Shoulder Strength

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
candyman
Paratrooper

Shoulder Strength

Post by candyman »

My shoulders are decently strong from years and years of running but, when on long hikes with weight in a rucksack my shoulders start to kill me. Any suggestions for workouts that I may not already be doing to help them get stronger?
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. (Vince Lombardi)

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

B/2-75 Ranger Bn
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Shoulder Strength

Post by Baseplate »

candyman wrote:My shoulders are decently strong from years and years of running but, when on long hikes with weight in a rucksack my shoulders start to kill me. Any suggestions for workouts that I may not already be doing to help them get stronger?

Get over it when you road march your fucking shoulders hurt. Let me guess when you road march you feet hurt too?
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Rucksaka too heavy, noooo marchy today
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Make sure you're packing your weight correctly. The general rule of thumb is that the higher and closer to your back (the frame) that you can get the weight, the more comfortable it will be.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
candyman
Paratrooper

Post by candyman »

Ranger Tenn-RGR, about 65lbs for 8 miles with weight plates inside. I've only been doing it for about 2 weeks so I'd guess I might be over doing it?
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. (Vince Lombardi)

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

B/2-75 Ranger Bn
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Rucka Sacka too hebby!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
candyman
Paratrooper

Post by candyman »

Thank you Ranger Tenn-RGR.

For a diet plan, what would you recommend? The last time I ran hardcore was at the State Meet on June 4 of this year. My recruiters including one who was a Ranger with 2/75th said that because of my talents running that I could take the summer off from running, and I have done so since then. Generally it takes me only 2 weeks to get back into great shape after months off, running sub 12 min 2 miles. Do you, having been through everything, agree with me being able to be able to handle the cardio work outs during RIP like my recruiter does, even after the time I've taken off? I know we run a lot at BAT, but to get to my prime like track I'd have to run 50+ mile a week and I would guess that we don't peak distances like that although I would feel great knowing I could be at that level again heading into RIP. Also, protein shakes, I've recently gone off of them and have noticed a considerable decrease in brute strength since I'm usually within 135-140lb range when competing and I'm wondering if I should expect to get back to 160 during BCT since it is my natual body weight and PT cardio wise won't be as intense as I'm used to.

Sorry about all of the questions but I only have 10 days until I'm gone and would like to do what I can, the right way by you Rangers.

-- THANKS!

B/2-75 Ranger Bn
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

candyman wrote:Thank you Ranger Tenn-RGR.

For a diet plan, what would you recommend? The last time I ran hardcore was at the State Meet on June 4 of this year. My recruiters including one who was a Ranger with 2/75th said that because of my talents running that I could take the summer off from running, and I have done so since then. Generally it takes me only 2 weeks to get back into great shape after months off, running sub 12 min 2 miles. Do you, having been through everything, agree with me being able to be able to handle the cardio work outs during RIP like my recruiter does, even after the time I've taken off? I know we run a lot at BAT, but to get to my prime like track I'd have to run 50+ mile a week and I would guess that we don't peak distances like that although I would feel great knowing I could be at that level again heading into RIP. Also, protein shakes, I've recently gone off of them and have noticed a considerable decrease in brute strength since I'm usually within 135-140lb range when competing and I'm wondering if I should expect to get back to 160 during BCT since it is my natual body weight and PT cardio wise won't be as intense as I'm used to.

Sorry about all of the questions but I only have 10 days until I'm gone and would like to do what I can, the right way by you Rangers.

-- THANKS!
You need a reality check...you are not going to make any great fitness strides in 10 days. I suggest you concentrate on getting your affairs in order and just do some maintenance PT.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

viewtopic.php?t=43112

Read this post for the latest, freshest word from OSUT. In fact, I'd bet that if you sent him a PM, he'd give you his cell number.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
candyman
Paratrooper

Post by candyman »

Thank you Rangers, 42L5V, Tenn-RGR and Silverback.

I am in good shape still, I can still run in the low 5 min range for my mile so hopefully beyond that I have some tolerance to lactic acid. I'll try and post a sitrep once I'm gone about my physical shape.

B/2-75 Ranger Bn

Return to “About Army Physical Training”