I'm in a running slump...need advice from Rangers and Vets

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

I'm in a running slump...need advice from Rangers and Vets

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

So, after a 9 year hiatus, I'm finally running again. My regular run schedule is Mon=4 miles/35 min, Wed=6 mile/50 min; Fri=3.5 miles/30 min. I was doing fine, gradually increasing each week, up until about 3 weeks ago. I've been working a lot, and in about 2 weeks my workload will go up to ~70hrs/week until the end of the year. It's getting harder and harder to get up at 0400 and run. For the past 3 weeks, my run schedule has dropped to Mon=3.5 miles/35 minutes, Wed=3.5 miles/35 minutes; Fri=3.5 miles/35 minutes.

Here are the factors that I can think of that are effecting my energy level and running performance: Working longer and longer hours each week, lack of energy, eating less (at work, I don't have much time to eat and when I get home, I'm wore the hell out and just eat enough to make my stomach stop growling), no set running goals, and the one that pisses me off the most is I have to shit about 2 miles into the damn run and it kills the rest of the run.

I'm not sure if I should just maintain my 3.5 miles/3 times a week until work settles down, or if I should make some improvement goals and focus on meeting them. I've been through this heavy workload cycle before and after 5 months, I'm barely functioning.

I appreciate any advice that is given.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Get a training partner. That's all that gets me out of bed some mornings. Peer pressure is a mofo.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

As you mentioned, cut back your running to a few miles three times a week. That will maintain your conditioning until your work schedule allows you more time to rest and carry on with other things in your life.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
jamber97
Embryo

Post by jamber97 »

For theBM 2 miles into your run you might try drinking around 32oz or more of water 15-30 mins before you run. This should encourage a bowel movement before your run.

The key is to do what you need to do in order to poop before you run. Its a common problem most runners have. The jarring you receive from running tend to irritate the bowels.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift; that's why they call it the
present" - Eleanor Roosevelt
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

It was either SB or Puck that had posted their runs on here... can't remember which one, but they are using the Garmin Forerunner.

This really motivated me.

I had a Garmin 201, but I recently purchased a Garmin 301 from the BX on MacDill.

Now I have the heart rate monitor, and just last week, I logged over 24 miles. I have not been able to run like I used to, due to my shoulder surgery and knee surgery. But now, I am back at it in full swing.

I went to one of the local running stores... Fit 2 Run... and had a Gait analysis done. I found that I am a neutral runner... even at my size and weight. I bought a new pair of Brooks Dyad 5's, some good Lyco insoles... and now, I am running on average 2-4 miles a day.

Breaking it up with interval training and weight training. I also have my diet planned out...

I used to be able to drink all night, show up to PT at 0500 hours, and run with no problems. Not so much anymore.

Just take it slowly... and log your efforts. Get a good base line, and work from there.

Something is always better than nothing! 8)
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

GSXRanger wrote:It was either SB or Puck that had posted their runs on here... can't remember which one, but they are using the Garmin Forerunner.

This really motivated me.

I had a Garmin 201, but I recently purchased a Garmin 301 from the BX on MacDill.

Now I have the heart rate monitor, and just last week, I logged over 24 miles. I have not been able to run like I used to, due to my shoulder surgery and knee surgery. But now, I am back at it in full swing.

I went to one of the local running stores... Fit 2 Run... and had a Gait analysis done. I found that I am a neutral runner... even at my size and weight. I bought a new pair of Brooks Dyad 5's, some good Lyco insoles... and now, I am running on average 2-4 miles a day.

Breaking it up with interval training and weight training. I also have my diet planned out...

I used to be able to drink all night, show up to PT at 0500 hours, and run with no problems. Not so much anymore.

Just take it slowly... and log your efforts. Get a good base line, and work from there.

Something is always better than nothing! 8)
That was me posting my stuff...Today was a fine recovery run! Try running Heart rate vs. pace and distance..that'll allow you good recovery time and build your core speed.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

SB, as I said, you have motivated me. I noticed that you are using mapmyrun.com

is that a free service? How do you sync your Garmin to it?

Sorry AC for hijacking your thread...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

GSXRanger wrote:SB, as I said, you have motivated me. I noticed that you are using mapmyrun.com

is that a free service? How do you sync your Garmin to it?

Sorry AC for hijacking your thread...
Actually I drew my maps using the "Map my run" feature. I used the map from motion based as a cheat.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I thought I would update this. My running schedule is totally gone. I've been able to get a 2 mile run in about every other week. For those of you who care to know, I work in the Elections industry, and this election cycle has been a total bitch. I can't wait for this shit to be over. As long as whoever wins, wins big, and there's no state-wide recount, we're about 3 weeks out. Add to that about 2 weeks of rest, and I can get back to it.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: I'm in a running slump...need advice from Rangers and Ve

Post by cams »

Here are the factors that I can think of that are effecting my energy level and running performance: Working longer and longer hours each week, lack of energy, eating less (at work, I don't have much time to eat and when I get home, I'm wore the hell out and just eat enough to make my stomach stop growling), no set running goals, and the one that pisses me off the most is I have to shit about 2 miles into the damn run and it kills the rest of the run.

Just buy lots of socks. 8)
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I think it depends on your goals. If you want to maintain reasonable fitness (average as compared to the rest of society) then 10.5 miles per week isn't really too bad. If you want to be fast, or run 10Ks, then you need to work harder.

Personally, the year that I took off from running did me a lot of good. I learned to not time every run, not distance everything, and set a goal for times. It's more of an endorphin rush to just exercise, without having to compete against myself, or against last weeks' time. I ain't passing anyone - but I'm not gaining weight and getting lazy either...
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92

Return to “About Army Physical Training”