Supplements

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Earthpig
Ranger

Supplements

Post by Earthpig »

Being married to a registered nurse, I'm constantly hearing negative talk from her regarding products like Xyience Diet, etc. I am 50 years old, and workout 1-2 times each day. I just had lab work done about two weeks ago, and all my lab values were normal. My blood pressure is also within normal limits.

My questions: Are these extreme protein and carb products harmful to someone my age? Are there some that are better than others? What would be a good one for an extremely handsome old fart? :lol:

Thanks.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

About all you need is a decent whey isolate protein and multi-vitamin. I'm 58 and work out 5 days a week. I have a protein shake about an hour before exercise and iimmediately afterwards. I also have a protein shake firt thing in the morning. 30 grams each time. The rest of my protein comes from regular food. I've never tried creatin or an NO product. Some people say they help, others say they don't. A cup or two of of coffee about 15 minutes before exercise gives me all the energy I need for my workouts, which lat about 45 minutes. I eat something about every 2 to 3 hours during the day.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Although I'm not nearly as old or handsome as either one of you, I would have to strongly agree with Ranger Bill. I have a slightly differernt workout schedule, but my eating and supliment routines are almost identical.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

There are some issues with the consumption of large amounts of protein supplements like whey and the development of food allergies . Do some research and buy the higher quality whey products and rotate brands. I can no longer consume whey or any other dairy products, but still manage to consume plenty of protein.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Thanks for the advice. I went to GNC and bought a can of their whey isolate protein 28. I'm already taking a shitload of vitamins. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

RLTW
EP
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:I, although a few years younger and much better looking than EP...
You know that's highly debatable. :lol: I will concede that you look better in a Hawaiian shirt.

As far as what I am after: loss of mid-section fat, gain of muscle mass, more strength & endurance.

RLTW
EP
2DenY
Inprocessing

Post by 2DenY »

Ranger EarthPig, the stuff from GNC are crap and overpriced. I use to get my protein and Vitamins from GNC, back in weight training in high school, after I realized that there protein shakes gives you some really bad gas and a big hole in your wallet. I would recommend www.atlargenutrition.com there protein shakes don’t require a blender and they are easy on your stomach plus not to mention they are cheaper. They have superb products and customer service.
Jan2009 - Dec2012 1/75
RS 02-11

Group with the motivated
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Flesh Thorn wrote:There are some issues with the consumption of large amounts of protein supplements like whey and the development of food allergies . Do some research and buy the higher quality whey products and rotate brands. I can no longer consume whey or any other dairy products, but still manage to consume plenty of protein.
Spoken like a true 3rd Batter. 8) :wink:

I'm not an expert by any means myself but I take megamulti's and have a couple protein shakes each day, my metabolism is still somewhat bionic.

Best I've found as far as taste and convenience is MT-REX Big 51, comes in a can ready to drink or pack for lunch and the taste is actually tolerable. It has a high quality time released protein so your body can obsorb it slowly and not flush the rest or lose it in waste.

Make sure if you take several diff types of vitamins to try and spread them out thruout the day, it's a lot easier on the stomach and allows your body to obsorb them better instead of overloading and flushing them out.

If you're taking any kind of pro-hormone/testosterone subs (legal/over the counter) cycle them in 4 week blocks to give your body time to flush and unwind itself, in this case, Tribulus Terestis (a root powder) helps your body naturally begin the process of making it's own testosterone once the cycle ends. (When you're taking the cycle, the 'test' your body would normally produce shuts down because you're feeding it with supp's, end the cycle and Tribulus helps kickstart your 'test' production naturally.)
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

cams wrote:Make sure if you take several diff types of vitamins to try and spread them out thruout the day, it's a lot easier on the stomach and allows your body to obsorb them better instead of overloading and flushing them out.
That makes sense...and I have not been doing that. I take about 8-9 different pills (vitamins) in the morning. I'll start spreading that out throughout the day. Thanks!

RLTW
EP
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

EP,

In the words of my former SL.."If it tastes likes shit I don't care what it does for you, you aren't going to take the stuff". Most protein is either bland or tastes like shit.

Try Muscle Milk. By far the best tasting protein I've ever taken. Been using it for a little over a year now and I wouldn't take anything else again. With that being said, MM contains enough calories that you can put on bad weight.

So I usually only slam two shakes a day. One scoop in the morning like Ranger Bill and then two within 30 minutes of lifting. If I need more protein because I am trying to look like some of the troglodytes I surround myself with then I get something like the Labrada "Lean Body" bars. They taste good and have a decent amount of protein in them, while keeping sugars and other empty carbs to a minimum.

As has been said before, make your order from either www.dpsnutrition.com or www.bodybuilding.com

Those are the two big services we use over here and they do really well with selection and getting your stuff to you on time.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”