.45 GAP

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
rgrking
Ranger

.45 GAP

Post by rgrking »

I've been thinking about buying a pistol and the only ones that I've been drawn to are the Glock 21 and 37. One uses ACP rounds and the other GAP rounds. Does anyone know of a drawback to either of these rounds?
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

45 ACP, popping a cap in the ass of America’s enemies for almost 100 years

45 gap is supposed to duplicate the 45 ACP in a shorter round to fit in Glocks

I would say go with the original
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
lawdog
Tadpole

Post by lawdog »

I carried the Glock 21 for 6 years on duty. Phenomenal piece of hardware with 13 rounds of .45 caliber hell. I've also fired the Glock pistol in .45 GAP. I don't know much about the specific ballistics of that round but the only reason it was designed, from what I was told, was to place a .45 caliber round in a smaller framed weapon. The lower receiver is the same size as my current duty pistol, the Glock 22, and allows shooters with smaller hands to more comfortably handle the .45. If you have large hands, go with the Glock 21. If they are small, don't throwout the idea of the Glock 37. Both are excellent and will serve you well. The only worry I have about the Glock 37 is I wonder if the caliber will lose interests, fade out, and ammunition manufacturers cease production of the rounds. If you go with it might not hurt to save a shitload of brass and get a set of dies.
“You got the right to remain silent, so shut the fuck up, ok? You got the right to an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, we will provide you with the dumbest fucking lawyer on earth. If you get Johnny Cochrane, I'll kill ya!â€
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Go and handle the G21 and the G21SF. The SF stands for "Slim Frame"... the grip dimensions are a bit narrower from front to back... See which one fits your hand better. The G21SF has an ambidextrous mag release, and the bad thing is... the G21SF mags will work in standard G21, but not the other way around. That is something to consider. See which feels better in your hand. If you have Gorilla mitts like I do, it won't matter.

I would go with the G21 myself. The .45 GAP is not catching on as fast as first thought... sort of like the 10mm years ago. Ammo for it is pricey, and pretty hard to get.

I have a first gen G21 and love it.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

I think I've decided on the 21. If you had to do it all over again would you get the 21C?
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
F50LRRP
BANNED

Post by F50LRRP »

The .45 ACP ammo is available much more than the .45 GAP. The .45 ACP is battle proven in both military and civilian Law Enforcement venues.

I shot a V.C. soldier who was poling a sampan on the Saigon River with a .30 caliber carbine four times in the chest. He looked down to see where he was hit. I then drew my M1911A1 and shot him once in the chest and it blew him clear out of the boat. I've carried a .45 ever since in both the Army and in my L.E. career.

RLTW

Mike
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

F50LRRP wrote:I shot a V.C. soldier who was poling a sampan on the Saigon River with a .30 caliber carbine four times in the chest. He looked down to see where he was hit. I then drew my M1911A1 and shot him once in the chest and it blew him clear out of the boat. I've carried a .45 ever since in both the Army and in my L.E. career.
Very good reasoning here.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

rgrking wrote:I think I've decided on the 21. If you had to do it all over again would you get the 21C?
Absolutely not. I have fired the 21C and IMO, the flash ruins the sight picture. Save the money, and invest it in some more magazines.

Once you get it, I can walk you through a nice trigger job... :wink:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

GSXRanger wrote:
rgrking wrote:I think I've decided on the 21. If you had to do it all over again would you get the 21C?
Absolutely not. I have fired the 21C and IMO, the flash ruins the sight picture. Save the money, and invest it in some more magazines.

Once you get it, I can walk you through a nice trigger job... :wink:
Sweet I know what's coming then. No just to save up the $5xx.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

F50LRRP
BANNED

Post by F50LRRP »

I saw the same show, not that good. The M-1 carbine was brought into the Army inventory during WWII to replace the pistol and to an extent it did. A person firing an M-1 is accurate for over twice the distance than he would be with a pistol. The M-1 also holds more rounds in its magazine than most pistols.

The problem is the round itself. The .30 caliber carbine round is anemic. The .45 caliber is much more powerful but is limited in how far away your target is. Most shooters firing a handgun are only accurate for a minimal distance (15-25 meters at most).

There are shooters that can fire a handgun at much greater distances, accurately, but they are rare. I knew an SFC, who was a demo instructor at the California Specialized Training Institute (CSTI) who could hit 55 gallon drums at 500 yards with a .45. He fired it almost like a morter.

RLTW,

Mike
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

F50LRRP wrote:I knew an SFC, who was a demo instructor at the California Specialized Training Institute (CSTI) who could hit 55 gallon drums at 500 yards with a .45. He fired it almost like a morter.
That is insane.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

rgrking wrote:
F50LRRP wrote:I knew an SFC, who was a demo instructor at the California Specialized Training Institute (CSTI) who could hit 55 gallon drums at 500 yards with a .45. He fired it almost like a morter.
That is insane.
a 230 grain lawn dart :twisted:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92

Return to “Weapons of War”