Introduction/Research (long post)

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

RSI
Egg

Introduction/Research (long post)

Post by RSI »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for allowing me to post to your forum.

My name is Patrick and I am a research assistant for a fiction author. I'm currently working on reserach for a character who's background includes becoming a Ranger after 9/11 and serving in Iraq. The story is completely fiction.

However, it's no secret that viewers or readers love to learn about people and places that are outside of their normal experience. Examples of this are the success shows like The Sopranos, ER or The Wire.

So, I'm looking to talk with people who've acutally are or have been Army Rangers. While the story does take place partially in Iraq, I'm also interested in learning more about Ranger traditions, your motivations for becoming a Ranger, other experiences as a Ranger, etc.

For example, I read that if one graduates from Ranger School in the winter, you may sew your Ranger tab with white thread. Things like this are great details to know.

I also realize there's a very serious security concern with discussing Iraq. I can assure everyone that we're only looking for information that could be used to craft a realistic (but completely fictional) story.

If the book is written, you will credited in the opening pages (if you want). Additionally, there are no politics and the Rangers will be portrayed in a postive light.

Please let me know if there's interest and I would be happy to share further details.

Please contact me via email rsirearch@hotmail.com or by private message on the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Patrick
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

As long as you don't try and debate inane and usless things like the definition of the word "strack" with us like this guy did 8)

viewtopic.php?p=427625&highlight=#427625

You aren't his research assistant are you??
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please tell us more about yourself. Who are you? What do you do for a living? Where do you live? Why should we waste time and effort on you? You are not the first to have come here with the same questions -- in the past they wore out their welcome quickly.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RSI
Egg

Introduction/Research

Post by RSI »

Thanks for the replies.

My name is Patrick and I live in Wisconsin.

The question posed in the link from above is certainly not my style. Something like this could be, as one your Ranger members mentioned, researched on a Wiki or elsewhere on the web. I'm not going to waste anyone's time on something like this.

Appartently, these "writer/research" posts have left a bad taste previously, I will guarantee I won't waste anyone's time.

As a Ranger, your knowledge has a value, as does your time. I don't believe anybody should work for free.

To that end, I am willing to compensate a couple qualified forum members for an hour or two of your time. Our discussion could take place via email and I'm far more interested in your story and experiences than your knowledge of the military dictionary.

If this isn't workable, I'll be happy to not bother you all further.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

...sniff...sniff....

What's that funny smell here?

Has the wind shifted?
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Introduction/Research (long post)

Post by Flesh Thorn »

RSI wrote: My name is Patrick and I am a research assistant for a fiction author. I'm currently working on reserach for a character who's background includes becoming a Ranger after 9/11 and serving in Iraq. The story is completely fiction.
I hope is isn't Harsh Times 2.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RSI
Egg

Additional Info

Post by RSI »

Noticed a couple other posts while doing my previous post.

The research I'm doing is for the back-story on a particular character. The Army experience is more about what made the character the way he is.

It's one part of the character's history, but not the theme of the book. It's definitely not about military conflict, fiction or otherwise.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

The strike must be over. :lol: :lol:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Re: Additional Info

Post by Lefty »

RSI wrote:The Army experience is more about what made the character the way he is.
Hero, villain, also-ran, what?

Drug fiend? Stone cold killer? Hitman? Politician? Mild mannered newspaper reporter? Corporate CEO? Transsexual? etc. etc.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Welcome to the site Patrick.

PM inbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Lefty wrote:
RSI wrote:The Army experience is more about what made the character the way he is.

Drug fiend? Stone cold killer? Hitman? Politician? Mild mannered newspaper reporter? Corporate CEO? Transsexual? etc. etc.
The only thing I can say is that an Army is made of every single type of human being. All of the above to none of them.

I according to an esteemed colleague and good friend on this site I did what I did not because of the people I was with but of whom I am.

Be very careful young man I may be old but I can vouch for many already that you walk in a minefield.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Though I have never served in Iraq, am a President Reagan era Ranger. I applaud your efforts to attempt to "get it right", by visiting our forum. Many of my brothers are skeptical about civilians who want to learn about the "inside" stuff that Ranger units embark upon for publishing or movie issues due to the multitude of operational security issues that could arrise from such disclosures.

For me I'm sick and tired of watchin a movie only to see in the credits that a "Marine technical advisor" served on the making of the movie that dealt specifically with Rangers, or a book that creates unrealistic or false impressions of what serving in a Ranger unit is like and our customs.

You will not however gain any specific knowledge of our unit without disclosing more of yourself, who you work for, publisher, name of author etc for we are suspicious by nature and are very unforgiving when it comes to outsiders who have a personal objective without proper verification as to EXACTLY WHO YOU ARE AND WHO YOU TRUELY REPRESENT.

Fiction is just that "fiction" anybody who reads it is reading a fairy tale in my book. I don't have the desire to read fictional accounts of anything at this point in my life, (last book I read that was fiction was the Great Gatsby) good book but I doubt I'd read another fictional book today. To bad you don't want to write about an actual mission or endeavor that has occurred for the realists like myself who are only interested in historical fact and not fictional accounts of some made up imagination.

Good luck in your endeavors. Just wanted to expand upon why you didn't get welcomed with open arms (since I'm certain you're wondering why we aren't so "forth coming with a complete stranger")

1. Get it right

2. Do not expect your research to come easily.

3. Do not QUIT if you get frurstrated.

4.Make us proud when you do get it right....... and

5.Who knows I just might buy your book when you're done.

(the odds are against it, but so are the odds of becoming a U.S. Army Ranger.........remember that when you conduct your research)

RLTW!!!
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

RSI wrote:Noticed a couple other posts while doing my previous post.

The research I'm doing is for the back-story on a particular character. The Army experience is more about what made the character the way he is.

It's one part of the character's history, but not the theme of the book. It's definitely not about military conflict, fiction or otherwise.
You will not find many Rangers that were made the way they are by the Army or by being Rangers. Most of our cheery dispostions and attitudes were that way long before earning the title.

Good luck.
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Lefty wrote:

Hey man, I don't think he is just interested in 3rd Batt Rangers :shock: :lol: :lol: 8)
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Yeah something here just doesnt ring true to me and I cant quite put a finger on it.

Why exactly does a person writing 'fiction' require a "Research Assistant" ?

Why isnt the author on here themself requesting the information?

Suddenly this is beginning to smell more and more like some anti-military/liberal expose crap!

Tell ya what hero give us a bit more background on the book and author and I'm pretty sure we'll be a bit less pessimistic and a tad more open about our experiences jumping with experimental 'chutes from the Shuttle while bundle chasing the xenon death ray.

Damn I let the cat out of the bag. Shiite! I hate when that happens!
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"

Return to “Introduction Archive”