VA Retro/Disabled Military Retiree Retroactive Pay

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

42L5V
Ranger

VA Retro/Disabled Military Retiree Retroactive Pay

Post by 42L5V »

On September 1, 2006, the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) finalized plans for disabled military retiree retroactive pay, commonly called the VA Retro program. The program is designed to pay eligible military retirees any retroactive money due as a result of increases in their percentage of disability. These payments include adjustments to Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC), Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP), and DVA disability compensation. Individual amounts will vary based on differences in disability amount and length of retroactive period.

No action is required by the retiree to initiate the VA Retro investigation. DVA is providing DFAS with the eligible retiree Social Security Number. Both organizations are working together to provide eligible retirees with their full entitlements to both DVA compensation and CRSC or CRDP.

As of August 2007, over 98,000 cases have been processed or about 75 percent of the original 133,000 cases. To date, the DVA has paid $133 million and DFAS has paid $28 million with the average payment being $1,638. We are now processing what are considered to be the more complex accounts. These involve multiple DVA rating adjustments, shifts by retirees between CRDP and CRSC, ex-spouse pay entitlements, and other issues that require lengthy record searches. Completion of all the original cases is anticipated to be no later than November 15, 2007.

Military retirees may call 1-877-327-4457 for issues concerning their entitlement to VA Retro. Trained customer service representatives are available at this phone number, which is exclusively for VA Retro questions, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (ET). Questions concerning disability percentages should be directed to DVA at 1-800-827-1000.

For all other questions regarding military retired pay, regular recurring CRSC or CRDP payments, allotments, taxes or any other retired pay-related business, call 1-800-321-1080. Service is available from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (except Federal holidays). Military retires can also find periodic updates concerning VA Retro on the DFAS web site: http://www.dfas.mil

http://www.dfas.mil/rna-news/august2007/varetro.html
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

Thanks for the info. Makes me mad that I'm so fuckin' healthy! I guess I'm satisfied with my retirement pay. After 27 years I wish it was a bit more, though.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG

Return to “Post Service Issues”