Somali pirates want $20 million ransom for cargo ship

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

20 million ransom?

What are they going to do with the tanks if they dont get the ransom?

Sink the damn ship!
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I don't know the source of the cargo either, but Ukraine has been plenty enough of an arms dealer - the Georgian targets, er, I mean T-72s mostly came via Ukraine, so that's the most likely origin, without anything else to go by.

Either way, it's a good moment for the Russians to demonstrate again that they are back on the world stage.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

"We want ransom, nothing else. We need $20 million for the safe release of the ship and the crew," Ali said, adding that "if we are attacked, we will defend ourselves until the last one of us dies."
One Mk. 48 doesn't leave a lot of time for defending...hell...they'd be lucky to get in enough time to jump overboard. :twisted:
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

More evidence that history repeats itself. The united States fought its first overseas war in 1805 against the Barbary Coast pirates. Either our Navy or someone else's should take care of this.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

K.Ingraham wrote:I don't know the source of the cargo either, but Ukraine has been plenty enough of an arms dealer - the Georgian targets, er, I mean T-72s mostly came via Ukraine, so that's the most likely origin, without anything else to go by.

Either way, it's a good moment for the Russians to demonstrate again that they are back on the world stage.
In my industry we often see arms and weapons on the market looking for a means to be transported. It’s very common. It could have been a Greek ship or any other ship for that matter. Other countries don’t have laws like the U.S. that require a U.S. flag ship to carry U.S. arms.

The issue for me is how did the pirates find out about this shipment and who is the cargo underwriter? Could the insured amount be larger than the cost of the cargo? Who is the cargo shipper and who is the receiver? It all comes down to paper work and who benefits from this mess….

In the end if the ship and cargo is lost the insurance will cover it but lives at sea should be saved.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

RTO wrote:Sink the damn ship!
Why not just sink Somalia? It would make a nice manmade reef for all the little sea creatures.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

EarthPig wrote:
Why not just sink Somalia? It would make a nice manmade reef for all the little sea creatures.

RLTW
EP
Yep.
Be a shame to lose such a beautiful place...but just think about all the suffering it would end.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Invictus wrote:
EarthPig wrote:

RLTW
EP
Yep.
Be a shame to lose such a beautiful place...but just think about all the suffering it would end.
Your both wrong. Turds float, that shit pile wont sink.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Update:
Somali Pirates Threaten to Blow Up Hijacked Ship if No Ransom Is Paid

So, basically, if the ship gets sunk, whether or not the hostages are rescued, it can be blamed on the pirates with plausible deniabilty. Hmm, anyone else think those dumbasses just ensured their own doom?
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I'll say this for them; the Russians (ex-Soviets) aren't afraid of a little collateral damage when it comes to shit like this. If they do go commando on them (and I hope they do) I'll bet that every last one of the pirates is taken out (to the point of loosing the ship and crew)

Anybody remember why there weren't many Soviets/Russians taken hostage in the 80's? (unlike the westerners?)...

The the one time it happened, the Soviets went after the family of the guy who lead the kidnapping their people. (I always wondered why we never took the same approach?..) It put an end to that shit right-quick. I distinctly remember reading a news report where Soviet spokes-people were like, "yeah, our citizens might die.. but a lot more of theirs will too"

They are some Gangsta motherfuckers when it comes to this kinda shit..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “The News Dump”