Volunteering for R.I.P.

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Here's a thought.. Take your assignment that you get and try and get Ranger school through Ft. Bragg. When it's time to re-up if your heart is still in it, request re-assignment to the Regiment. If you show up to RIP with a combat deployment or two and a Tab things will be much, much easier.

You won't get the exact same medical training, but the line medics in the 82nd a pretty fucking good at what they do too. Be a fucking sponge and learn as much as you can. No skill should be beyond your grasp, whether it is building demo charges or properly filling out PMCS paperwork on a HUMVEE ambulance. The more you bring to the table, the better your chances of getting what you want, no matter where you are assigned. As always, shoot for no less than max PT.

Never sing your own praises, because if you are that good everyone else will do it for you. A good measure of being successful is if your peers find it impossible to work without you. There aren't a lot of medics that volunteer for RIP, and everyone knows someone who knows you. The Battallion Senior Medics are always looking for good talent and will do some checking up on you. You want your former boss to challenge someone to a knife-fight to keep you.(and yes, I've heard motherfuckers issue that challenge over someone..)

Above all, stay the fuck out of trouble. I hear at Bragg trouble has a way of finding you. That would definitely fuck your chances of getting into RIP.

Good luck!
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
MORTARWILD
Inprocessing

Post by MORTARWILD »

Solidarius wrote:We completed our last jump yesturday, and had our graduation. And then I tried the whole " I'm really supposed to be going to RIP " thing... It didn't work so well, and i ended up on a bus to Ft. Bragg. Suprisingly I didn't have to do any push ups, or squat jumpers, and my boots didn't even get a beating. Nine hours later I'm here and eating at a really fancy DeFac, but I'm quite disappointed I didn't get RIP.

Does anyone know about getting to regiment -after- airborne?

Solidarius.

Were you that guy in the dayroom that was standing there by the T.V. when we had the RIP meeting, when everybody was getting their orders? Then the Navy Black Hat came in with your folder and said, "You are going to FT. Bragg, move out."

Well anyway, I am just about 100% sure that if you went and talked to the Ranger Liaison, you would be sitting here with me waiting to get picked up right now.

edit: Spelling
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Infantry_Soldier wrote:
Solidarius wrote:We completed our last jump yesturday, and had our graduation. And then I tried the whole " I'm really supposed to be going to RIP " thing... It didn't work so well, and i ended up on a bus to Ft. Bragg. Suprisingly I didn't have to do any push ups, or squat jumpers, and my boots didn't even get a beating. Nine hours later I'm here and eating at a really fancy DeFac, but I'm quite disappointed I didn't get RIP.

Does anyone know about getting to regiment -after- airborne?

Solidarius.

Were you that guy in the dayroom that was standing there by the T.V. when we had the RIP meeting, when everybody was getting their orders? Then the Navy Black Hat came in with your folder and said, "You are going to FT. Bragg, move out."

Well anyway, I am just about 100% sure that if you went and talked to the Ranger Liaison, you would be sitting here with me waiting to get picked up right now.

edit: Spelling
Oh........

wait for it......

wait for it......

wait for it.......

wait for it......

are you tracking here with me Oto-Man? :wink:

SNAP!!! :P :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tomasriot
Ranger

Post by tomasriot »

Infantry_Soldier wrote:
EvilCouch wrote:
Infantry_Soldier wrote:Solidarius,

Are you in Bravo Co. You missed the the brief down there in the dayroom/classroom the other day?

What makes you think you had to go to the brief to get the slot, did you go see the Ranger at the Liaison Office, or are you just going off of what some guy told you?
If a private ever begins a sentence with, "They said," odds are they're wrong. Get the info straight from the liaison.
Ranger EvilCouch,

This is why I want Solidarius to get his ass on these boards, and check this topic. I will go to the Office with him and talk to the Ranger in person with him. So many rumors are flying around this Batalion, it is crazy. The day we got down here at Airborne, the Ranger came out and said, "Anybody who wants to do great things, come and see me, except 11bravo, I don't want to see any 11bravo over here."

Then the Black Hats come out every other day and say, "Any 88 series, 92 series, and some other MOS (can't remember right now) that want to go to RIP, go see the Liaison this week.

I am sure if he goes down there before Friday he can get RIP. I mean they want 88 series and 92 series, they should want to take 68 series as well.

Or he can do what Ranger The Sleepy Doc suggested. I was out and about earlier today and saw them picking up Charlie company for RIP. They were yelling and screaming at the Privates to fix the formation. I got fired up and wished I was over there.

edit: spelling

I enlisted in the Delayed Entry Program last July and failed to get an Option 40. However i ded get BAT in my contract and am planning on going to RIP afterwards. So if I get there and the Rangers says they don't want any 11B's (which is what I am) is that just it? I won't be able to volunteer?
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

tomasriot,

You need to post an intro. PM inbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
tomasriot
Ranger

Post by tomasriot »

My apologies Copperhead.

My name is Aaron, and am currently a 17 year old senior in high school. I enlisted in the Army last july and have an 11X contract with BAT and ship out to Ft. Benning June 3.

I plan on attending RIP after BAT and was wondering what would happen if the Ranger said that they didn't want any 11B's. Would that just be it? Could i not volunteer?
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

tomasriot wrote:My apologies Copperhead.

My name is Aaron, and am currently a 17 year old senior in high school. I enlisted in the Army last july and have an 11X contract with BAT and ship out to Ft. Benning June 3.

I plan on attending RIP after BAT and was wondering what would happen if the Ranger said that they didn't want any 11B's. Would that just be it? Could i not volunteer?
Aaron,

Please reread my last PM. I have sent you another as well. Do not post in this thread again unless directed by a Ranger or veteran. Your introduction needs to go in the "Introductions- DEPs and other Civilians" section. As far as your question is concerned; reread what has been posted in this thread and search the site. Your question has been answered.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Nope, but I'll add him to the list under of examples of what not to do...
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
remerson175
Ranger

Post by remerson175 »

RTO wrote:if you have big brass balls, you can chain yourself to the fence outside one of the Ranger compounds and tell them you are not leaving until they let you in...... :twisted: :lol:

This, I'd like to see!!!!
Hard Rock Charlie 1/75 88-91
18th ABC LRSC TM 2-1 91-93
25th ID(L)-1/27 Scouts, G3 AIR DZSO 93-96 & 00-03
5th RTB 97-00 & 03-05
Brain reconfigured to the Dark Side 05'
PL/XO 1-503(ABN) 173D ABCT 06-08
Merrill's Platoon Leader 4th RTB 08-09
HHC XO, 4th RTB presently

RC 11-90

Don't piss me off, I will retire!

Return to “About RASP”