Animal Question

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

lusus
Ranger

Animal Question

Post by lusus »

Question for you squirrel-eaters and mountain folk. Out in the back yard the dog discovered a little burrow in the side of a hill with a bunch of ivy and hostas (low ground covering). Its looks to be about 6 inches deep and its lined with gray fur, presumably pulled from the mother. Three little critters sleeping away in there and I can't figure what they are.

Not rabbits, ears too small. They look to big to be chipmunks because they seem about the same size as an adult would be but they still look really young. But they have a mouse or chipmunk kind of face. Brownish fur. Ears sort of mousy but kind of drooping on the head.

Now that I think about it the little fucks might be possums, but do they burrow the babies? I thought they pouched them or they road around on its back. And we have a dog that plays ball up and down that hill non-stop, why would a possum choose there?

If they are possums, what is the downside? Should I let them be or turn the cat loose?

Thoughts from any of you sons of the soil?
C co 2/75 86-90
Class 8-88

'The will to conquer is the first condition of victory.' Frederick Foch
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Got any pics? What area do you live in?

It's almost certainly not possums, but they sound a lot like field rats.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Re: Animal Question

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

lusus wrote:Question for you squirrel-eaters and mountain folk. Out in the back yard the dog discovered a little burrow in the side of a hill with a bunch of ivy and hostas (low ground covering). Its looks to be about 6 inches deep and its lined with gray fur, presumably pulled from the mother. Three little critters sleeping away in there and I can't figure what they are.

Not rabbits, ears too small. They look to big to be chipmunks because they seem about the same size as an adult would be but they still look really young. But they have a mouse or chipmunk kind of face. Brownish fur. Ears sort of mousy but kind of drooping on the head.

Now that I think about it the little fucks might be possums, but do they burrow the babies? I thought they pouched them or they road around on its back. And we have a dog that plays ball up and down that hill non-stop, why would a possum choose there?

If they are possums, what is the downside? Should I let them be or turn the cat loose?

Thoughts from any of you sons of the soil?

You live in the NC to New York State area? If so, whistle pigs. Ground hogs.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
lusus
Ranger

Post by lusus »

RangerX wrote:Got any pics? What area do you live in?

I'll post a pic tomorrow. I live in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland Ohio. I do see lots of possums, skunks and rabbits around, but I guess they could be rats of some sort.
C co 2/75 86-90
Class 8-88

lusus
Ranger

Post by lusus »

Yana wrote:Ranger Lusus,

Did you get a look at the tails at all? It shouldn't be opossums.

Could it be a gopher or ground squirrel?
Cant see the tail, they are all snugged in tight to each other faces out. Not pulling good security either, all three sleeping.
C co 2/75 86-90
Class 8-88

rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

lusus wrote:
Yana wrote:Ranger Lusus,

Did you get a look at the tails at all? It shouldn't be opossums.

Could it be a gopher or ground squirrel?
Cant see the tail, they are all snugged in tight to each other faces out. Not pulling good security either, all three sleeping.
Opossums are marsupeal ...(that mean they carry there young like a kangaroo) when they get older they hang onto moms back.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

lusus wrote:
RangerX wrote:Got any pics? What area do you live in?

I'll post a pic tomorrow. I live in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland Ohio. I do see lots of possums, skunks and rabbits around, but I guess they could be rats of some sort.
Could be ground hogs. Full size abut the size of a pretty fat Tom Cat, brown, short legs, not much ear.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Cliv03 wrote:They are BAD news...whatever they are....KILL THEM ALL!!! And then kill the mother as she comes after hearing there whinny little screams....while you burn them. :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

The nest you desribe is most typical of cottontail rabbits and I am willing to bet that is what they are. The young would not have long ears yet. Groundhog nests will be underground. Many speciies of mice/rats have similar type nests, but the babies will be about the size of half you thumb.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Cliv03 wrote:They are BAD news...whatever they are....KILL THEM ALL!!! And then kill the mother as she comes after hearing there whinny little screams....while you burn them. :D
Glad you dont have the same thinking about kids next door.
RS Class # 7-76

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Animal Question

Post by Flesh Thorn »

lusus wrote:
Ain't sure, but they will still probably taste good. The meat will be mild and tender, but not much of it. If you want to eat them now just throw them on some hot coals and roast them whole. The skin will blacken and you can peel it off and just eat around any guts. The bones should be soft enough to eat too.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “The Mosh Pit”