Ranger Battalion Questions

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Grunt11B
Embryo

Ranger Battalion Questions

Post by Grunt11B »

Hello,

My name is Jake im currently enlisted in the Infantry, an E4 and going to the board in less than a month. My question is about going to a Ranger Battalion. As an E4 or E4(p) is it possible to go to R.I.P.? I know if it is possible and i can go to R.I.P and i get to a battalion im going to be nothing and without that tab even less than nothing but its what im looking for. I have been talking with a guy on my team (im currently deployed to Afghanistan) who was an R.I. and he has been telling me how it is, and how it will be. Is it not a good idea to try and get into battalion already having served in the regular army and having a deployment under my belt? I know its mainly privates fresh from AIT that go to battalion so there pretty much born into it and look down on others who weren't "raised threw battalion" is this a false statement? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, due to bandwidth limitations at my location i was unable to read all the "sticky's" so i hope i posted this in the right area.

Very Respectfully,
Jake
SGT USA INF 2006-Present
OEF 2007-2008
OIF 2009-2010
“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.â€
testedone

Post by testedone »

Hey Jake, to save yourself some time and trouble here, you need to go over the introductions forum and introduce yourself before you start posting around here.

Here is the link for intro's

viewforum.php?f=26
Grunt11B
Embryo

Post by Grunt11B »

Thank you for your guidance,

I have posted an introduction.

Very Respectfully
Jake
SGT USA INF 2006-Present
OEF 2007-2008
OIF 2009-2010
“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.â€
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: Ranger Battalion Questions

Post by hit_it »

Grunt11B wrote:Hello,

My name is Jake im currently enlisted in the Infantry, an E4 and going to the board in less than a month. My question is about going to a Ranger Battalion. As an E4 or E4(p) is it possible to go to R.I.P.? I know if it is possible and i can go to R.I.P and i get to a battalion im going to be nothing and without that tab even less than nothing but its what im looking for. I have been talking with a guy on my team (im currently deployed to Afghanistan) who was an R.I. and he has been telling me how it is, and how it will be. Is it not a good idea to try and get into battalion already having served in the regular army and having a deployment under my belt? I know its mainly privates fresh from AIT that go to battalion so there pretty much born into it and look down on others who weren't "raised threw battalion" is this a false statement? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, due to bandwidth limitations at my location i was unable to read all the "sticky's" so i hope i posted this in the right area.

Very Respectfully,
Jake
So he was a RI telling you how to get into RIP? Was he in a battalion before?

E-4's go to RIP, though I'm sure it's a smaller number lately.

E-5's go to ROP. I would think you need your tab in order to apply as an NCO.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Grunt11B wrote:Hello,

Very Respectfully,
Jake
To answer the question in bold, yes. I believe now even E-5's go through RIP. To say that you're less than nothing without your Tab is not true. I imagine there are a number of Hooah's on here that would take offense to that, especially given the current OPTEMPO...fighting the war takes precedence over getting your Tab. That being said, there should be opportunities to go to RS.

As far as imports go, that really depends on you. Matt Eversman was an import, and he had an impeccable reputation. You might catch a little extra heat for it, but I'm told that builds character. It would be a cold day in hell before I let what others think stop me from reaching my goal.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Invictus wrote:It would be a cold day in hell before I let what others think stop me from reaching my goal.
I think that really answers most all of your questions.

Just to reaffirm what Tenn-RGR said, SGT and below are RIP. SSG and above are ROP.

I heard lots of bullshit when I was on my way in too. It won't stop with whoever this guy is either. People will tell you that you can't do it all the way to Fort Benning. Or that it isn't a good idea. Or it's not right for you. There is only one way to find out.

I've met great guys that were raised outside of Regiment. And I've met some not so great ones. Which one will you be?

As a side note... I'll try to find out if they are taking non-tabbed infantry NCO's right now. If someone else knows for sure, go ahead and say so.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Who cares whether or not people look down on imports to Battalion? Rangers aren't there to win popularity contests; they're there to put rounds on target. If you know your shit and you pay attention to your leadership, it won't matter where you're from.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Grunt11B
Embryo

Post by Grunt11B »

Moderator Hit_It, The individual im talking about was never in a Ranger Battalion as far as he has told me. Just been Ranger qualified and was a Ranger Instructor. He is a highly knowledgable highly motivated Ranger who helped me see the light.

To all Rangers who have replied to my post, thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post. The best thing happend to me today, I sent my branch manager an email and the Ranger branch manager, of course as lazy (or busy) as my branch manager is he never replied to my question about geting into R.I.P. but the Ranger branch manager was quick to shoot me an email back. So I will be giving him my information and we will be seeing what is available for this leg.

I have been improving my PT scores here since day 1. I know im still not where i need to be, "300+". But im going to start doing the PT plan i have seen on this site. Thank you all Rangers for your guidance. Im all ears for any other advice.

Very Respectfuly
Jake
SGT USA INF 2006-Present
OEF 2007-2008
OIF 2009-2010
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Grunt11B wrote:Moderator Hit_It, The individual im talking about was never in a Ranger Battalion as far as he has told me. Just been Ranger qualified and was a Ranger Instructor. He is a highly knowledgable highly motivated Ranger who helped me see the light.

To all Rangers who have replied to my post, thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post. The best thing happend to me today, I sent my branch manager an email and the Ranger branch manager, of course as lazy (or busy) as my branch manager is he never replied to my question about geting into R.I.P. but the Ranger branch manager was quick to shoot me an email back. So I will be giving him my information and we will be seeing what is available for this leg.

I have been improving my PT scores here since day 1. I know im still not where i need to be, "300+". But im going to start doing the PT plan i have seen on this site. Thank you all Rangers for your guidance. Im all ears for any other advice.

Very Respectfuly
Jake
If, and when, you get there, realize you will be expected to lead the way.

Be prepared to do so.

Otherwise, you will just be another sad story in a long line of sad stories.

Don't let that be you.

Good luck.
Grunt11B
Embryo

Post by Grunt11B »

Ranger Invictus,

Thank you for the advice, I do have a general question. Being that im curently deployed, I have my family moved to my gaining unit

1. Get Airborne and R.I.P enroute to Fort Lewis, or does it even work that way.
2. Go to 2ND ID and try and get ahold of a POC at 2ND Battalion and work from there? ( the benfit to this would be being home for a Christmas)

Rangers past and present and soldiers past and present as well, thanks for your time in reading this and the guidance i have been receiving.

Very Respectfuly
Jake
SGT USA INF 2006-Present
OEF 2007-2008
OIF 2009-2010
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

If you're on orders, you may want to really work hard with your branch to get RIP if possible.

Once you sign in at Lewis, 2ID has you and now it's next to impossible for a Joe to get out a unit after ust getting there.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”