Company makes clothes for warfare.

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

Company makes clothes for warfare.

Post by VengefulIcebox »

~Didn't see this posted as a recent topic.

Company makes clothes for warfare By MICHAEL FELBERBAUM, Associated Press Writer
Tue Dec 25, 4:48 PM ET

RICHMOND, Va. - As an Army surgeon in the Middle East, Dr. Keith Rose watched a colleague bleed to death when a truck in his convoy was hit with a rocket-propelled grenade.

Rose could not get his comrade a tourniquet, which could have helped control the bleeding on his wounded leg, and sat along the mangled wreckage and talked with him as he took his last breath.

"It really kind of frustrated me," Rose said.

Once he returned to the U.S., Rose approached BlackHawk, a provider of military and law enforcement gear, with an idea to create clothes with built-in tourniquets.

Link to MSN article
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-William Tecumseh Sherman
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Company makes clothes for warfare.

Post by Earthpig »

VengefulIcebox wrote:~Dr. Keith Rose watched a colleague bleed to death when a truck in his convoy was hit with a rocket-propelled grenade.

Rose could not get his comrade a tourniquet, which could have helped control the bleeding on his wounded leg, and sat along the mangled wreckage and talked with him as he took his last breath.
He didn't have a belt? a bootlace? a knife to cut a strip of his uniform? Pretty hard to believe, but then....I wasn't there.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I too am a little confused about the need for having a tourniquet built into your uniform. If they put one in the collar then you can choke yourself to death. :D
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Flesh Thorn wrote:I too am a little confused about the need for having a tourniquet built into your uniform. If they put one in the collar then you can choke yourself to death. :D
and if they wired a remote into 'em, boy we could have some fun, and fix the dumb ones quick!
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

KW Driver wrote:
Flesh Thorn wrote:I too am a little confused about the need for having a tourniquet built into your uniform. If they put one in the collar then you can choke yourself to death. :D
and if they wired a remote into 'em, boy we could have some fun, and fix the dumb ones quick!
Thats not nice, O's are people too. :twisted:
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

EarthPig wrote:
VengefulIcebox wrote:~Dr. Keith Rose watched a colleague bleed to death when a truck in his convoy was hit with a rocket-propelled grenade.

He didn't have a belt? a bootlace? a knife to cut a strip of his uniform? Pretty hard to believe, but then....I wasn't there.

RLTW
EP
No shit, a doctor sat and watched his friend bleed to death and didn't make his own turniquet? Give me a fucking break. Another feeble attempt to get the gear queers to spend money.

Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

cams wrote:
EarthPig wrote:

RLTW
EP
No shit, a doctor sat and watched his friend bleed to death and didn't make his own turniquet? Give me a fucking break. Another feeble attempt to get the gear queers to spend money.

Indeed. I never had to touch a casualty aside from securing one in my HMMWV before getting back in my turret, and I still had plenty of shit I could use to control blood flow. I had the standard elastic constricting band on my IBA, I had a cheap rubber, one-hand tourniquet in my aid pouch, an Israeli dressing I could convert to a tourniquet, a rigger's belt, and a cravat. And that's before I start getting creative. I refuse to believe that a fucking doctor in a combat zone doesn't have at least half of what I had. Either he panicked or he was ridiculously ill-equipped.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Desert Sloth wrote:I see no need for that....we were issued a small, easy to use tourniquet that fits in our utility pouch. It was designed for you, as the victim, to apply it yourself. Really easy to use and I think this is unecessary. Every soldier should have on of these tourniquets.........

I carry three. One easy to get to with either hand and for someone administering aid (like the middle of my armor), one in my IFAK and one in my utility pouch.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

EvilCouch wrote:
cams wrote:
EarthPig wrote:He didn't have a belt? a bootlace? a knife to cut a strip of his uniform? Pretty hard to believe, but then....I wasn't there.

RLTW
EP

Indeed. I never had to touch a casualty aside from securing one in my HMMWV before getting back in my turret, and I still had plenty of shit I could use to control blood flow. I had the standard elastic constricting band on my IBA, I had a cheap rubber, one-hand tourniquet in my aid pouch, an Israeli dressing I could convert to a tourniquet, a rigger's belt, and a cravat. And that's before I start getting creative. I refuse to believe that a fucking doctor in a combat zone doesn't have at least half of what I had. Either he panicked or he was ridiculously ill-equipped.
Absolutely agree. I think this is a shameful way for some dickhead to make a buck off the new Joe's and/or the untrained wannabe.

I refuse to believe this story and it bothers me that Blackhawk would partake in this. Maybe I just don't know enough about that company, but that sure just turned me off from buying their products.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

The boys at the Bragg schoolhouse came up with a way to pre-make one using a standard army cravat (triangular bandage) and a small stick (we used about a 1/2 inch stack of tongue depressors, but a pen would even work. Best shit I've ever seen. Cheap and can be carried in a cargo pocket.

This, gentleman, is exactly why they are pushing hard for tourniquets as first line bleeding control. Don't think that civilians cant fuck up a bleeder, too. Someone was brought to the ER on Christmas Eve with a small cut to the hand, about 3 inches and nothing to write home about. Who ever the MD was at the time took the dressing off to look at the wound and didn't put it back on properly. This lady almost bled to death and probably won't make it. All from a hand laceration.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Desert Sloth wrote:
The Holmchicken wrote: I carry three. One easy to get to with either hand and for someone administering aid (like the middle of my armor), one in my IFAK and one in my utility pouch.
Three is a good idea if you are in a combat AOR. With us, I always have quite a few guys around me and each one of us has one in our UP along with an Israeli Bandage, Quick Clot and a couple of other items. So if I was pretty banged up and could not reach mine for some reason, my buddy can toss me his or assist me with initial blood control.
I never would have thought of having three, but the deltas on my team are shit hot, put out some quality info and training. So they're still letting you guys use Quick Clot?
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:The boys at the Bragg schoolhouse came up with a way to pre-make one using a standard army cravat (triangular bandage) and a small stick (we used about a 1/2 inch stack of tongue depressors, but a pen would even work. Best shit I've ever seen. Cheap and can be carried in a cargo pocket.
You taught me that shit. I taught my Joes several years down the line. Thanks, bro.

I've also seen another version that doesn't get quite as tight, but doesn't require anything but the cravat. Girth hitch around the limb, pull the tails in opposite directions. Tie a square knot on the opposite side of the girth hitch.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “Personal Gear”