Is knife fighting irrelevant?

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

jody wrote:Hey tuna,how about an intro.tell us a little about yourself.
Yeah, inquiring minds want to know.... Spill it.
Freed Y
Tadpole

Post by Freed Y »

I saw on Mail Call that Kukris are supposed to be excellent knives, have any of you ever used one?
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

I used one in Panama, en lieu of a machete. Also nice for circumcisions.
RangerKelly
Ranger

Love your E-tool.

Post by RangerKelly »

Just on the knife thing - I was/am a knife nut. I took Gerber Bowie knives to the field, Randal Model 2's and every other damn thing. After a few longer visits to the field (like Desert Storm with a Gerber Bowie) I paired it down to a leatherman with a broken blade (my blade broke) and a buck knife with a three or four inch blade. I had an army issue bayonette if I needed a bigger blade. RULE: ounces make pounds and the less shit to carry the better (always better to have another hundred rounds than a knife you may never use).*

For killing a man in the desert my methods in order of preference were: 16" Naval Gunfire (saw it once and HOLY SHIT does it beat everything else) B52 bombers, Marine Close Air (I was Army but would rather have a Marine overhead than anyone else) Sniper rifle (whatever hits) M60 Machinegun (my beloved pig - carried it everywhere), M16A2, 9mm, Handgrenade (kept hearing about shorter fuse times on older grenades), and E-Tool.

Let me tell you - an e-tool is a kick ass weapon. You can split a guys skull with it, whip it around fast, block, jab, and generally fuck someone up fataly from farther away than a knife. You also never underestimate that trusty shovel, it is worth its weight when it comes to hiding from artillary, hiding that 7days of MRE brick you shit in the field, or doing some SERIOUS damage to someone.

So... I have my Randall's but I will take an e-tool and a leatherman almost any day.

* - in Panama big knives are great for killing vines and pesky spiders the size of your hand.
RS class 4/93 (I was there so long my unit thought it had just dreamed me up).
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

w6 wrote:IMO, the M9 bayonet is a complete piece of shit. It doesn't cut well, sharpen easily, cut wires well, saw well, or anything else. It is real hard on the hands after extended use. The sheath is heavy and noisy. The ONLY thing it has going for it is that it is tough, but, if the Army wanted a crowbar, they shoulda issued a fucking crowbar.
I wouldn't say that's the ONLY thing it has going for it.....It attaches nicely to the end of a rifle so as to look 'kick-ass' during Change of Command Ceremonies. 8) Those CofC ceremonies were a bitch in the Georgia summer.....could only imagine how much worse they'd have been with a crowbar taped to my M-4!! :wink:
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

HMMMMMM....Let me get this straight; you jump on a razorback that is fighting with a pitbull, armed only with a knife? :shock: I think I'll pass.... :wink:
Bell

Post by Bell »

Saltbitch wrote:HMMMMMM....Let me get this straight; you jump on a razorback that is fighting with a pitbull, armed only with a knife? :shock: I think I'll pass.... :wink:
Pussy. I'll go for it. Who wants to pay for it?

RLTW
Bell

Return to “Close Combat”