question about assaulting a position/ IMT

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

question about assaulting a position/ IMT

Post by m-14.762 »

Rangers,
I have a very basic question that I hope you could help me with.

You have your squad and your moving in a squad column, fire team wedge.

A team up front makes contact and the SL wants to flank Right with Bravo team.

So A team has got them pinned down good, and lets say Bravo is 100 meters away assaulting their position...

the assaulting buddy team that is "set" lays down fire to cover their buddy and to put fire on the objective correct? They can either use alternate or successive techniques while moving forward.

Does the SL who is leading the assault direct the two buddy teams forward, using 3 second rushes? Or does he just tell them to assault the position and the Team just does it automatically.

when they close in to they do just a mad bum rush?

Is there any FM's where I can read up on this sort of thing, I searched and came up with the basic IMT but it was very general.

thanks
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

based off of cover and concealment the Tm leader leads his tm up on foot until they are taking effective fire or have the enemy in sight. If they are taking effective fire the TM leader will control the bounds of his TM. Once they are close enough that the support element runs the risk of shooting friendlies the Tm leader will give a shift signal (via Fm or some type of signal for the support element to shift and ultimately lift fire, they assualt thru the OBJ giving each bad a guy a controled pair or double tap. Once the assault element has reached the LOA, usually 10-15 meters past the last dead guy they will get online where TM ldr gets a ACE report. The support element will then be moved up and get online so that the entire sqd forms an L with the gun Tm at one end with a PDF 35 meters out, the support Tm ldr gives the sqd leader his TM's ACe report. Depending on the mission you will conduct a EPW search or move out and call in a fire misson on where you just left.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

and the SL is typically where on this, once B TM begins their manuever to assault the threat Bubba? (yes, I fucking remember, but it's your class...)
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

KW Driver wrote:and the SL is typically where on this, once B TM begins their manuever to assault the threat Bubba? (yes, I fucking remember, but it's your class...)
Tab check!

SL goes where he wants, either to the rear of A TM or B TM, based of previous patrol experience of the manuever TM ldr who in most cases will be the B Tm ldr will lead his own Tm as to viloate span of control, he is after all the second most experienced guy in the SQD.

Preferrably you want the MG Tm in a position to be able to lay down a base of fire to cover the support TM and the Assault TM. however if done with violence of action the gun TM won't even fire. You should try and keep Gun Tm from firing so as to not to let the other bad guys around know you have a crew served wpn.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Myself
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

RRDTm3 wrote:
KW Driver wrote:and the SL is typically where on this, once B TM begins their manuever to assault the threat Bubba? (yes, I fucking remember, but it's your class...)
Tab check!
whatchu talkin bout, Willis?

you know damn well I gots mines...

wannna talk about how to AMC 4 or 5 SWTs, talk two ground freqs, air freq and ATC, deconflict and run a JAAT clock, to intiate a GND Assault with O/O AGI, while scooting at 0-20' AHO, 50-80 KIAS? we could go there...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RRDTm3 wrote:
Tab check!

SL goes where he wants, either to the rear of A TM or B TM, based of previous patrol experience of the manuever TM ldr who in most cases will be the B Tm ldr will lead his own Tm as to viloate span of control, he is after all the second most experienced guy in the SQD.

Preferrably you want the MG Tm in a position to be able to lay down a base of fire to cover the support TM and the Assault TM. however if done with violence of action the gun TM won't even fire. You should try and keep Gun Tm from firing so as to not to let the other bad guys around know you have a crew served wpn.
In the "Real Army" Squads do not normally maneuver with a Machinegun team.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

FM 7-8 Battle Drill 1A.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Silverback wrote:
RRDTm3 wrote:
Tab check!

In the "Real Army" Squads do not normally maneuver with a Machinegun team.
Oh golly gee I didn't know that since I have never been in the REAL Army.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

Mentor to Myself

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”