97b

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Corazon
Egg

Post by Corazon »

I'm sorry to bring this old thread back from the dead, but I've been wondering about the same thing, and haven't been able to find an answer.
It's hard enough to find information on CI, let alone what the life of a 97B in a Ranger regiment is like :wink:
Any info would be appreciated.
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

No. You will have no need for those special skills. You will get Ranger mabye jump master but that is about it. Only infantry/commo guys get that shit.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
SkyRaider

Post by SkyRaider »

Military Freefall and Parachutist Course slots are very limited. The course trains military men from all branches of the Armed Forces as well as some of our Allies forces. The course runs 5 weeks long with a new class beginning every 3 weeks. There are appoximately 50 students in each class. Each of the Battalions are given a limited amount of slots per year. Regiment slots are geared toward those in Recon. The chances of a counter intelligence guy securing such a coveted school is unlikely. If, however, the same rule applies as it did when I was at Bat; any soldier who graduates as an honor graduate from Ranger School gets his choice of school, then you have a remote chance. Good Luck.
Corazon
Egg

Post by Corazon »

Thanks for the info.
Another thing I'm wondering is how the job of a 97B that isn't in a Ranger regiment is different from one that is. From what I've learned about 97B, it seems like a desk job (depending on assignment, but I've still got a lot to learn about all this), and I was curious if a 97B in a Ranger battalion is less likely to be stuck behind a desk.
Again, thanks for the info on schools.
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

to answer your question about what a 97b does at RHQ (there are no slots for 97Bs at BN only RHQ) you will spend the majority of your day to day time behind a desk. can you say personnel security, EPSQ, key and lock control, OPSEC briefs/inspections, and other assorted dumpster diver things

on the bright side you will have an oppurtunity to go to ranger school and possibly jump-master school and maybe 1 or 2 others if you prove yourself. HALO, SCUBA, Pathfinder and other really cool looking badge schools will almost always be a no, i say almost always because I do know of a 96B, who has a scuba bubble but this is rare.

you will get some field time but your job is still the duties of a 97b. if you do your job and do it well you may get noticed by other socom units and slots in other units may open up for you

if you have the chance to go, definitely take it
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”