Strangest you've seen

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Wade wrote:
42L5V wrote:Doesn't fit the "strangest" category - but still a cool view...
OK...it's cool and all...granted...but why does it look like a penis?
It represents not only the spearhead of the invasion, but the knives (sic daggers) that were used by Rangers in and during their assault of the cliffs.

I participated in a ceremony there June 6th, 1990.

After which, I went and visited the American Cemetary at St. Laurent by Omaha Beach.

It was stunningly beautiful, peaceful and serene, but at the same time, one of the most humbling moments I had experienced up until that time.

I teared up gazing upon all the honor that lay before me representing the price of freedom over there, and the blood shed on that soil.

I wasn't the only one.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

Agree. The four day weekend my family and I spent in Normandy remains one of my favorite trips during the seven years I spent in Europe!

Sorry for the hijack SB...
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
The Old Guy
Ranger

Post by The Old Guy »

centermass wrote:
Wade wrote:
It represents not only the spearhead of the invasion, but the knives (sic daggers) that were used by Rangers in and during their assault of the cliffs.

After which, I went and visited the American Cemetary at St. Laurent by Omaha Beach.

It was stunningly beautiful, peaceful and serene, but at the same time, one of the most humbling moments I had experienced up until that time.

I teared up gazing upon all the honor that lay before me representing the price of freedom over there, and the blood shed on that soil.

I wasn't the only one.
I spent two week there in 1984 for the 50th Anniversary. We spent a week rehearsing the climb and a week screwing around afterwards. I had the opportunity to sit at base of the cliffs for four hours, with the English Channel lapping our our feet, and talk to the original RANGERs who made the climb in 1944. That was the fastest four hours of my life and I will never forget that time. We allowed them to climb up first and we followed at the ceremony for Pres. Reagan and the Frog President.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Viktor E. Frankl
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Wade wrote:

Because it's in France... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was there in '99. Best vacation/trip I've ever had. CM - you're right about Omaha Beach and the cemetary. Old Guy - awesome story.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

The Old Guy wrote:
centermass wrote:
Wade wrote: OK...it's cool and all...granted...but why does it look like a penis?

I wasn't the only one.
I spent two week there in 1984 for the 50th Anniversary. We spent a week rehearsing the climb and a week screwing around afterwards. I had the opportunity to sit at base of the cliffs for four hours, with the English Channel lapping our our feet, and talk to the original RANGERs who made the climb in 1944. That was the fastest four hours of my life and I will never forget that time. We allowed them to climb up first and we followed at the ceremony for Pres. Reagan and the Frog President.
We watched that on TV at 1276N(B/1-75) and thought you SF pukes moved to fucking slow! :twisted:
We were very jealous, would have gave the left one to be there.
It must have been great.
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
Army Guard 96-to the present day
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82
"You can have one for free if it will shut the hole under your nose"

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”