Marine Rangers

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Disclaimer, I've never been a Marine, Mentors or Mods if I'm out of line please let me know.

As a Marine or a Ranger you will have to make decisions on your own and not be able to call home to Mom and Dad, I realize you are young, but this is something to think about if you are willing to wait until you are old enough to sign the contract yourself. I have nothing but mutual respect for Marines, but I consider (Humble Opinion of a four year Ranger) there to be really no comparison when it comes to training and/ or combat missions. I wasn't unimpressed with the Marines I came across in my service (which was rare because they weren't in the same job we were), but I felt pity for their lack of equipment and training, their morale from what I could tell was equal to that of the Rangers, but any tight knit group with a large amount of chest beating may be that way. Here is a good way to look at it, if you join the Marine Corps you will become a Marine, if you sign an option 40 contract, your odds of becoming a Ranger are extremely challenging (I'm sure someone here has percentage figures), take that how you will. This is a decision you should honestly make on your own, the several former Marines that I served with in the regiment stated that there was no comparison whatsoever (in the favor of the Rangers), a sidenote, two of these former Marines failed Ranger School and were RFSed from the Regiment (translated, released for inability to meet Ranger standards). I strongly feel that in the mission which Rangers are employed and trained for there is no better unit in the American military. This mission is not the same as the Marines, as a civilian you are not privy to details of these statements, as a member of this board states, I am not the way I am because I was a Ranger, I was a Ranger because of the way I am, think about that statement too. At the moment it sounds like you are lacking decisiveness Think about what you really want out of your service and what you really want to do. Good Luck.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

madslashers1-2 wrote:Disclaimer, I've never been a Marine, Mentors or Mods if I'm out of line please let me know.

As a Marine or a Ranger you will have to make decisions on your own and not be able to call home to Mom and Dad, I realize you are young, but this is something to think about if you are willing to wait until you are old enough to sign the contract yourself. I have nothing but mutual respect for Marines, but I consider (Humble Opinion of a four year Ranger) there to be really no comparison when it comes to training and/ or combat missions. I wasn't unimpressed with the Marines I came across in my service (which was rare because they weren't in the same job we were), but I felt pity for their lack of equipment and training, their morale from what I could tell was equal to that of the Rangers, but any tight knit group with a large amount of chest beating may be that way. Here is a good way to look at it, if you join the Marine Corps you will become a Marine, if you sign an option 40 contract, your odds of becoming a Ranger are extremely challenging (I'm sure someone here has percentage figures), take that how you will. This is a decision you should honestly make on your own, the several former Marines that I served with in the regiment stated that there was no comparison whatsoever (in the favor of the Rangers), a sidenote, two of these former Marines failed Ranger School and were RFSed from the Regiment (translated, released for inability to meet Ranger standards). I strongly feel that in the mission which Rangers are employed and trained for there is no better unit in the American military. This mission is not the same as the Marines, as a civilian you are not privy to details of these statements, as a member of this board states, I am not the way I am because I was a Ranger, I was a Ranger because of the way I am, think about that statement too. At the moment it sounds like you are lacking decisiveness Think about what you really want out of your service and what you really want to do. Good Luck.
and there ya have it on a basic level.............
I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps,
had I joined the army first as a Ranger I Would be a freakin SGM now like RGRPuck!!!!!!!!!!
instead,
I now polish his boots and make sure his uniform is to standard each day......

bottom line: Go Army

and don't give me none of that Recon crap! BTDT

and thats my .02...............
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Im assuming that he has to sign for you because you are under 18. You can always wait until you are 18 and sign for yourself.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Rangerguru wrote:Im assuming that he has to sign for you because you are under 18. You can always wait until you are 18 and sign for yourself.
And that's the best solution. You do not have to get anyone's permission; all you have to do is earn a place in the Ranger Regiment.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

You know what X. Basing a decision of this magnitude on what the recruiter looks like is about as sane as marrien an ugly women because her mother happens to look good in the hopes that she will grow pretty.
Your decision, your future and if your father is so fucking enamored with the Marines, tell him to join them and you'll see him on the high ground. Im not disrespecting your father however, a man has to make decisions based on what HE wants to do, not what the parents want. My Mother wanted me to become a Doctor. Something I had about as much accumen for as I did a nuclear scientist. I am what I am....see my saying at bottom of the post.

(Actually, I have always considered myself an apprentice gynocologist of sorts.) :wink:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
swagger
Ranger

Post by swagger »

Fishboy wrote:
madslashers1-2 wrote:Disclaimer, I've never been a Marine, Mentors or Mods if I'm out of line please let me know.

and there ya have it on a basic level.............
I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps,
had I joined the army first as a Ranger I Would be a freakin SGM now like RGRPuck!!!!!!!!!!
instead,

bottom line: Go Army

and don't give me none of that Recon crap! BTDT

and thats my .02...............
Met quite a few Marines gone Ranger, can't say I ever met a Ranger turned Marine. Rangers go Air Force.............. :wink:
1st BN: Bco 98-02, HHC 02-04
RS 5-99

If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly.
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

If you decide to wait until you're 18 then you'll have more time to do your PT & prepare yourself more fully to try to make it through RIP & all that goes before it. With the ability to pass a Ranger PT test you'll have the confidence to make it & get into a Ranger batallion.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

Fishboy wrote:
And if I wouldn't have spent my first 6 years in the Navy & gone directly in the Army I wouldn't be polishing Fishboy's boots.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Change your avatar
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

Glenn, MSG Ret. wrote:
Fishboy wrote:
And if I wouldn't have spent my first 6 years in the Navy & gone directly in the Army I wouldn't be polishing Fishboy's boots.
:lol:

It's a vicious circle...............
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

I've had 3 close friends in the Marines, 2 of which are out. Another is about to go in, so that will make four. Of the three that served I didn't speak to one that had much good to say about the management of the Corps.

I almost signed with the Marines down at MEPs. Imagine how my recruiter felt when I said that, he wanted to kill me. But they're flashy, they look cool, and you know you're going to get something more than just graduating basic training. The Marines come with built in esprit de corps. In the Army, you need to at times make it yourself, if you happen in some of the units out there. Anyone of those guys who shit talk the Marines will just as quick fuck you up for trying to trash talk it. So it's kind of like your sister being a whore... They can call it that, but not you... Oh no, not you.

Any route you take to serve this country is a good one. However, take the advice of the people who posted above me. I don't have anything to add that contradicts what they said, I can only reinforce or tell you a couple horror stories that I've witness and heard along my days here. But I am biased and don't know from personal experience.

Just don't sign up for the uniforms or the damn commercials. Sign up because you want to serve and lead soldiers, Rangers, or Marines. Whatever the hell you choose.

Good luck.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “The Mosh Pit”