Metal plate waiver?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
CBS44
Soldier

Metal plate waiver?

Post by CBS44 »

SFC Hit_It or anyone else who knows:

I have been meeting with my recruiter and was scheduled for MEPS on April 9, but there was a problem. See, I broke my hand a couple years ago and had to have surgery. We are currently waiting on my waiver to process. I searched the forum and couldn't find anything, so I have to ask: Can I get Opt 40 with a waiver for a metal plate and five pins in my hand?
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

NO

we have had this info posted here, but it has not had it's own thread.

IF YOU REQUIRE A MEDICAL WAIVER TO JOIN, YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR AN OPTION 40.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
CBS44
Soldier

Thanks

Post by CBS44 »

Well, that's disappointing, but in the back of my mind i kind of knew the answer. Thank you SFC hit_it for your answer.
Once I'm in, is there any way I can make it to Ranger school?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Hey CBS - let me ask you a question that may provide some guidance on what the Army is thinking. What happens to that Steel Plate when it's extremely cold out? Your body probably has a more difficult time keeping that plate warm than it would biological material. Is that right or wrong? Or do you not know because you have been required to subject yourself to any extremely cold temperatures, such as you sometimes do when in the military?

In the military, everyone pretty much is required to have the same capabilities. They cannot keep some people and say 'These people can do the job of everyone else in the Army, but cannot deploy to 'such and such' and environment. It has to be the same for everyone.
CBS44
Soldier

Post by CBS44 »

Ranger Spartan,
You bring up a good point. I have not experienced any discomfort on the bone or metal plate in the two years since the surgery, even though it has been subjected to cold temps for days on end (on snowy hunting trips).
Still, I do not know how it would react to the extreme stress during military training. Just because it hasn't failed yet, doesn't mean it won't. I don't think it will, but it can. I understand the Army's reasoning, and wouldn't want to be a liability in the field because of my hand.
It is just frustrating because here I was, ready to sign when I finished my first trip to MEPS and was told I would have to wait for a waiver.

— CBS44
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Understand. For all you know at this point, your waiver may get approved. Then again, it may not. It'll be worth it to find out so don't get too disappointed yet.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Calabrio wrote:I have a similar question, and I do not believe it has been addressed-

what if you had a metal pin at one time, but it has since been removed? Will that still necesitate a waiver, and exclusion from the option 40? Thank you.
It's not a similar question, it's a stupid question. What would the waiver be for? There's nothing there and there's nothing wrong. Think before ya talk.

RLTW
Bell
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Calabrio wrote:I'm relieved to hear that it is a stupid question. I was concerned that the prior medical problem would be grounds for a waiver. Thank you Ranger Bell.
Just to make sure you "Caught" what Ranger Bell is saying.... Do not bring to anyones attention anything you do not want scrutinized. Unless, it will hamper you in doing your job or endanger someone else's life!

Bell correct me if I am not catching your meaning correctly!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Bell

Post by Bell »

You caught it Ranger McD as most Rangers would. But cherries seem to enjoy stepping on their dicks so much and snitching on themselves that the double answer probably flew right past them.

First - It was a stupid question because there isn't anything to write the waiver on. A waiver is a contract between you and the Army stating that you have a problem or an issue going into the service. The Army has examined it and decided to allow you to serve but with restrictions. Such as not being able to serve in certain units; not being able to recieve medical attention for certain conditions; not being allowed to serve in certain countries.

I signed a waiver when I joined. I have tinnitus. Loss of high frequency hearing. The waiver stated that the military would never pay me for loss of hearing if it happened.

Second - As Ranger McD pointed out, why do you guys always want to snitch on yourselves? Don't lie, but don't bring something into the conversation that requires more answers. Yes or no answers would probably be the best way to talk for most of ya.

RLTW
Bell
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Bell wrote:
Calabrio wrote:I have a similar question, and I do not believe it has been addressed-

what if you had a metal pin at one time, but it has since been removed? Will that still necesitate a waiver, and exclusion from the option 40? Thank you.
It's not a similar question, it's a stupid question. What would the waiver be for? There's nothing there and there's nothing wrong. Think before ya talk.

RLTW
Bell
exactly. no waiver will be required BUT medical documents must still be submitted.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
CBS44
Soldier

Update

Post by CBS44 »

Quick update: It has been about two months and I am happy to report that my waiver got approved last week and I will sign tomorrow (Thursday). I got all 1's on my profile and did decent enough on the ASVAB (91, 126{?} GT), so hopefully tomorrow I can report back with an 11X and Airborne contract.
Thank you SFC_Hit It and Ranger Spartan for answering the question in my original post.

Return to “Recruitment Process”