Some videos shootin'

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Well, having futzed around doing this stuff... I have a first hand appreciation to your skill.

Looking great out there. Is that your 1911 that you built? The one you posted pictures of?

Awesome!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Nice shootin' stud. Last time I checked "first loser" still pays.... 8) 8) 8)

camera guy should be able to follow you...(would make for better video!!)
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Excellent!!

I'm doing my first IDPA this weekend. My Goals are:

1. Don't shoot anybody.
2. Don't shoot myself.
3. Don't shoot anybody!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Well, in the near future... I still plan on hitting you up to do a custom 1911 for me.

As far as the games go... I am still shooting my G34, however, not nearly as often as I was for a while. I am just too damned "ADD" to be able to stick with it.

All of my TDY lately, I can't get the practice time in. Besides, the group that I have to shoot with here are pretty much clueless in "real world" issues. There are only two or three shooters there that are in your level of skill. All of the rest "think" that they are.

I just can't get my mind wrapped around the "game" of it. So, I just go there and use it as a chance to work on accuracy coupled with the best speed that I can get.

Besides, I found a new hobby... RC Heli's!!! (insert geek smiley here)
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

want2race wrote:If you focus on shooting A's, you will eventually get faster. Don't worry about the game aspect of it. Trigger time is trigger time. As long as you still get pumped up (faster heart rate) it's good training. Focus on target transitions more than split times.

I chug a NOS drink before the match and after lunch to elevate my heart rate artificially. The first thing to go under stress is fine motor skills right?
I've been so AMPED before some stages I was nearly hyperventilating. Hands shaking, can't catch my breath. This is even before the timer goes off. My mind is getting used to making critical decisions, evaluating visual input and making corrections under semi adverse conditions. No I'm not getting shot at, but it's the most stress I can induce without taking fire.

I shoot better the more amped up I am.
That is some perfect advice right there... I understand exactly what you are saying. I tend to be just the opposite though. It's very strange actually... I think the first firefight I was ever in, was my most amped up ever... after that, it's almost like I get into a trance. Time seems to slow down, movements are deliberate, and I find myself almost moving by instinct.

However... when running a stage, I have butterflies, sweat, tingles, shakes, you name it. When the buzzer goes off... my brains fall out of my ears. I can't explain it... and I have not done it enough to harness that energy.

When I am working with a TAC team, in a shoot house... FX rounds, or Live Fire... that same calmness comes over me. My movements are fluid, and rehearsed... but at a match, it's like I have been on meth for a three day binge!

I can't explain it!

Keep on posting videos brother... it gives some of us motivation. Watching you run in these, makes me wanna go shoot next week.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Again, words of wisdom.

You are spot on in what you said. I often would sit and watch the guys like Shannon Smith, as he prepared for the stage... he would "air gun" and get into a zen like trance before he would "load and make ready". Once he got his game face on, it was like watching Yoda with a light saber.

Perfect analogy using the stack drills, shooting drills and such. It would be awesome to train with you... I just bought a timer, to help me with my split times. The sad part is, during the summer... I am TDY so damned much that I don't have time to get out there and train. Sure, I am in a shoot house all the time, but... shooting FX rounds is WAY different than full recoil.

Your advice does not fall on deaf ears. You have a wealth of knowledge Brother... and there are those of us on here that suck up your advice like sponges.

Anything you post is very helpful.

Towards Christmas time, I am gonna hit you up on a custom 1911, that's a promise.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

This weekend match is the "Postal". They have the course of fire on the IDPA web site and I have been practicing for a few weeks now. My biggest problem is keeping on target shooting off hand on the move with both weak and stronghand. Just can't seem to get it all together. I read that crouching a little ( instead of being very verticle helps). I practice toe/heal and heal/toe movements but still not happy with my shooting. Lucky to keep 1/2 my shots in the 0 ring. You guys have any tips to share, specifically practice tips. Won't help this week end but will in the future.

Want2race: I took your advice on the Dawson sights.... I love them. I had Springer Precission do a trigger job on my XD and it is a sweet shooting machine now. Springfield just just do this to all XD's (they offer the same work out of their custom shop).
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Return to “Weapons of War”