Is Black Fleece jacket worn with BDUs?

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Things could have changed since 2002, but I remember a memo going out addressing some of the AR 670-1 changes, one item of which was that the black fleece must be worn below the BDU top. My first thought was, "There's no way that fleece is gonna fit under a BDU top!" My second thought was, "Oh well, my Reserve unit still hasn't issued me a fleece."

I was still running with the semi-wool sweater up until '02 (and I had to buy that myself), and didn't even get the polypro's until that same time.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

the fleece was designed to be worn as an undergarment, and per regs. however, it was designed to be worn outside the BDU/ACU top, and under Gortex, as part of a system.

Gen Tommy Franks wore it all over TV in 2001 as an outer garment. Generals can where whatever they want, however they want, per 670-1. so that spurred post/unit commanders to dictate wear of uniform items while deployed or in the field, as organizational clothing items, or field clothing, per 670-1.

now everyone does it and generally has approval from some chain of command, per 670-1.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Personal Gear”