Ab Machines

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
KeyserS175

Ab Machines

Post by KeyserS175 »

Just wondering if anyone has used any of the Ab Machines advertised on TV? I'm looking for something that will help take the pressure off my lower back and neck due to injuries.
Oto-Man
Ranger

Re: Ab Machines

Post by Oto-Man »

KeyserS175 wrote:Just wondering if anyone has used any of the Ab Machines advertised on TV? I'm looking for something that will help take the pressure off my lower back and neck due to injuries.
I know a split tail--that is a workout goddess-- that bought the ab lounger...and it is a great place for her to keep her dry cleaning....and it makes body shots more fun....but as far as a workout machine...waste of 2 bills.......My personal reco would be local gym membership...for the money, you will have access to much better machines than you can get by yourself...(and a personal trainer for a couple of sessions can help get you set up based on your limitations)

If you really want to get fancy, get the "ultimate push-up" and the Brand New (just saw the commercial today) "Ultimate Pull-up"....they have to be good...(after all they were designed by a former Navy SEAL)!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

Right now a Gym membership is out due to my current schedule.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

There are a number of ways to do crunches. The idea with a crunch is not to "sit up," but to bring your shoulders as close as you can to your hips by crunching your abs. Your lower back should just raise off the ground. Place your hands across you chest and rest them on your shoulders. Your neck will not be involved. You can put weight plates on your chest for added resistance. Try it with your knees besnt about 90 degrees. If you feel pain, try it with your knees bent less than 90 degress and / or more than 90 degrees to see what works best for you. The only ab machine that is worth the price is an ab wheel. It costs less than $15. It's quite effective, but it will put some strain on your lower back.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
rnaco
US Army Veteran

Post by rnaco »

the abs have four main functions: to stabilize the torso, to twist the torso, to control the hips, and to control the ribcage. In that sense, a complete ab routine would include 4 different exercises. This shows how useless those ab machines are. A good example of an ab routine would be like this (I also put in youtube clips so you guys can check out the correct execution of the movement)

bridges/planks (hold for one minute)

woodchoppers (10x each side)

hanging leg raises (20 reps)

ball crunches (20 reps)

Do a set of each without any rest between exercises. Repeat 3 times. This is a good ab routine and will take you less than 10 min.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I also have/had pretty painful neck and lower back injuries, happens when you find yourself under 9,000lbs of truck, the best thing I have found (since the crunching/sit-up movement only seems to strain those area's) is an old fashioned roller wheel with the little handles on each side. This is a serious burn and not just a gimmick, these have been around for decades in gyms and boxing arena's.

Got one at Sports Authority for 10.00 bucks. You can easily adjust as you progress just by the length of your stretch and hold.

It works the abs (high and low) and lower back on both the way down and the way back up with no strain on the neck, and the more you tighten the lower back muscles the better it begins to feel (in my case this was true anyway).

You can also work the obliques just by turning on the way down to one side or the other. Again, this is a very effective, very cheap tool.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “About Army Physical Training”