Democrat VS. Republican President...

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

You know how to open a can of worm, don't you!

My era went from Ford to not quite the end of Clinton.
Ford to Carter was a period of benign neglect. We got no money but were laregly ignored.
Then the greatest president of the century arrived, Ron Reagan who opened the spigots wide & DoD got too much money, but we got respect from the nation at large and all the toys we could use, & a few more besides.
Under the clintonistas began an era where the values and customs of the military came under active attack, culturaly and literally. Budgets & end strength slashed & deployments multiplied almost exponentialy.

In the end, the politicians come and go, our institution survives, values and culture intact even if occasionaly bruised.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

The transition between GHB and BC was a nonissue! GHB initiated the draw-down and BC just followed on with it. I remeber the 90's draw down as if it were yesterday "No more Task force smith" and it was a personnel issue more than a training issue.

I honestly cannot remember a time that we didn't have money to train. The "Gramm-Rudman Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985" was a pain in the rear. I can remeber that promotions sucked, training was a lot of walking and things were in general disrepair.

BTW...Both of the act's name-sakes were Republicans~
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Tater Nuts wrote:Under Carter.

" We will jump out of duece and a halfs simulating an Airborne op. we will then assault the obj shouting BANG BANG BANG, the 60 gunners will lift and shift by ceasing to scream buddabuddabudda and change to woppawoppawoppa. Remeber to search any imaginary enemy you come across. Also next week the rumor is that the mortars may have a live illum round to fire, plan a weeks events around this. That is all."

Under Reagan.

" Sgt. Welshan, we need to split the mortars up so that some can take part in the six or seven jumps next week while the rest go to OP4 and shoot up all remaining stockpiled ammo to include getting rid of the bangalore torpedos to make room for the new stuff. See if you cant wear out or blow up the mortar tubes as were getting some new ones next week. "
Ha!! That's fucking beautiful!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Under BC while at Bragg, we had issues with training funds. Three were a couple months were when we were in the field we litterally had to yell bang bang at each other and the O.C. issued us pine cones that we used for Grenades and had to throw them. Then the O.C. would just point to joes and say okay you're hit. We were not using the miles gear becasue we were told there wasn't enough funds for the batteries. :roll:
Don't know if that was the case or not but that is what they told us. My NCO's and others that served under Reagan said all the time how that stuff never happened under Reagan.

I always wondered thoughwhy we have so many bases in Europe. i was under the impression that the build up in Europe was for the Cold War. The cold War being over, we should have closed a lot more bases over there and kept more bases here open. I still think we should have bases open over there just not as much. Thoughts?
It's all good.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

SkyShark wrote:I always wondered thoughwhy we have so many bases in Europe. i was under the impression that the build up in Europe was for the Cold War. The cold War being over, we should have closed a lot more bases over there and kept more bases here open. I still think we should have bases open over there just not as much. Thoughts?
State-side bases=more jobs for Americans.
OCONUS bases=Faster deployment capabilities and better deployment support

Either way you go, you lose something. I don't know that I could say for certain that one is better than the other. It'd take a pretty in-depth cost-benefit analysis to figure that one out.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I'm waiting for the next President to issue paintball rounds & goggles. Then every other nation will want to come here, join in our "war" games, er, training excercises.

Imagine going thru an American town and seeing where the Army was - blue & red splotches all around.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

EvilCouch wrote:
SkyShark wrote:I always wondered thoughwhy we have so many bases in Europe. i was under the impression that the build up in Europe was for the Cold War. The cold War being over, we should have closed a lot more bases over there and kept more bases here open. I still think we should have bases open over there just not as much. Thoughts?
State-side bases=more jobs for Americans.
OCONUS bases=Faster deployment capabilities and better deployment support

Either way you go, you lose something. I don't know that I could say for certain that one is better than the other. It'd take a pretty in-depth cost-benefit analysis to figure that one out.
I agree. But when you look at it, all the rapid deployable units are stateside. (Army that is)

I just think that with the way people are crying about our economy here it would help to have those bases open here that will yes have more jobs and the joes that are stationed there will be spending their paychecks in our economy.

As far as faster deployment, I agree. Airforce, navy and some Marine Units as well as some Army Units, But the guys that actually go on the ground i.e. Ranger Batts, 82nd and the other rapid deployed units are already here. All three Ranger Batts Christ the entire 75th and the entire 82nd Could be wheels up before some units get their shit packed.

You're right, you are going to lose something either way. IMO I think it would be better to have some units over there but the main body of the Military stateside.
It's all good.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Served under Carter.... he was a pussy. Nuff said!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Nomad
Ranger

Re: Democrat VS. Republican President...

Post by Nomad »

XCrunner wrote:If anyone has served in the military during a time when a Democrat was President, and during a time when a Republican was President, I would interested to know if life in the military was any different. Does day to day military life change depending on which party holds office? Do you notice any difference? Thank you for your service and your response!
Yes. When Clinton was President the budget seemed to be a constant concern.

When GW Bush took over, I found a $300 tax relief check in my mail box, plus my pay started going up.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”