RMED Packing List

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:
Another huge discrepancy is that the civilian medics aren't properly trained in triage for Mass Casualty. This I've seen time and time again at crashes.
There was a house explosion that there was 2 pt out of. There was a possibility of approximately 5 pt. I was shocked when I saw an email on how great that "MCI" was handled. Initial medics on scene had three aircraft tied up and four of the five ambulances in the county on scene, For two fucking patients. When we did your AAR I was told to keep quiet since this is not the military.

I worked through several mascals while in Iraq both in the hospital and field. Until the civilian side pulls there head out of their asses and realizes that how they train for mascals is a joke I pray that I do not have to be involved with a real one.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
resqparamedic
Ranger

Post by resqparamedic »

91W wrote:
The Sleepy Doc wrote:
Another huge discrepancy is that the civilian medics aren't properly trained in triage for Mass Casualty. This I've seen time and time again at crashes.
There was a house explosion that there was 2 pt out of. There was a possibility of approximately 5 pt. I was shocked when I saw an email on how great that "MCI" was handled. Initial medics on scene had three aircraft tied up and four of the five ambulances in the county on scene, For two fucking patients. When we did your AAR I was told to keep quiet since this is not the military.

I worked through several mascals while in Iraq both in the hospital and field. Until the civilian side pulls there head out of their asses and realizes that how they train for mascals is a joke I pray that I do not have to be involved with a real one.
The problem with AAR's in the civilian world is that they are mostly run by the agency/agencies involved. And in the civilian world the folks involved have a very hard time pointing the finger at themselves and telling themselves they are fucked up and need to revamp the system.

It all has to do with the idea of not bringing people down, or causing a lack of confidence, because some shrink wrote it in a book somewhere on how not to talk with people. I have been told too keep my suck shut in AAR's because it isn't the military. I never do though, which is probably why I've been fired from a few places. But then I have also helped some places grow because their shit was weak.

People in Emergency Services will tell you they do things the way they dol them, because that is the way they have always done them. Well, when I started in EMS we didn't wear gloves. So who gives a shit about the past when their shit is weak and needs to be changed?

It all starts with you/us as individuals. When you get on your rig, or too your place of work, make sure your shit is squared away. From your uniforms to your equipment; constantly stay up on the latest ideas and treatments. Then mold your partner into a good EMS person.

When I was riding the streets, I was always in my partners shit. Especially being the medic, I always got on my EMT. Not in a bad way usually, but I would throw scenarios at them a couple of times a day. I made them help me GI the back of the rig, while doing so, going over the equipment, and more teaching/learning.

The pay off is when I see them years later and they are squared away, and squaring away others to be good medics. It's not an easy job, especially in high volume areas, but it is rewarding if you are on your game. And it is rewarding in watching the people you help turn into good medics, turn others into good medics too!

So that's how I fuck up the current systems. You can always find a way around their stupid Politically Correct niceness. If you can't break it off in them, point out where they fucked up, and deal with the fall out when it happens. When I have, I know I was right and what I said could save a life, so I didn't give a shit!

Good luck!
Regt HQ '93 - '94
Bco 3/75 '94 - '96

Afghanistan '04 - '05
Iraq '05 - '08
Sudan '08 - '09
Iraq '09 - As soon as I can finish up my contract!
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Why does it not surprise me to see were reading from the same playbook, Duff?

The first time I had to do a civilian Paramedic refresher i heard someone whine about how they shouldn't have to use a KED at a crash in bad weather because it takes too long. I couldn't fucking believe my ears and unloaded both barrels on him! "Are you fucking kidding me?!.. That is EXACTLY when we need to be proficient in it!..." I've never assumed I was the end all/be all in medicine, but what I do know I know like that back of my fucking hand.

I've also tried to poison young minds to the ways of the force. I've been lucky that 99% of my partners have been more than willing to learn and I try to teach them as much as I can. I get a lot of third riders (EMT's, Medics, even new MD's..) and I try and let them do the calls and just give guidance here and there. (Unless they are totally assed up!..then it's "watch and learn" time..) After every call I try and do an ad hoc AAR; what went right, what went wrong, what can we do differently next time. I've even tried to recruit a few guys to Active Duty as Ranger Medics (so far, no takers..)

Most of medics (and EMT's) in my area are actually very good. (It's just the fucked up ones that you notice the most..) The Doc's at our main hospital, Yale-New Haven know this and see who is good and who sucks. For the most part, if you can back your treatment up with sound clinical reasoning, they will give you carte-blanche. They are also very willing in turn to teach us whenever they can. They understand that a Medic with 10 years on the street has more clinical experience than someone right out of Med school.

I think the older you get, the more you realize which fights to take on and which to back away from. I try and keep my shot group tight and pass on what I can to the FNG's. Every day I'm learning or seeing something new. That is what keeps it interesting for me. I treat every patient with the same respect and care I'd give my own family, (even when they clearly don't deserve it.. ) I like to think that I'm doing good medicine, and take pride in knowing that people seek me out to work with them.

I used to work with a very wise and very experienced PA. He got his start as a Navy corpsman in Vietnam. He told me once that If you are that good you will never have to blow your own horn; every one else will do it for you. I've keep this in the back of my head and try to remember there is always someone smarter/more experienced/better trained than me, but I'm better than most motherfuckers at what I do. :wink:
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Medical Issues”