Fellow Bros who are in the Guard

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Kat1/75
Ranger

Fellow Bros who are in the Guard

Post by Kat1/75 »

Been really debating the issue of going into the NG as an officer. Getting older and running out of time. Basically looking to fill something that eats at me f@#$ng daily "Why did I get out". For those of you who are in the NG, Any Regrets? Just want to get a feel from everybody before I sign on the dotted line for OCS which is approx an 8 year commitment and with that I know I would have to shoot for retirement.
ACO 1/75 WPNS. PLT.
12/93-3/98
Class 1/96
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Re: Fellow Bros who are in the Guard

Post by 23LRS »

Kat1/75 wrote:Been really debating the issue of going into the NG as an officer. Getting older and running out of time. Basically looking to fill something that eats at me f@#$ng daily "Why did I get out". For those of you who are in the NG, Any Regrets? Just want to get a feel from everybody before I sign on the dotted line for OCS which is approx an 8 year commitment and with that I know I would have to shoot for retirement.
I took a 2 year break from the NG and came back in about 3 months ago. I am 39 and I am serving in an Inf. BN. We are getting sent down range after the first of the year. I missed the Army like crazy, and I got tired of watching everything happen on Fox News. I hated the Guard when I was in the Arty, but now that I am back in the Infantry I am a happy camper! I have 6 years to hit my 20, and that's what I enlisted for. They gave me a nice bonus and are paying a chunk of my student loans. I have my degree and they have talked to me about OCS, but I like being an NCO.
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

Only regret was I waited so long to get back in.
Your looking at going a good route, where you can make a difference.
Lot of good folks, many who have no active time, now a days many who have real world experience. Also, count on being activated at some point after your commission, but you already know that I assume.
I to have six to go for twenty, no regrets at all about joining. Met a lot great people, many who will be life long friends, and have added a lot of great stories and times to the "I remember when chest".
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
Army Guard 96-to the present day
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82
"You can have one for free if it will shut the hole under your nose"
Kat1/75
Ranger

Post by Kat1/75 »

I liked being an NCO and I know there is a good bonus. Beating myself back and fourth on the decision. I know if I choose OCS, I won't be deployable until after commisioning. Which I was told takes approx 1 and 1/2 to 2 years stateside.
ACO 1/75 WPNS. PLT.
12/93-3/98
Class 1/96
Kat1/75
Ranger

Post by Kat1/75 »

RGR Mac wrote:Only regret was I waited so long to get back in.
Your looking at going a good route, where you can make a difference.
Lot of good folks, many who have no active time, now a days many who have real world experience. Also, count on being activated at some point after your commission, but you already know that I assume.
I to have six to go for twenty, no regrets at all about joining. Met a lot great people, many who will be life long friends, and have added a lot of great stories and times to the "I remember when chest".
Not worried about being deployed, it's the regret of never going and living with it. Thanks for the feedback.
ACO 1/75 WPNS. PLT.
12/93-3/98
Class 1/96
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Brother,
1.5 - 2 years is not as long as it sounds. There are more than enough deployment opportunities. Be careful whatyou wish for and I wish you well in whatever you choose.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Kat1/75
Ranger

Post by Kat1/75 »

Silverback wrote:Brother,
1.5 - 2 years is not as long as it sounds. There are more than enough deployment opportunities. Be careful whatyou wish for and I wish you well in whatever you choose.
No I know and agree with you totally. Just don't want to be 20 years down the road thinking that I should have fully knowing that I could have.
ACO 1/75 WPNS. PLT.
12/93-3/98
Class 1/96
Kat1/75
Ranger

Post by Kat1/75 »

Kat1/75 wrote:[Not worried about being deployed, it's the regret of never going and living with it. Thanks for the feedback.
Realized this sounded kind of gay. Of course I worry about being deployed, didn't want to sound like some kind of hero on this topic. :oops:
ACO 1/75 WPNS. PLT.
12/93-3/98
Class 1/96
Nugget
Ranger

Post by Nugget »

The guard is a totally different monster. If you have never been in it before, think long and hard if you want to be training and maybe fighting next to some fatbody that is still in only because your CO had to make his numbers look good. I can't stand the words " I can't " and I've heard that many times in the infantry unit I was in, and we were probably the best compnay in our battalion.

I hate the Guard, but I do it cause I could never be totally out of the Army, I love this shit too much. There's always good guys, but they are few compared to the non-PTing mother fucker that is good buddies with "top". (That was for you SB :wink: )

Maybe becoming an officer is the way to go. Where I'm at they seem to be more worried about meeting there quota and pleasing the o's above them than getting good training and making sure soldiers are ready for war.

Rant over.
A Co 1/75 1996-2000
Class 9-98

"I'm not the best medic, but I'm YOUR medic"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Kat1/75 wrote:
Kat1/75 wrote:[Not worried about being deployed, it's the regret of never going and living with it. Thanks for the feedback.
Realized this sounded kind of gay. Of course I worry about being deployed, didn't want to sound like some kind of hero on this topic. :oops:
Doesn't sound gay at all. I was brought up to "Pray for war", I don't remember when it happened but all of a sudden there were very few of us who still prayed for war and even fewer yet who continue to pray for war.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rugger
Ranger

Post by Rugger »

I have been in both the Guard and the Reserves. (18yrs) Both have good guys and both have a lot of politics and dick sucking. I use to teach OCS and in the National Guard if you do not go through the State OCS program you are always going to play second fiddle to the guys who "earned" their bars. It is bullshit but it is a fact. What I have noticed over the years is that when a young squared away leader comes in he tends to get burned out by the politics that he was not prepared for. Those of us who are from Batt tend to want to get rid of the shit bags. In the Guard they want to keep the shit bags because every body counts towards funding.

I have avoided line units for my entire career because I did not want to deal with the shit bags. Try to get into a LRS unit, a pathfinder unit a support SF company like MI or a Psyop unit on jump status. There are some cool units that operate in small teams that will not drive you insane. You will not make General but you will enjoy your time. In the CA unit that I went to OEF with we had Six four man CA teams. Four of our team sergeants were Batt Boys, and the other one was a paratrooper from the 82nd. The fifth was a dud who we relieved.

I do not regret my time in the reserve component, but I strongly encourage you to manage your career so that you get to do exactly what you want.
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

i like the look of this thread, thats two in as many days that support my desire to get backinto the swing of things..currently have two options that i am looking into.

Army Reserve. SF team out of chicago? ( not sure which team much less which group, but its the word i got, currently have the A. reserve recuiter looking into it for me)

National Gaurd -F.co 425th LRS out of selfirdge Air N. gaurd base (ten minutes from my house)..i am interested in this route, however i have heard they might be disbanded and am not to thrilled at the idea of being retasked to the needs of the gaurd..suck...

so i gotta figure out which will better fit me in the long run..the info gathering phase sucks..especially from the outside...

RLTW,
Grifter
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Grifter144 wrote:i like the look of this thread, thats two in as many days that support my desire to get backinto the swing of things..currently have two options that i am looking into.

Army Reserve. SF team out of chicago? ( not sure which team much less which group, but its the word i got, currently have the A. reserve recuiter looking into it for me)

National Gaurd -F.co 425th LRS out of selfirdge Air N. gaurd base (ten minutes from my house)..i am interested in this route, however i have heard they might be disbanded and am not to thrilled at the idea of being retasked to the needs of the gaurd..suck...

so i gotta figure out which will better fit me in the long run..the info gathering phase sucks..especially from the outside...

RLTW,
Grifter
Careful with the LRS, these uits are being replaced by Cavalry (RSTA) squadrons.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Tell you what I think Kat. Nothing in the Guard will measure up to Regiment. Nothing. But, a leader has the ability to make those around him better. And the fact is, most...not all, but most who come in the Guard WANT to learn the right way to soldier and will rise to the occasion. As an NCO you have an enormous amount of latitude to do the right thing. As an Officer...it's tough. The frustrations are enormous. But, an NCO can effect change within the circle he operates in. Forget the money....as an NCO you will save lives, affect people, and be doing the right things for the right reasons.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

Nugget wrote:The guard is a totally different monster. If you have never been in it before, think long and hard if you want to be training and maybe fighting next to some fatbody that is still in only because your CO had to make his numbers look good. I can't stand the words " I can't " and I've heard that many times in the infantry unit I was in, and we were probably the best compnay in our battalion.

I hate the Guard, but I do it cause I could never be totally out of the Army, I love this shit too much. There's always good guys, but they are few compared to the non-PTing mother fucker that is good buddies with "top". (That was for you SB :wink: )

Maybe becoming an officer is the way to go. Where I'm at they seem to be more worried about meeting there quota and pleasing the o's above them than getting good training and making sure soldiers are ready for war.

Rant over.
The Guard is definitely a different monster. There are guys who can't pass a PT test and are totally fat bodies that stay in for years because they are needed as far as numbers go. There is also some bad attitude that wouldn't fly on AD. So far, I have seen very little of that in this unit. They are getting a ton of funding for schools and training, and in general they are really attracting the type of soldier I want to be around. We don't have time to dick around since we are getting called up so quickly, and I think that is the prevailing atmosphere here. When I was in the Arty, the morale SUCKED. We had typical leg-assed NG babies who really pissed in your BBQ. I hated every drill I went to. Every good NCO that came through there left after a few drills. I stayed for the college money and in-state tution. We got no money for anything and all we would do is go to the motor pool and do PMCS on the vehicles. They treated NCO's like privates. I am very glad to be in the unit I am now. It's not AD, but that's okay.
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”