Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Cadidiot
Tadpole

Introduction

Post by Cadidiot »

Rangers first of all I want to state my intentions of being here. I joined this site to gain TTPs so that I can become not only a better leader but also a better person. I understand that there is a wealth of knowledge out there that I have not been exposed to, and I think opening myself to the advice and experience of the Ranger community will make me a better leader.

As of right now I am a contracted 4 year scholarship cadet at LSU. I have been in the program for about 2 years now and I am an MS II cadet. I am looking forward to participating in the OFCOT program this summer which I believe will help me prepare for LDAC next year. What turned me on to the knowledge and wealth of this Ranger community is my current SMI. Before I would just read the manuals and textbooks without applying much though to what was going on in each scenario. However with the arrival of MSG who is a Ranger he has taught me to not just do by rote memory but rather think about the situation and the best way to tackle it. I believe that in this Ranger community I will be able to obtain a wealth of knowledge that will greatly help me.

At this point in my life I am not sure whether or not I am going to go to Ranger School once I commission. I cannot rule out anything at this point in my life but I want most of all to become an aviator. Hopefully the Nightstalkers will be in my future career path. I know that I and only I hold the key to that future and that is why I am here. Expanding my knowledge base and learning from experience is something essential to all combat effective officers.

Every leader knows that not only are they supposed to use their strengths but also they need to realize their weaknesses. I realize that PT is my weak point. I intend on maxing out the APFT before I go to LDAC next year. As of this moment my PT scores are as follows...

PU=63
SU=83
2MI=14:20

I again would like to thank the Ranger community here for allowing me to advance myself as a leader. GEAUX Tigers!
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Solid intro. There is a lot of info at your disposal here.
My suggestion is to search thoroughly before posting a question that may already have been answered.

What prompted you toward this career path? The Army, versus another branch, and specifically wanting to fly?

Nightstalkers huh? Well, I guess it's good to have goals.

Welcome
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Solid intro.

Welcome.

Your P.T. scores could use some improvement, but at least your run time is ALMOST where it should be.

Nighstalkers, huh ? Top shelf pilots right there. Your aiming your sights high. I like that.

Read, a lot, post little. Plenty of information here for you to learn.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome to the site. Nice first impression you've left with us.
Do at least something every day to reach your lofty goals, and after putting in the work required of you, you will be living a life others can only dream of. 8)
scubask
Tadpole

Post by scubask »

Welcome and thank you for committing yourself to serving this great nation.

Go to Ranger School if you have the opportunity, but make sure you want it so you don't suck up a slot for someone who really wants it (and if you're an Infantry officer and quit Ranger School, that reputation of being a quitter will follow you - it is a small Army). Even if you fail a few patrols or get injured like me and don't graduate, you will learn how to lead in a tough environment. You will also learn a lot about yourself, your weaknesses, and how you need to operate while you're weak and still overcome the obstacles to drive on to the objective.

On the PT part, the old 17-21 y/o max is a good goal.
PU: 82
SU: 92
2Mi: 11:54

Again, the PT test is just a general indicator of your physical capabilities but not the end-all-be-all. I have seen guys out there that smoke the PT test, but are clumsy during room clearing, can't roadmarch well, or have the stamina to run long distance. On paper they look great, but out in the field or on the battlefield, they are not well-rounded.

Remember to train on agility, strength, and stamina as well. And when you lead soldiers one day, keep the big picture in mind - we train to WIN the fight, not max the PT test, so balance out your PT with battle-focused PT as well. Now go out there and lead by example - like Ranger JLTW!!! on this board had advised before, fuck the average. Smoke everything you do and you'll be among the best. Stay motivated and never give up.

Talk to your SMI for other PT advice, but if you need more, feel free to contact me.
USMA 1996-2000
3/2 ID 2001-2003, 2005
3/1 SFG(A) 2003-2004
OIF 2004
Cadidiot
Tadpole

Post by Cadidiot »

First of all I would like to thank all you Rangers for your encouragement and help.

First, I am going to address Ranger Invictus' question. Ranger Invictus as you may or may not know in Cadetland here most cadets join because their mommies or daddies were LTC and they really just do it for that reason. They feel as if they are obligated to carry on the tradition in the family of "officers." I have no prior family members that I even can trace back to that were either enlisted or commissioned. I joined the service because I am of the impression that it is every American's duty to protect this country and to serve honorably when physically possible. Plenty of Rangers and just plain servicemembers have gone before me to secure my right to live in this God blessed country and it is my duty to make sure that same right is afforded to future generations. Ranger Invictus as to why I chose the Army I can attribute to the United States Air Force cutting back officers and personnel. When I applied to college I applied two places. First USAFA and then LSU. If I didn't get into USAFA I figured I would just go LSU on ROTC. I didn't get into USAFA so I was going to LSU with Air Force ROTC. As everyone knows the Air Force is cutting back and they are setting up review boards for all cadets regardless of AS level. Basically somehow I am not sure I got hooked up with our former recruiting director here at LSU Army ROTC and it all went from there. (As a sidenote the recruiting officer was prior enlisted, Ranger, Green Beret, Aviator, MAJ). The atmosphere and environment just felt right here basically I already passed DODMERB so I had to pass a pt test and then the PMS contracted me. So in essence I have always wanted to be an aviator whether it be fixed wing or rotary. As I said earlier Ranger Invictus I am at a very formitive stage in my life and I cannot rule out anything at this point especially since I have another year before I can list my branch of choice.

Scubask, Sir, I see in your signature line you graduated from USMA? If you could properly inform me of your rank I will be able to address you correctly, Sir. Yes Sir, I fully understand that quitting is not the way to go about doing anything no matter what aspect of your life it occurs in. I do not plan on it. Sir I was wondering if you could draw me up a pt plan on some things that you would suggest I do in terms of pt other than the usual just do PUs, SUs, 2MI?

Again I would like to thank all the Rangers here and everyone else that is here. I look forward to learning alot and expanding my leadership intangibles.
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

Welcome to the site. The Night Stalkers is a great way to go if you can. I have a cousin serving with them right now. It's a very good place to be. Good luck through college and meeting your dreams. Only you can make them a reality.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
scubask
Tadpole

Post by scubask »

For starters, FM 21-20 is the standard Army publication for physical fitness training and the bible at Master Fitness Trainer Course. It provides the principles of fitness and some suggestions on exercises, including diagrams of how exercises should be done. You can download your own copy from adtl.army.mil (Army Digital Training Library), accessed through your AKO login, or if you don't have AKO login, Notre Dame's ROTC department has it posted on the web.

www.nd.edu/~army/fm21_20.pdf

This forum also has a lot of physical training suggestions and training guides - I have found some that I have used in the past when I was leading troops.

When I was preparing for SFAS, I used the SFAS Physical Training Handbook and it helped me tremendously. This is a 5-week guide to help build your body up for some heavy rucking (during SFAS, I traversed close to 75km over the course of a 2-day culmination exercise at the end).

http://www.bragg.army.mil/specialforces ... hedule.doc

Read through FM 21-20 and start setting goals for yourself while you're going through it. Then put together a PT plan for yourself with what your goals are and how you plan to achieve it. I did this when I was a 2nd year cadet at USMA when I was going through the Master Fitness Trainer's Course, so you can do it too. PM me when you are done, and I will give you further instructions. My best friend from USMA (who just happens to be heading back up to USMA to be a Dept of Physical Education professor) - he and I will critique it and send you our feedback.

Your ROTC instructors should also be able to help as well. Keep in mind that your NCO instructors are a wealth of knowledge, and don't be afraid to ask for their opinions and for their help. NCO's will make or break you and life is a lot better when you involve them.

To answer the personal question - I am an O-3. No longer on active duty but still remain at the disposal of this great Nation.
USMA 1996-2000
3/2 ID 2001-2003, 2005
3/1 SFG(A) 2003-2004
OIF 2004
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Cadidiot

Post by Steadfast »

I see two items out of place here. To my knowledge you are not in the military presently (if prior military you have not stated) - so your intro belongs in the civilian forum & I will move this topic there.

Secondly, the avatar you have selectedImage
is not available to you at this time.

When you are actually serving or have completed RS you can upgrade your avatar (until then, you can select a avatar from the DEP category, or something along those lines) but tactical for now is out.

I point out these items with no malice - its just SOP on this site.

Welcome & best of luck in all your endeavors.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site. I hooked you up with the only avatar I could find that had that LSU purple in it. :wink: Good luck.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “Introduction Archive”