Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

drum
Egg

Introduction

Post by drum »

Hello,

My name is Aaron and I am 20 years old from Southern California. I graduated high school in '05, and am now working my way toward becoming a Ranger Medic.

I took my ASVAB a couple weeks ago and score an 83, with a 124 GT. I went to MEPS on Friday and was a go at every station, all 1's on my PULHES, and passed the airborne physical. When I sat down with the counselor he would not give me an option 40, and after multiple trips to the waiting room and back, I left without signing anything.

Both my recruiters and the counselors at MEPS said they have made numerous calls to the 'ROC' and were not able to get an option 40 for me. Another young man who was there with me at the time had 68W with option 40 show up on the computer when he sat down with another counselor, which I thought was a little odd. It was too late to do on Friday, but they said they would be calling the DA (Department of the Army I believe) on Monday to try and get me a slot. I will be going back to MEPS tomorrow morning to try again. I'm bringing a book with me as I plan to spend a good deal of time in the waiting room, as many Rangers on this site have stated - hold out for the option 40 or nothing.

Thank you Rangers for providing this website, there is so much valuable information here and it has made my path a much easier one.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome to the site. You've got the right idea, don't settle for less than everything you want.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Your desire to enlist to become an Army Ranger is commendable and you are following the correct course of action. Hold firm and you will get the shot you want. Be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

Welcome to the site. Stick to your guns and don't settle for anything that you do not want.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Welcome.

Glad you were able to see the site and learn from it before you went to MEPS.

Lemme guess.....they're tellin you a GT score of 124 is too high for a Ranger? :lol:
RSD 96-99
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Welcome to the site Aaron.

PM inbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
drum
Egg

Post by drum »

Ranger Vee,

No mention of my GT score was ever made, all they would say was "It's not on the computer" and "They cant get you a slot". Everyone is really pushing hard to get me to sign just an airborne contract and that, "If I really want to be a Ranger I will volunteer at RIP". Well its because I really want to be a Ranger that I will not accept just an airborne contract. I'm leaving for MEPs right now, I will report back how today went sometime tonight.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

drum wrote:Ranger Vee,

No mention of my GT score was ever made, all they would say was "It's not on the computer" and "They cant get you a slot". Everyone is really pushing hard to get me to sign just an airborne contract and that, "If I really want to be a Ranger I will volunteer at RIP". Well its because I really want to be a Ranger that I will not accept just an airborne contract. I'm leaving for MEPs right now, I will report back how today went sometime tonight.
Stick to your guns young stud, get what you want and be ready to waste it.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I walked out on the counsler and refused to sign anything, my recruiter was pissed but somehow I got "The very last Ranger slot available" when I went back in.

Do not fall for the good cop bad cop routine!
Do not settle for anything less than what you want!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

cams wrote:
drum wrote:Ranger Vee,

Stick to your guns young stud, get what you want and be ready to waste it.
This was meant to read: be ready to NOT waste it.

Really, I really was trying to be nice, I'm serious. 8)
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

This process is a lot like purchasing a car. You're looking for that jet black Mustang GT. They're telling you that all they have on the lot are Pintos, in various colors. Are you going to wait for that Mustang, or settle for the pee-green Pinto?

The difference is this....it's not about a car, it's about your life. Don't let them create your destiny for you. Get what you want.

Welcome to the site.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
drum
Egg

Post by drum »

Rangers,

Thanks to your advice and being persistent I received my option 40 contract today and swore in. They knew I wouldn't sign a damn thing unless it said Ranger on it, and all it took was a few more phone calls and a couple hours in the waiting room.

I will be leaving 20080319, and starting basic training in Ft. Benning, GA on 20080328, and then AIT at Ft. Sam Houston, TX on 20080602. I'm due to start airborne on 20081006, and with hold overs and exodus I am guessing I will be going to RIP around January 2009.

I am a little disappointed to find out that I will no longer be getting the Army College Fund and that my bonus dropped from $6000 to $5000, but I care more about the option 40.

Thank you for the warm welcome Rangers, Im excited to start this journey to becoming a Ranger Medic - I will not be wasting my RIP slot.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

drum wrote:Rangers,

Thanks to your advice and being persistent I received my option 40 contract today and swore in. They knew I wouldn't sign a damn thing unless it said Ranger on it, and all it took was a few more phone calls and a couple hours in the waiting room.

I will be leaving 20080319, and starting basic training in Ft. Benning, GA on 20080328, and then AIT at Ft. Sam Houston, TX on 20080602. I'm due to start airborne on 20081006, and with hold overs and exodus I am guessing I will be going to RIP around January 2009.

I am a little disappointed to find out that I will no longer be getting the Army College Fund and that my bonus dropped from $6000 to $5000, but I care more about the option 40.

Thank you for the warm welcome Rangers, Im excited to start this journey to becoming a Ranger Medic - I will not be wasting my RIP slot.
Excellent news! I've upgraded your file/permissions accordingly. Get yourself a DEP avatar. Don't waste the slot!
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Congratulations young man. Sounds like you got what you wanted and are about on your way. Best of luck and never quit!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Congratulations! Now is the time you need to prepare yourself for what you are about to undertake. You need to get in the best physical shape of your life.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Introduction Archive”