anxiety after the 1st few times of firing the weapon.

Ranger Black 6,
This family is a good gun friendly home, his step-dad is career Army NCO and maternal grandfather is retired career Army NCO and his mom's late father was a Calif. LEO.

Ranger Andy, Door Gunner, Trigger and Ardent Lady,
My best friend and I have discussed all the wonderful information that everyone has posted here. She believes that her son may need some more time and as many have suggested does not want to push her son until he is ready and comfortable with the issue.

I was a bit surprised when she asked my opinion about this until she mentioned her husband Z's step-dad is at training and will be getting ready to deploy after that.

Ranger Kilted Heathen and Boudicca,
Good thing Z's family is a bunch of red-headed Irish folk.

This big, blonde kid has less experience with fire arms then Z does, you all can rest assured that this blonde will not be out there performing any fire arms training anytime soon.
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
abn-rgr
Ranger

Post by abn-rgr »

+1 on NRA's Eddie the Eagle. My girls have been shooting 22 handguns and rifles since they were 5 with Eddie (and my) help. I have a couple copies of his DVD I can send to you. Im pretty sure they are free through the NRA as well.
RS 04-94
"Hard and Cold for the Black and Gold"
Ne Desit Virtus
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

Everybody has different interests; perhaps he is uncomfortable because he is not interested in gun stuff. I wouldn't force the issue.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Bring the child to the ranch. By the time he leaves he will WANT to close with and deptroy the uh....uhh...target.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”