Paragraph 3

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
RogueFA
Embryo

Paragraph 3

Post by RogueFA »

RANGERS,

Question about briefing OPORDS at RS. At what point is it best to utilize Terrain Model Kit? At the start of para 3, or upon conclusion of a particular sub paragraph?

For OPORD briefs, did anybody whip out the Ranger handbook and go line by line, using it as a checklist?
"...that's what this sack of wrenches is for." - Patches O'houlihan.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

After graduating from RS, I always kept a card with the 5 paragraph OPORD format in my wallet. Used it every time a WARNORD or OPORD was required. When our Company had an ARTEP, the CO usually had the Controller observe mine (got several commendable comments in the After Action Reviews). I liked to use a terrain model, but I never had a hard & fast rule -- just what seemed like the right time.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RRDTm3
Ranger

Re: Paragraph 3

Post by RRDTm3 »

RogueFA wrote:RANGERS,

Question about briefing OPORDS at RS. At what point is it best to utilize Terrain Model Kit? At the start of para 3, or upon conclusion of a particular sub paragraph?

For OPORD briefs, did anybody whip out the Ranger handbook and go line by line, using it as a checklist?
I taught that when you are on Actions on, use your sketch right up until you would literally put the first round down range or start the Recce.

go to your AOO TM which will fit in your bay planning sand table. you can show in depth who is doin what on the AOO TM

Once you transition to the TM you wanna stay there. Meaning use your map as much as possible. It is a goat fuck having guys get up and sit down just to show them one thing on the TM. Go to the TM for your routes, but when covering routes remember N,S,E,W box in by grid lines, intro your legend, cover routes and TRP's at the same time.......

Do you whip out the RHB? No, you live in the RHB.
The formats for WO/Opord are your only guide. when you do your Opord write out the entire format on matching paper. The info found in the RHB is basically questions you must answer with info found in highers. There are some things you will develop on your own but most guys figure out that the info is found in higher...............

You and all those like though won't listen and will try to put shit out from memory. Use the RHB or you will be like the 79% of students i graded in Ranger School................ a fucking No-Go!

formated cards are not allowed in the suck, except for status cards and some range cards

Oh and you are a dumbass, take your shit to Pre Ranger and learn, 2 weeks in PRC is better than a month in the Gulag

Silverback will be along shortly to translate.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RogueFA
Embryo

Post by RogueFA »

RANGER JIM and RANGER RRDTm3,

Thanks, and Roger - will live from Ranger Handbook.

Question: From experience as NGB Pre-Ranger, were AD o's accepted into that course? From what I've searched on ArmyRanger.com it looks like NG o's are authorized. I'll complete pre-Ranger at Ft. Sill, but that ain't Benning.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

RogueFA wrote:RANGER JIM and RANGER RRDTm3,

Question: From experience as NGB Pre-Ranger, were AD o's accepted into that course? From what I've searched on ArmyRanger.com it looks like NG o's are authorized. I'll complete pre-Ranger at Ft. Sill, but that ain't Benning.
Pre Ranger at Fort Sill?

Never heard of it, I am sure the cadre aren't Ranger Inst. qualified either and that makes a huge fucking difference.

NG PRC takes all comers, call 706-575-8965, tell'em Bubba sent you
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RogueFA
Embryo

Post by RogueFA »

RANGER RRDTm3,

Roger that. Will call when I go on AD early June. Appreciate the help with PRC and answers on TM/Paragraph 3.
spanky
Ranger

Post by spanky »

RRDTm3 wrote:

Pre Ranger at Fort Sill?

Never heard of it, I am sure the cadre aren't Ranger Inst. qualified either and that makes a huge fucking difference.

I don't know how they do it now, but when I went to the Artillery officer advanced course in 1984, I somehow wound up running a pre-Ranger course for the 2LTs in officer basic. My only qualification for this was having spent two years in 1st Batt, and being Ranger qualified. Not being a Ranger instructor, I sort of focused pre-Ranger on the Patrol Order and land nav for knowledge, and PT that was equivalent to what we did on Squad and Platoon PT in 1st Batt. I'd like to think that I did my part both in preparing the young LTs, and in weeding out the ones that weren't worth wasting a slot on. My pre-Ranger class started 18 young studs. After 4 months, only 3 were left, and I think they all got a slot at Ranger school. We only got to do this activity from about 0500 to 0700 in the morning each day, so it wasn't like a full time pre-Ranger course. It was amazing how a 5-mile rucksack run will separate out the wannabes. :) :twisted: :twisted:
RGR Class 8-78
A Team FIST, HHC, 1/75 80-82 Hunter AAF

An Armed Society is a Polite Society
Infantry44
Ranger

Post by Infantry44 »

AD O's (even you FAguys) can attend the WTCs PRC. If I recall we had 8 in my class. They did the Pre-Ranger @ Ft. Sill during FAOB and got RS slots upon completion of that "PR". But when they showed up to RS their slots were gone, so they did a drug deal and got into PRC. The rest (for about half of them anyway) is history.

Graduate college, graduate FAOBC, call Bubba, graduate PRC, & then he will personally drive you to RS if deemed worthy
#06-06
OIF 06-08 (PL, 10th MTN)
OIF VII / OND (XO, 5th GRP)
JORSOF EV11 (TL, 5th GRP)
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

RRDTm3 wrote:

Pre Ranger at Fort Sill?

That's excellent advice :twisted:
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”