Ankle Question

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Ankle Question

Post by 289sotherhalf »

I need some advice on an issue I'm having with my foot and ankle. Any information or advice is appreciated. My Doc moved, but I'm in the process of finding a new one to replace him.

Long story short, some of you know, I dislocated my ankle and fractured my Talus (comminuted) and the lateral malleolus (I think an avulsion). Recent X-rays show that the bones are in proper alignment and healed. I have hardware in place. My ROM is pretty good considering. It used to be swollen to the size of a grapefruit when I got home from work, but thanks to the glucosamine I'm taking, it's gone down a good deal (Thanks to all of you who gave me that advice, :wink:. )

Now, lately I don't know what the deal is with this...
For ex: I'll be walking, and step wrong --or-- I'll be falling asleep, and my foot will twitch so hard that I can hear this loud cracking sound right before this ungodly pain shoots up my leg. Could I be pinching a nerve or could it be popping out of joint or something? Is there some way I can check this?

Again, thanks, and apologies if I sound like a whiny bitch, :oops: :wink: .
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

apologies if I sound like a whiny bitch..
If there was anyone we would make allowances for, It would be you.

Could I be pinching a nerve or could it be popping out of joint or something?
Absolutely. Possibly both.

Is there some way I can check this?
Prolly not. However, when you are looking for a new Doc, try and find a cat who specializes in sports injuries or orthopedics.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
edisapimp
Tadpole

Post by edisapimp »

What kind of hardware is it, and what is the hardware made of? Is it steel? Titanium?

I'll explain why in a minute.

As far as the "popping" versus the "cracking": Usually the "cracking" is just associated with the synovial fluid moving into and imploding upon an empty space when you stretch out a joint, sounds like "cracking" your knuckles, whereas the "popping" is usually associated with a dislocation and relocation. An easy way to differentiate is if one always happens when you bear weight on it or not. A "pop" or dislocation will almost never occur without weightbearing or torsion - i.e; just sitting on your bed rolling your ankle around will not be sufficient to dislocate it (usually).

The pain you're describing *might* be the result of a phenomenon that happens to people who have orthopedic stabilization hardware in place such as a plates, screws, rods, etc. The "crack" of the joint is sometimes enough to cause the metal in these to vibrate, much like a tuning fork vibrates after being struck. This vibrational energy is enough to excite surrounding neurons with an action potential making you sensitive to pain, which may explain the cascade of pain you described shooting up your leg. Best bet is to do what Sleepy Doc recommends and get a doc with a decent ortho background to check you out.
Current - USAMEDAC - Ft. Dix, NJ
68WM6/N9/Y8/Z6 SGT, FOB Victory FAS NCOIC

OEF '06-'07
173d ABCT - USAREUR's Airborne Option!
289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Thank you, Ranger The Sleepy Doc! I'm on the search for a qualified Ortho Surgeon.

Edisapimp, thank you as well! To answer your question, I'm not sure. I have to get a copy of my records to confirm. I have a screw through my heal bone into my talus holding those pieces. I also have something else, either wire or screw(s) in there. Believe me when I say, I have so many screws, plates, and pieces of wire in place, sometimes it's hard to keep track, :oops: .

Thanks again! :D
~Ranger Wife~

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

I am going to have my wife address this. DJB

I have a little knowledge of foot and ankle. The ankle joint is very stable and it is not likely to be popping out of joint. What is more likely happening, is that your tendons on the outside of your foot/ankle are still weak after the injury. These could pop and give you pain up your leg. You need to strengthen these muscles and tendons. A large rubber band or towel around the foot to provide resistance and work on pointing the foot out. If this does not provide some relief, it is possible that you tore some tissue in the ankle that holds those tendons in position. The tendons will sometimes pop or rub over the outside ankle bone. This may ned to be fixed surgically.
Good luck
-DJB's Betterhalf

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by DJB on September 7th, 2008, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Thank you, Ranger DJB, and please tell your wife thank you as well! 8)

I have an appointment next week with an Ortho Surgeon, so hopefully we will find something out.
~Ranger Wife~

289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Well, I did go to the Dr. today. The cartilage in the joints above and below my Talus have undergone some pretty significant degeneration since my films done in July. The cartilage is showing signs of calcification and I'm told there's nothing I can do to reverse that damage, with my option in the future being an ankle fusion. :? This is apparently why I'm having the problems I'm having now. I still have a lot of research to do, and of course, a second opinion to get on the matter.

Thanks again for the info and advice!
~Ranger Wife~

DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Sorry to hear that. I hope things work out.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

DJB wrote:Sorry to hear that. I hope things work out.
Thank you, Ranger. I have faith that they will eventually. I just have to keep pushing myself, suck it up and drive on, and address issues as they arise.
~Ranger Wife~

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

289sotherhalf wrote:Well, I did go to the Dr. today. The cartilage in the joints above and below my Talus have undergone some pretty significant degeneration since my films done in July. The cartilage is showing signs of calcification and I'm told there's nothing I can do to reverse that damage, with my option in the future being an ankle fusion. :? This is apparently why I'm having the problems I'm having now. I still have a lot of research to do, and of course, a second opinion to get on the matter.

Sounds like what I was told when I had my exit physical. I believe the doctor said "Holy Shit!" when he examined my left ankle it was so bad. 6 years of chronic sprains had a similar effect and he said the outcome would be the same eventually. Apparently it is slowly grinding away, although from the sounds of it not nearly as badly as yours. "It may not be tomorrow, but the joint will eventually fail and you will need a cane one day.."

I'm really looking forward to it. So you'll have some good company in the handicapped parking spaces.. :wink:

BTW, how is the car making out?..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:
289sotherhalf wrote:Well, I did go to the Dr. today. The cartilage in the joints above and below my Talus have undergone some pretty significant degeneration since my films done in July. The cartilage is showing signs of calcification and I'm told there's nothing I can do to reverse that damage, with my option in the future being an ankle fusion. :? This is apparently why I'm having the problems I'm having now. I still have a lot of research to do, and of course, a second opinion to get on the matter.

Sounds like what I was told when I had my exit physical. I believe the doctor said "Holy Shit!" when he examined my left ankle it was so bad. 6 years of chronic sprains had a similar effect and he said the outcome would be the same eventually. Apparently it is slowly grinding away, although from the sounds of it not nearly as badly as yours. "It may not be tomorrow, but the joint will eventually fail and you will need a cane one day.."

I'm really looking forward to it. So you'll have some good company in the handicapped parking spaces.. :wink:

BTW, how is the car making out?..
Thanks, Ranger. That parking space is going to have to wait a while, :wink:. I hope I won't need that for a long time to come now. What can I say, I like to think positively, :D . I keep hoping that my cane will end up in some black hole, :lol: . No such luck, however, I've pretty much ditched it 'cept for occasionally here and there.

As for the vehicle, lets just say that "fantastically" is an understatement, 8).
~Ranger Wife~

Return to “Medical Issues”