Last Min Tips/advice/TTPs before Ranger School?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Hilo
Ranger

Last Min Tips/advice/TTPs before Ranger School?

Post by Hilo »

Rangers,

Thanks for the welcomes and, again, great site. I'll be leaving for Fort Benning tomorrow morning. I'll have a few days go get used to the pretty big temp and humidity change (it's about 45 degrees with a very low humidity at Drum right now) and then I'll begin RS on Monday 26 MAY 08.

If anyone wants to post some last min advice, thoughts, etc they are always appreciated.

I'll try to post updates throughout the course, if possible (on the passes between phases).

Thanks and take it easy,

Hilo

PS: I almost forgot. I took a mock RPFT this morning. Exceeded standards in PU/SU and the 5 mile run and finished off with pull-ups. As long as I get a fair grader the RPFT should be the start of my Ranger School experience…and not the start of my stay in the Gulag.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Take some time and go through the posts on the About Ranger School Forum. Other than that, never give up or quit.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
SupplyRanger
Ranger

Post by SupplyRanger »

-Don't be a shit bag in school is my advice
-If a Batt boy tells you something, you might wanna listen cause chances are he knows what the fuck he's talking about.
-During your PT test go all the way up and all the way down during push ups and pull ups.
-Leave your rank at your duty station because it doesn't matter in school
-Remain low key in school. Be a team player but remain low key
-Listen to your RI's. Every phase is different. Each RI is different

Lastly have fun and get your shit. Don't leave home without it!
Ranger School CL# 04-05
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Like anything else, you only get out what you put into it.

Good luck.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Trash cans can be an excellent source of food.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Do not, under any circumstance, eat an omlet with ham MRE while hiding under your poncho liner and assume no one else can smell it. Your sense of smell will be destroyed in about 20 days but surprisingly enough the RI's will be fully intact, even in the dark 8)

Also, do not fall asleep on the ambush line and wake up with an RI's stick tied to your dummy cord instead of your M-16. While RI walking sticks are pretty cool, maintaining positive control of your weapon and not recieving a well deserved Major Minus is cooler.

Beware of the Z-monster, he is a real motherfucker!!

Good Luck and enjoy the suck!!
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Hilo
Ranger

Taken to heart

Post by Hilo »

Rangers,

Thanks for all the advice--every last bit. I've taken all of it to heart. I made it down to Benning from Drum and have been here for a few days. Ran the actual 5 mile course and completed it with a few mins to spare. Have to say that the course is nowhere near as flat and straight as I thought it would be (or heard it would be). I suppose rolling terrain would best describe it.

I met up with an LTC that was the previous RTB S3 and he also gave me some good advice. It basically echoed everything you Rangers told me.

Sunday Evening I'll report to Rogers and stay at the student barracks in preparation for the start of the course on Monday.

I'll try my best to keep you all posted. Adrenaline is pumping pretty good at this point.

Regards,

Hilo
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Re: Taken to heart

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Hilo wrote:Rangers,

Thanks for all the advice--every last bit. I've taken all of it to heart. I made it down to Benning from Drum and have been here for a few days. Ran the actual 5 mile course and completed it with a few mins to spare. Have to say that the course is nowhere near as flat and straight as I thought it would be (or heard it would be). I suppose rolling terrain would best describe it.

I met up with an LTC that was the previous RTB S3 and he also gave me some good advice. It basically echoed everything you Rangers told me.

Sunday Evening I'll report to Rogers and stay at the student barracks in preparation for the start of the course on Monday.

I'll try my best to keep you all posted. Adrenaline is pumping pretty good at this point.

Regards,

Hilo
See you there.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Hilo
Ranger

See you there

Post by Hilo »

Thanks Ranger Kilted Heathen--now the adrenaline is really pumping!!

Hilo
Hilo
Ranger

Update

Post by Hilo »

Rangers,

I am now on my 8 hour pass and have just completed the Benning phase of Ranger School. I'll move out to the mountains tomorrow.

All of your advice has helped greatly. The suck factor in the school is very high and a bit of pain has been inevitable. Misery has been avoided thus far.

I've really been impressed by the members of my squad. We have Os, Bat boys, infantry NCO's etc. Everyone has something unique to contribute.

I'll check this forum again before I head back to Camp Rogers and I'll do my best to post again during my next eight hour post.
Oh, spots are killing me. Attention to detail is the name of the game. 6 pairs of socks means 6 pairs of socks, folded to standard, laid out for the RI’s to count. Etc.

More to follow. Take it easy Rangers,

Hilo
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Update

Post by Jim »

I am now on my 8 hour pass and have just completed the Benning phase of Ranger School. I'll move out to the mountains tomorrow.

All of your advice has helped greatly. The suck factor in the school is very high and a bit of pain has been inevitable. Misery has been avoided thus far.

I've really been impressed by the members of my squad. We have Os, Bat boys, infantry NCO's etc. Everyone has something unique to contribute.

I'll check this forum again before I head back to Camp Rogers and I'll do my best to post again during my next eight hour post.
Oh, spots are killing me. Attention to detail is the name of the game. 6 pairs of socks means 6 pairs of socks, folded to standard, laid out for the RI’s to count. Etc.

Hilo
Stay with it. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Update

Post by Steadfast »

Jim wrote:

Hilo
Stay with it. Never, never quit!
X's 2.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”