Improving run time

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Rak_187

Improving run time

Post by Rak_187 »

Since we just got back from Iraq PT has taken place twice a day. Pretty much running and push ups and sit ups in the morning then I do weight training in the after noon. Last week during PT we were doing sprint work outs at a track early in the morning. My last stint of running backwards we turned around into a full sprint and in the process I rolled my left ankle pretty damn badily. Since then I've been slowly working my run back up but I feel something is still a little weak . We have an APFT coming up soon and I need this one badily in order to go to the board , is there any way to improve my running and maintain it. I quit smoking for the most part to regain my respiratory system and well just really afraid to fuck up my ankle again. Running on the week ends is really not going to happen since I live right off the main highway out side of Campbell and way to much shit to do . Any helpful suggestions Rangers?
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

fartleks, hills, and intervals. if there is a track nearby, (regulation length, not the one mile long style tracks but the 400m) try running one lap as fast as you can then walk 100m, then run two laps as fast as you can, then walk 100m. repeat this cycle 4 or 5 times. do it every other day and in between on the other days run 2 miles for time or run at a slow steady pace for at least 30 minutes.

example:
mon-2 miles for time
tuesday-track workout
wed-30-45 min run
thurs-track workout
fri-30-45 min run or 2 miles for time

you will be suprised at how well the interval workout will improve your apft run.
RS 05-07
1st ID 1-26 IN 9/07-09/09
3d U.S. Inf Regt 10/09-Present

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
Gator85
Embryo

Post by Gator85 »

Sorry if I might be out of line but I am an experienced runner and one of the most basic things you can do to improve run times is when you are resting instead of walking keep your running form, you might be "running" at 1 mile per hour but you are keeping the form that you run in and are thus still working the same muscle group, even if you are giving it a nice oxygen break. I remember on a day of 30x 300 meters at 800 meter pace(2:06 for me back at my peak) I had the gaul to walk for 5 meters of the 200 meter recovery run after the 25th rep and got royally chewed out by my coach and earned myself another 5 reps.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”