I need help

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Rangerellis2
Ranger

I need help

Post by Rangerellis2 »

OK so here are the events that have transpired over the last week. When I joined the army in 2003 I declined a cash bonus of 6,000 dollars and took the army college fund of 40,000. It was explained to me before I signed my contract that it was on top of the GI Bill for a total of 70,000 dollars or somewhere around there. So I have come to find out that that's not the case, its not 40,000 dollars its only 6,000 dollars. The army fucking lied to me about the amount of money that I was suppose to be receiving. I had planned my whole life around having this money to live here in Colorado and go to school. As it stands now I am not going to be able to go to college. I have filed an appeal with DOD and according to them this has been a common thing because the army was forced to reword the contract to clearly state how much you are to receive with the Army College Fund. This however does not help me. If they rule in my favor I will get the full amount of 40,000 dollars in one check according the lady at DOD. They have told me that I wont hear anything until probably next summer though. I don't have that long to wait though. I have called every person I could possibly think of. This includes 3 different congressman and the Governor of Ohio. I am thinking of going to the media as well, the last thing that I want to do though is give the army a black eye in public. I am looking for all the help I can get to try to get the benefits that I am entitled. I need every ones help on this. If there is anything you can do please do it, just get the word. I really need every ones help on this. You can email me as well at Rangerellis2@yahoo.com. Thanks everyone
"You gotta put up with the bullshit to get to the cool shit"

C-CO 3/75 2005-2007
HHC 3/75 2004-2005
BadMuther
BANNED

Re: I need help

Post by BadMuther »

Rangerellis2 wrote:OK so here are the events that have transpired over the last week. When I joined the army in 2003 I declined a cash bonus of 6,000 dollars and took the army college fund of 40,000. It was explained to me before I signed my contract that it was on top of the GI Bill for a total of 70,000 dollars or somewhere around there. So I have come to find out that that's not the case, its not 40,000 dollars its only 6,000 dollars. The army fucking lied to me about the amount of money that I was suppose to be receiving. I had planned my whole life around having this money to live here in Colorado and go to school. As it stands now I am not going to be able to go to college. I have filed an appeal with DOD and according to them this has been a common thing because the army was forced to reword the contract to clearly state how much you are to receive with the Army College Fund. This however does not help me. If they rule in my favor I will get the full amount of 40,000 dollars in one check according the lady at DOD. They have told me that I wont hear anything until probably next summer though. I don't have that long to wait though. I have called every person I could possibly think of. This includes 3 different congressman and the Governor of Ohio. I am thinking of going to the media as well, the last thing that I want to do though is give the army a black eye in public. I am looking for all the help I can get to try to get the benefits that I am entitled. I need every ones help on this. If there is anything you can do please do it, just get the word. I really need every ones help on this. You can email me as well at Rangerellis2@yahoo.com. Thanks everyone
You are still getting the GI Bill correct? Why is it that you don't have long to wait?

Can't you go to school on the GI Bill?

I'm not tracking here.

Dude, the situation sucks, but it looks like (after filing a appeal) that your best bet is to go with plan "B" and DRIVE ON.
Rangerellis2
Ranger

Post by Rangerellis2 »

yes I still getting my GI Bill. The only thing is that my tuition is about 3600 a semester for a community college. I would hardly have enough to pay for tuition let alone any of my bills. I am finding out from my a couple of my other Ranger buddies that they have the same contract and were told the same things that I was. We all declined a cash bonus to take the $40,000 ACF. If I would have known what I was going to end up getting I would have just taken the cash. This is just a speed bump for me though. It just kinda means that college is now on the back burner.

C-CO 3/75 2005-2007
HHC 3/75 2004-2005
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Rangerellis2 wrote:yes I still getting my GI Bill. The only thing is that my tuition is about 3600 a semester for a community college. I would hardly have enough to pay for tuition let alone any of my bills. I am finding out from my a couple of my other Ranger buddies that they have the same contract and were told the same things that I was. We all declined a cash bonus to take the $40,000 ACF. If I would have known what I was going to end up getting I would have just taken the cash. This is just a speed bump for me though. It just kinda means that college is now on the back burner.
That's a shitload of money for community college. You getting charged out of state tuition or something?

Could you make it with the Gi Bill and a part-time job?

Or you could save up your contracting money and like you said put college on the back burner for a bit.

In hindsight I would have used my GI bill for an online degree. I wasted a lot of money to comply with state requirements for a 2 year degree when I could have gotten a 4 year for the same money. Might be worth checking out.

Good luck.
Scoty
Ranger

Post by Scoty »

Rangerellis2 wrote: It just kinda means that college is now on the back burner.
Negative...if you want it...go get it. GI Bill, grants, J.O.B...whatever it takes.....just get after it.
Rangerellis2
Ranger

Post by Rangerellis2 »

I am looking for another job as we speak. I wouldnt mind doing some more contract work..but I am pretty sure that my wife has pulled my kitchen pass for awhile. I am sure that everything will work out in the end. I just know that I have to have a degree to do the job that I want....even if that means paying off school loans for the next 20 years. I just feel like I being fucked over by army...but in reality I am getting exactly what I am suppose to, just not what they told me.

C-CO 3/75 2005-2007
HHC 3/75 2004-2005
DocMac
Embryo

Post by DocMac »

Ranger Rangerellis2, I'm a student at CU, Boulder so I can feel some of your pain (out of state for 1yr) and have some options that apply specially to Colorado.

First fill out the FASFA and take out loans to cover your tuition amount, typically they will offer you enough to cover it. If your income is pretty low you'll get subsidized loans with (as long as your in school) an interest rate that is just above the cost of rate of inflation. The GI Bill is NOT considered income to the Dept. of Ed.

Second, I'm not sure about where your going (Red Rocks?) but we have some classified positions on campus that are considered state employees (these are different from student employees) and have their tuition waved, though I'm not sure what the stipulations are. If you would like I can find out.

Third option is the Guard, we have the 5/19th if you are interested being Hooah. If you don't want to be deployed, they just started standing up an infantry battalion that is not going to be completely stood up (much less fully manned and mission capable) until the middle of next year at he soonest.

In the Colorado Guard, State will pay 100% of tuition and fees so long as your a drilling member though I think you have to be in for 6 months first and owe 6 months for every full semester they pay for.

I know this is probably a bit late, but hope it helps.
68W
USAR 99-05
COARNG 05-Present
OIF II

Return to “Post Service Issues”