Disability Physical

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

F50LRRP
BANNED

Post by F50LRRP »

Were you in combat during your time in the Army? If so, look into PTSD and the unemployability issue.

I was 10% disabled from 1972 until 2000 for a disfiguring wound and a shoulder seperation. In 2000 I had a V.A. rep recommend filling for PTSD based upon multiple Purple Hearts and unemployability. I went from 10% to 100% along with Social Security. This adds up to about $3,000 per month.

Good luck, Ranger

Mike
KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

Unfortunately, while in Batt, I did not go overseas. After leaving the line to take care of some medical issues with my wife, I took over a position in S-4. So unless the VA counts having depression for NOT going to combat, I can't claim anything psychological. I will say that I know I suffer from depression mainly because I feel like I failed myself and 1/75 for not deploying, and it truly eats at me every single day. I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but I don't know what to do about it.
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

KeyserS175 wrote:Unfortunately, while in Batt, I did not go overseas. After leaving the line to take care of some medical issues with my wife, I took over a position in S-4. So unless the VA counts having depression for NOT going to combat, I can't claim anything psychological. I will say that I know I suffer from depression mainly because I feel like I failed myself and 1/75 for not deploying, and it truly eats at me every single day. I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but I don't know what to do about it.
Easy.

You qualify for medical care. That includes seeing the shrinks at the VA.

Just go make an appointment. Talk to the man. If he gives you meds, accept them. Whether you take them or not is up to you. If you are truly clinically depressed, then you should take the meds.

I am not a big fan of medications for psychiatric conditions myself. I far prefer one-on-one psychoanalysis, PT, getting laid, and living well. It also has to be said that financial security is the best anti-depressant of all time.

You can also see the therapists at the Vet Center, and you probably should. You need to make a call on whether you truly need to do this, as their resources are limited, and stretched. But if this is affecting your daily quality of life, not to mention that of others around you, and particularly your loved ones, then you should feel no remorse and go see them. That is why they are there. You owe it to yourself, and to your family.

Simple as that.

s.
-
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

I just got the paperwork back from the VA saying they have received my appeal. The want to know how I would like to handle the appeal, if I would like to have a Decision Review Officer assigned or if I would like to use the traditional appeal process. I'm pretty sure I want to go the Decision Review Officer route, but just wanted to get some input from those that have had to go through the process before? Thanks.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

KeyserS175 wrote:Unfortunately, while in Batt, I did not go overseas. After leaving the line to take care of some medical issues with my wife, I took over a position in S-4. So unless the VA counts having depression for NOT going to combat, I can't claim anything psychological. I will say that I know I suffer from depression mainly because I feel like I failed myself and 1/75 for not deploying, and it truly eats at me every single day. I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but I don't know what to do about it.
Hey brother, I was packing my shit to leave the same day 3rd was packing for the Afghanistan Jump, so I'm with you there. You played you part by helping them get ready. For all you know, something you did paid off by saving a life or helping the boys get the job done and come home safe. I know I did.. I was told by some of them after they got back.

As far as I know, your disability check won't affect getting a LEO job, as long as you can pass whatever physical they require.

This is the exact reason why we try and get the Joes to go on sick call. It ain't sniveling, or being weak.. but anything entered into your medical records would have paid off here.

That being said, the VA sucks and they take forever. One of the ladies at the Columbus VA office told me to apply for an increase every year and to stick to my guns. Shit, if the people who work there are telling you it must be true. Definitely take the free college/Voc rehab if you qualify.

Good Luck with it, and don't let the bastards drag you down.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

The best of luck to you Kaiser! You deserve every penny that you can get & then some!

I had 27 years of military service & am disgustingly healthy. I got a minor back injury by being a tad too close to an underwater detonation when in the Navy & further injured it in a jump in the Army. Acts up every once in a while but all in all I can do anything I want to as long as I have a bottle of ibuprophen handy just in case.

My heart goes out to any injured vet!!!

Glenn.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
F50LRRP
BANNED

Post by F50LRRP »

I was rated 10% disabled in 1972 (with 6 PHs). I was hired by the P.D. and spent 22 years working my way up from patrol officer to detective, to traffic sergeant, to watch commander and retired as police chief.

After retiring, I was encouraged to appeal my 10% rating by a retired Jar Head Gunny. I was reclassified eventually at 100%.

So the answer is yes. If you can pass the department physical, you can work as a LEO.

RLTW,

Mike

Return to “Post Service Issues”