Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

by armbar
Embryo

Introduction

Post by by armbar »

Greetings Rangers.

My name is Greg and I am 27 years old. I have been married for 3 years and have 2 kids. I currently work for a pool company during the day, coach and run a grappling school in the evenings.

This will be my 2ND attempt to join the army. Back in 2001 I started my process with the asvab and trip to MEPS. I did not sign a contract. Just after this visit I broke my hand and had to have surgery. I put a hold on the army so I could have the procedure and be able to rehab it. I went back to the recruiters about 9 months later to find out that my file was lost along with my birth certificate and social security card. After getting new copies of them, I did not go back. I was happy with my current job and just met my wife.

I now feel that I’m in the place to pick up were I left off and move forward with the process. I’m looking into the option 40 contract, as that is what I was going for in the first place.

I have a few questions but will post them in the forums they need to be in. If I could get pointed in the right direction of a mentor it would be great. I will post PT scores in the next 24 hrs.

I would like to thank you Rangers and other board members for the chance to assist me with this journey.

Greg
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Welcome to the site, and thank you for your desire to serve. Someone will be along very shortly to square you away...

The search tool is your friend...

Save copies of EVERYTHING you do in the Army.

That is all.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thanks for your interest in enlisting to become an Army Ranger. I am sure that with a wife and two young children, you realize that you will face a lot of time in training and in the Regiment away from them, and that you have given this much thought. Please read the ROE PM sent to you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Welcome Greg,

PM imbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Welcome to the site.
Read the thread by 'charisi'. He's your age, same family & doesnt sound nearly as squared away. There's some good advice there for an older family guy hoping to join our family.
Read & heed, this trip is harder for the more mature but it can be done -
However fit you are, it's not good enough - do more.
Plus, you'll need to train your wife, there will be times & places where she's going to have to come in second & your preparation to make it to Regiment is the first of those things.
IF you get there, I'm told family support is great, so make the most of this forum while you can.
Read lots & we'll be happy to help, we were all where you are now at some point.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome and thanks for your desire to serve. As said previously, it will not be easy with a family, but still worth it.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

Good luck in your endeavors. Being a grappling coach is in your favor. Don't forget your running.

I myself was a wrestling coach, Judo & Kenpo sensei. good way to keep yourself fit.

Do you compete?
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
by armbar
Embryo

Post by by armbar »

Thank you Rangers for your posts. I have found answers to all my questions around the forums.

I have not competed in any grappling competions in about a year. I have been training for mma only and have had two fight in that period. I have a fight i Dec. which may be my last for a while due to enlisting in the army. I will hopefully then get back into the grappling scene because i dont think i will be able to train for mma in the manner i should.

Im getting 53pu, 93su and running a high 13 min 2 mile but that is on a treadmill so i would say im high 14 min mile on foot. i will be starting to run on the cross country track tonight so i will have a better feel of time later. I was told that my pu number was low for my age by the recruiter and that i should be at 77. I will be working on this number from here on out. I have always belived in training the core mainly as that is were your power comes from but, i will see to it that my upper body training changes.

My swimming is very weak. How much of a role will that play in training? I believe i read i need to make it at least 30meters. That may be wrong, but I have a local gym with indoor pool so i will try to work on my swimming.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Swimming is essential. In my RS class most of those who failed the first week - we called it Registration Week - were washed out (no pun intended) in the swim test. It may be somewhat different today, but my class was required to swim the length of the pool carrying our weapons.
We also were required to descend to the bottom of the pool with LBE, remove the LBE at the bottom of the pool, then ascend and climb out of the pool unaided. Final test was being blindfolded, spun around, and walked off the three meter board holding our weapons at high port, then swim with the weapon to the side of the pool and exit, all WITHOUT DROPPING the weapon. Sounds easy, but the natural reaction to the surprise of falling and hitting the water caused many to drop the weapon.
There was no chance for a re-test.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
by armbar
Embryo

Post by by armbar »

Thanks for the quick reply on swimming. I do not think it sounds easy at all. Like I said I will start swimming in the morning before work from now on. I believe the distance swim will be my biggest threat, as im pretty used to working out of postions while not being able to breath, and having to regain my witts in a fight i hope will make the highdive board drop a little easier to deal with.
by armbar
Embryo

Post by by armbar »

I would like to make a edit to a post i had earlier about my sit-ups. This number is with a partner. Im not sure if this is the proper way the army does it or not. If they are done with out a partner i will re-test.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Welcome, Greg.

Feel free to type the word Ranger before you start discussing swimming with Lefty as if you and he are old friends. He's been a Ranger since before you were born... about 10 years before.

Otherwise, you seem to be on track pretty well. Good luck.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
by armbar
Embryo

Post by by armbar »

Thank you, Ranger 42L5V for clearing that up for me.

Ranger Lefty, I aplolgize for not giving you that repect.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

by armbar wrote:
Ranger Lefty, I aplolgize for not giving you that repect.
Also recommend you respect dictionaries and Spell Check.............

Good luck to you in your pursuits.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"

Return to “Introduction Archive”