Prior Service, TADpole...

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

HeavyT
US Navy

Prior Service, TADpole...

Post by HeavyT »

This is going to be long so I apologize in advance. I’ve been in the Navy for 3 years now. I joined to be a member of the SWCC (Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewmen, now Special Warfare Boat Operator) teams. Long story short they cheated me out of it in boot camp while I was TADpoleing (working, PTing, doing bitch jobs for SEALs and SWCCs) saying because of my rate I was ineligible for BCT and CQT. So rather then have me sign new orders and get a new rate to where I could keep SWCC I was made to drop SWCC and keep my rate. So I came to the fleet and though I have had some great experiences and have learned a lot, I always wanted more. So the next 2 years I worked out and did my job never losing sight of my dream of Special Warfare after being here 2 years I got the balls enough to go over to the NSW compound on base and let them know of my intentions. And so for the past year now I have been PTing exclusively with SEALs and SWCCs in their TADpole program. I’m qualified for diving duty as per my BUDs physical, I have taken the Navy's PST with the following results:

Push-ups -112
Sit-ups - 87
Dead hang pull-ups - 23
500-meter sidestroke swim - 10.34
Mile and a half run, boots and trousers - 9.45

I even got a recommendation letter for the NSW motivators themselves. So after my chain of command loses my request 5, yes 5 times it finally gets sent off with a 4 point ASVAB waiver that every one told me was "nothing" and "don't even worry about 4 points" as I’ve made good contacts within the community (only a little over 500 SWCCs navy wide). But some snot nosed little desk jockey in Millington sent my request back with my waiver denied. It hadn't even made it to Coronado!

I’ve been sucking it up and paying my dues for 3 years. The time for my reenlistment is coming up and honestly the Navy has not given me reason enough to stay. I want to be in to fight. At this point in my enlistment I did not see myself of a ship. So I went to the army recruiter and I’m going to send a request for "blue to green" which finally brings me to my questions; 1. Is there a type of "preenlistment guarantee" I can get for Airborne and Ranger school? 2. Does the Ranger program accept ASVAB waivers? 3. Is studying for and retaking the ASVAB an easy thing to do in the Army? At this point in my life I just want to be in the fight.

Thanks again Rangers
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

HeavyT

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Squid.

Are these pt #'s timed or max?

Rangers will be along to soon. Nice intro.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
HeavyT
US Navy

Re: HeavyT

Post by HeavyT »

Steadfast wrote:Welcome Squid.

Are these pt #'s timed or max?

Rangers will be along to soon. Nice intro.
the push ups and sit ups are how many done correctly in 2 mins, the pull ups arn't timed. and the run, for my age is a max of 12:30 and the swim my max is 13:00. of course i did have 3 years to prepare. i just feel i have much more to offer my country than what my job is now..

thanks fellas
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Welcome. I'm sure someone will be along to answer your questions. But you should also try the "Search" button below the "guestbook".
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
edisapimp
Tadpole

Post by edisapimp »

Welcome, Heavy T.

I honestly hope the Army can provide you with what you are looking for from your military career, since it seems the Navy has let you down a bit. Best wishes for all your endeavours - take advice from the Rangers here and never never quit!
Current - USAMEDAC - Ft. Dix, NJ
68WM6/N9/Y8/Z6 SGT, FOB Victory FAS NCOIC

OEF '06-'07
173d ABCT - USAREUR's Airborne Option!
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Welcome and thanks for serving.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Welcome to the site.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Welcome.

You can get a Ranger contract for a shot at life in the Ranger Regiment.

You can also get Airborne School in your contract for enlistment. As far as RS, I'm not sure.

Hopefully a recruiter or more knowledgeable guy will come along and be able to answer your questions.
LRP1
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by LRP1 »

Welcome Navy..
HHC 2/502 Recondo 66 -67 RVN
1FFV Echo LRP 20th INF (ABN) 67 - 68
Team 1 1
Satan's Playboys
From Hell We Rise
B Co Omega Recon CCS RT Hammer
75Th RRA Life Member 2189
Special Operations Association Member 2907-GA
Secretary, Worldwide Army Rangers, Inc

Professional Soldiers Are Predictable; The World Is full Of Dangerous Amateurs.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Hello
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
HeavyT
US Navy

Re: ,

Post by HeavyT »

Chiron wrote:Welcome. I'm sure someone will be along to answer your questions. But you should also try the "Search" button below the "guestbook".
Oh, I did for about a day or so. Not just on this site but all over the web. Then figured the best way was to ask someone.

Also, the career counselor onboard is telling me that it's not possible for the navy to release me before my enlistment is through. I’m just going to route my DD 368 anyways and see what they say. Their saying I have to stay here another year to meet my EAOS. It says on goarmy.com: "(Blue to Green) It facilitates the transfer of qualified Air Force and Navy individuals to active duty in the Army, depending on your service's willingness to release you from your current active service obligation." http://www.goarmy.com/btg/

Which tells me I just need to talk to the upper chain of command on the boat. I’d hate to think the navy is blowing smoke up my ass again. :roll:
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

It sounds like they are giving you the run around. I don't blame you for not wanting to stay. You might have to wait till you separate from the Navy. I don't think that prior service can get the Option 40, but I could be wrong. Your PT looks strong, but the numbers may be a little misleading. (I remember how the BUD/S guys did push ups in Airborne and not many did them to standard..but they could do a fuck ton of them!..) However I doubt you would have any problem with Battalion style PT, if you have been working out with the SEALs. They come as advertised, in regards to PT.

Good luck with it, and if you don't get what you want from the Navy, try not to make any waves!...

(haw! haw!... Get it? Waves!.. Hoo Boy!..I slay myself!..)
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
HeavyT
US Navy

Post by HeavyT »

yeah so, just an update.. i got approved for "Blue to Green" but i have to wait out until my EAOS for the Navy.. m'well, looking like March 09 I'll be released and in WTC. but yeah, 11B and airborne school i can get right on as for RS I'll have to wait and pay my due in the Army. but because i am the shit shouldn't be a hard process. 8)

another question though; are Rangers considered "special operators"? i joined for special warfare and i'm going to get it.. sooner or later

thanks fellas
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Looks like another "Strong" Ranger in the making. Good on you for your perserverance.

I think you will find the Army has what you are looking for. Good Luck
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers

Return to “Introduction Archive”