Ruunning- Where did you start?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Columbus
Tadpole

Ruunning- Where did you start?

Post by Columbus »

Hello Rangers. I've been doing the P.T. program from this forum and I seem to be steadily improving now with my sit-ups and push-ups. The running is kicking my a** though. I can't finish the sprint day yet (1/4 and 1/2 mile version), and the rest of it just seems to be going slowly for me.

My question is, does everyone go through such a slow improvement with running or is it just me? Where did you start and how long did it take you to get where you are now? Just feeling kind of discouraged at the moment and hoping to see others who are now Rangers that made great improvements. By the way, my inital 2-mile was around 18:30 so you have na idea of where I'm starting.

Thanks for the time Rangers,

-Columbus
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I usually start at the starting line.

Running is like anything else, slow gains at first until you get more confident and figure out that you can push your body a lot harder than you think.

First this - Try finding and running with someone you look up to who can run much faster than you and doesn't mind verbally abusing you for running slower than he can.

Next, give him your car keys or your cell phone or something important to you and let him set the goal as far as how fast he expects you to run in advance of your run. If you don't meet his expectations, he's to keep this item for the next week.

Then - Get off your ass and actually go out and run frequently. Let him know that if you don't run with him at least four times a week, he should keep your cell phone or car keys until you do.

If you can do those things you'll find yourself making remarkable progress, much more than if you just ran on your own, at a speed you felt comfortable running at, when you felt like it.

And, that's how it will be IF you're fortunate enough to make it to Bn. You'll be running with someone you look up to, who will verbally abuse if you if you run slow and that person can take something important away from you in a big hurry if you don't start getting your ass in gear when he says to, not 'when you felt like it'.
DocReeves
Embryo

Post by DocReeves »

I'm not quite in the same boat as you are, but I haven't run in a while. I just started back a few weeks ago and I used the walk/run approach. Start off slow and gradually increase your speed/distance. Check out this webpage I found and am currently using. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Hope that helps. :)
HHB 1/133 FA
Beaumont, TX 1996-1998

Det 1 1/133 FA-FIST Team
Houston, TX 1998-2002
91B-Combat Medic
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

There are different approaches to running. If you feel that what you are doing is not working for you then change what you are doing. I don't know how long you've been running for or how many gains you've made. So unless you post that you need to take a step back and wonder if you're making the improvements you want in a reasonable amount of time.

Edit: PM sent.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “About Army Physical Training”