Bench Press Burnout

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

wazzle wrote:What I have always been told is that doing a lot of reps with small weights gives your muscles endurance but will not increase muscle size. Doing three sets of 8-12 reps with as much weight as possible to max out by the end of the third set will build muscle mass. As for why anyone would only work one muscle group is beyond me. Work all your muscles evenly makes more sense.
4-6reps in 3 sets, last set it should be a struggle to get.
go from there to flat bench dumble press, same reps and weight will vary accordingly. don't do any incline or decline
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

There really is no single way of lifting that works best for everyone. Every thing wroks and any exercise is better than no exercise. General guidlelines for weighlifting are that sets in the range of 8 to 12 are the best for gaining size, 4 to 6 reps for strength, and 15 to 20 for muscle endurance. The 10 X 10 thing is also known as German Vollume Training. It's not mainstream thinking. You can google it.

The best program for you depends on what your goals are and your current conditioning, but I strongly recommend you work your full body no matter what program you follow, unless all you are trying to do is increase your bench and that is all you want to do. A good program will include all your muscle groups: chest, back, shoulders, legs, arms and abs. Visit some sites like exerciserx.net, bodybuilding.com, etc. Stay away from fads. Find a program you like and stick with it for at least two months. If you do not continue to gain, switch to something else.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

wazzle wrote:What I have always been told is that doing a lot of reps with small weights gives your muscles endurance but will not increase muscle size. Doing three sets of 8-12 reps with as much weight as possible to max out by the end of the third set will build muscle mass. As for why anyone would only work one muscle group is beyond me. Work all your muscles evenly makes more sense.
wazzle, this is not the parent forum for you to be giving advice. Stay in your lane & leave giving advice to the Ranger's on site.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rnaco
US Army Veteran

Post by rnaco »

There really is no "wrong" way to train, it all depends on what your goals are. With that in mind, the 10x10 program is primarily a volume strength routine designed to add mass. If that's your goal, then fine. But if you want to get stronger, I'd recommend 5x5. If you want to gain muscular endurance I'd stick with higher repetitions and lower rest times. It wouldn't hurt to cycle thru each of these schemes. Also, the bench press is a fun ego stroking exercises but is highly overrated and usually leads to overuse injuries due to the fixed bar position. Alternate with dumbbells or pushups with a weighted vest/elevated feet position.
BushHog
Ranger

Post by BushHog »

SQUAT MORE!
RLTW!
Ranger Class 05-07

Return to “About Army Physical Training”