How Should I prepare?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

If you can't run, you're looking at the wrong unit. All Rangers can run well, many can run great. In Battalion, if you get to be in a machine gun squad, you'll carry a huge rock on your runs, as well. The runs in RIP will be at a good pace...not jogging.

The only thing that will make you a better runner is more running. Get into a stride (not a jog/trot), stretch your legs out, relax, breath calmly, and get into a rhythm. Then, just think about something else...girls (unless you're in 1st or 3rd Bat, then it's boys), your family, the world's problems, whatever. The key, just like in a road march, is to get into the rhythm and think about something other than how bad it hurts/how far you have to go. When you start sucking wind and hurting, sprint. Then go back into your stride to 'rest.' Run every day. Try to add 1/4 mile each day (or more).

The only other thing I'll tell you about getting ready for RIP is this: Learn the Creed....perfectly.

Good luck.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
MrWesson22
Soldier

Post by MrWesson22 »

Why ask for advice if all you're going to do is question and argue with the answer given?
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

[DEP]Infantryman wrote:If i start out with six miles and drag ass the whole way, won't that take a long time to get ready then? Would it be easier to build up my endurance instead of jumping right into it????
I believe that you should start out a little on the lighter side and work up, as a preventative measure. Personally, if I was not used to running and started running 6 miles every day, by the third day, I'd have a pulled hamstring. But I have abnormally tight range of motion. I've never been able to touch my toes. So, for me, I have to condition my body slower than most. When I get there, I'm OK, but if I start out too fast, it seems like I always get an injury. This has been magnified with age, too.

I guess the point , if you were to put all of these posts into a blender and hit the 'mush' button, would be: learn to push yourself. Run as far as you can and then a little bit farther. This will not only get you into better shape, it will also give your self-esteem a boost. You will begin to see that your mind can rule over your body. And that, my friend is the secret to success in a high speed SPEC OPS group........mind over matter=if you want it bad enough, it's yours.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Post by Ranger »

jody wrote:ranger 1....fire mission over
I got my stakes placed, hopefully I won't need 'em. We'll see.
DO NOT PM ME
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Re:

Post by NeverSayDie »

EarthPig wrote:if you want it bad enough, it's yours.

RLTW
EP
Okay I know this is an old thread, but bear with me...

After reading this, it motivated me. something clicked. I joged to the closest track and just started running at my normal pace, and I couldnt stop. I ran twice as far then I ever have... or ever thought I could and I still feel like I might do more. I dont know maybe it was the rain cooling me off, maybe it was the boots I was wearing but, holy shit man it was all in my head before...all the pain and the wanting to stop and catch my breath... all that was just mental? usually when I do runs and shuttle sprints my body feels horrible after, but now I just feel like I slipped into a hot tub on a bitterly cold day, its like a mild, relaxed & pleasant numbness.

THANK YOU Ranger Earth Pig!!! :P :P :P
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: How Should I prepare?

Post by K.Ingraham »

That's outstanding NSD! Sounds like you finaly twigged.
Get up early tomorrow and do it again.
If you're not working, give me a call after and we'll get to work on something.

PS: Congrats. I think you might have just taken the ArmyRanger.com record for resurrecting dead threads. Just a few days shy of seven years.
In honor, do ten quality squat thrusts and thirty flutter kicks.
Then stretch, and stretch some more.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Re: How Should I prepare?

Post by NeverSayDie »

K.Ingraham wrote:That's outstanding NSD! Sounds like you finaly twigged.
Get up early tomorrow and do it again.
If you're not working, give me a call after and we'll get to work on something.

PS: Congrats. I think you might have just taken the ArmyRanger.com record for resurrecting dead threads. Just a few days shy of seven years.
In honor, do ten quality squat thrusts and thirty flutter kicks.
Then stretch, and stretch some more.
Roger Ranger k.Ingraham, The first of many I hope to break :D comencing honourary PT now.
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

Return to “About Army Physical Training”