Motrin question

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Motrin question

Post by Silverback »

Tater Nuts wrote:Does a constant regimen of 4 motrin a day 2 AM and 2 PM have any long term undesirable effects ?
The number of pills won't matter as much as the Miligrams of ibuprofen in your system
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Tater Nuts wrote:I have impinged rotator cuffs caused by deformation of the scapular ends. I am an insulin dependant diabetic and as such am unwilling to take cortizone or other steroidal treatments. The twice a day Motrin regimen seems to keep it at a tolerable level. I try to avoid surgery like I owe it money (Still have all original equipment, tonsils, appendix, etc.). Is there a down side to living on motrin and a low grade constant discomfort ?
Tater, right after heart disease/heart attacks, NSAIDs are the leading cause of death in this country.

I was on 3 a day 800 mg for YEARS. Now I only take it if I am dying.

There are plenty of long term effects, you can do some research online and I'm sure you'll find something.

My advice is to use it sparingly.

Jim
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

There appears to be enough evidence about Liver damage that it bares mentioning. But, several factors come into play. Medical condition, tolerance, amount taken ect....At your age and in light of the small amount you are taking, I have serious doubts that you will see any side effects. Besides, the alternatives are few that dont similar side effects.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

What mg are you taking Tater? I hope it ain't 2 800's twice a day.
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

Here is the package insert for Motrin:

http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/download/uspi_motrin.pdf
Aspirin and NSAIDs

The main side effect associated with aspirin and other NSAIDs is gastrointestinal (GI) problems. These problems can range from upset stomach to GI bleeding, a serious event that is more likely to occur in older people. The chances of experiencing GI problems from NSAIDs or aspirin increase the larger the dose you take and the longer you take them.

NSAIDs can cause a variety of side effects related to kidney function. These side effects range from reversible inflammation to permanent kidney damage.

Aspirin and NSAIDs may make high blood pressure worse or interfere with blood pressure medicines.

High doses of aspirin pose a risk of liver damage for people who have liver disease, juvenile arthritis, or rheumatic fever.
Ranger Tater Nuts, I would have to say that it would be in your best interest to see a Doc about the issue. A Flight Surgeon I worked for was a GI doc and he did not like Motrin or Naproxen(Alleve) for longer than 10 days at a prescription dose. He stated that everyone who takes it will have some level of intestinal bleeding at the end of those ten days and will be at risk for more complications later in life. I have had very good luck personally with Vitiman E, It is an antioxident and will naturally help with chronic inflamation.

There are other drugs on the market but with you health history you should see an MD about them. If I was going to take Motrin on a long term basis I would follow the label directions and keep in mind the side efects.
Serious side effects include:

· heart attack
· stroke
· high blood pressure
· heart failure from body swelling (fluid retention)
· kidney problems including kidney failure
· bleeding and ulcers in the stomach and intestine
· low red blood cells (anemia)
· life-threatening skin reactions
· life-threatening allergic reactions
· liver problems including liver failure
· asthma attacks in people who have asthma

Other side effects include:

· stomach pain
· constipation
· diarrhea
· gas
· heartburn
· nausea
· vomiting
· dizziness
Get emergency help right away if you have any of the following symptoms:
· shortness of breath or trouble breathing
· chest pain
· weakness in one part or side of your body
· slurred speech
· swelling of the face or throat

Stop your NSAID medicine and call your healthcare provider right away if you have any of the following symptoms:

· nausea
· more tired or weaker than usual
· itching
· your skin or eyes look yellow
· stomach pain
· flu-like symptoms
· vomit blood
· there is blood in your bowel movement
or it is black and sticky like tar
· skin rash or blisters with fever
· unusual weight gain
· swelling of the arms and legs, hands
and feet

These are not all the side effects with NSAID medicines. Talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist for more
information about NSAID medicines.

Other information about Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

· Aspirin is an NSAID medicine but it does not increase the chance of a heart attack. Aspirin can cause
bleeding in the brain, stomach, and intestines. Aspirin can also cause ulcers in the stomach and intestines.

· Some of these NSAID medicines are sold in lower doses without a prescription (over –the –counter).Talk to your healthcare provider before using over –the –counter NSAIDs for more than 10 days.
[/b]
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Sleepy Doc replied in a seperate thread. I copied his reply and deleted his new thread. Here is his reply:

The Sleepy Doc wrote:Other than the oft mentioned GI bleeding (which is prevented by taking w/ food..) the most serious side effect that I have heard of is kidney damage/failure. From what I understand, you really have to go out of your way to do that. (ie: take a handful at once.. ) I have seen patients on permanent dialysis for this very reason.

It sounds like you are well under the toxic doseage level, but with any drug you need to consult with your doctor or pharmacist. I don't know if you have tried it but extra strength Tylenol is actually very good at controlling chronic pain.

I hate to say it, but probabally the best way to get rid of the pain is to have the surgery, so long as it is a condition that can be surgically repaired. If it is a more mechanical than degenerative problem you may be in luck. Again, your doctor would be the one to tell you, and get a second opinon if you don't believe him. I would defineitely steer clear of the VA for this. A shoulder is something you want a well experienced surgeon cutting on, someone with a sports medicine background perhaps?

I remember we used to tell our Rangers that if they are taking more than 800mg three times a day and it won't control the pain, there is something else that needs to be addressed. (different med, further consult , physical therapy, etc.) Either way, talk to your primary care Doc and see if he can hlep you. Good Luck!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Right now I'm taking approx 4-6 800's a day and have been for a couple of months. My ass ain't bleedin' yet.

There's been times in the past that I've takin' 4 800's in a pop 3-4 times a day. But thats just me.

I "WOULDN'T" recommend it though!!!
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

AbnRgr289 wrote:Right now I'm taking approx 4-6 800's a day and have been for a couple of months. My ass ain't bleedin' yet.

There's been times in the past that I've takin' 4 800's in a pop 3-4 times a day. But thats just me.

That is absolutely too much motrine. You must not realize the damge your doing to your liver.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Silverback wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:Right now I'm taking approx 4-6 800's a day and have been for a couple of months. My ass ain't bleedin' yet.

That is absolutely too much motrine. You must not realize the damge your doing to your liver.
Liver?

Oh ya'.........that thing I shit out a couple of years ago. I thought it was because of all the booze!! :roll:
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Silverback wrote:

Yep. By the time your ass is bleeding you will need to be in the hospital.

You have to think long term effects, not the here and now.

I've been doing a lot of reading on healthy living, etc. While I don't buy into all of it, I do believe the principle that asking the drug companies if there drug is okay and if you need it is a recipe for disaster. Doctors these days don't "treat" anything. They prescribe drugs and try to cut/burn the symptoms instead of dealing with the underlying problems.

My 2 pesos....I'm not a doctor, but my fiancee has a nurse's outfit.... :twisted:
RRDTm3
Ranger

Re: Motrin question

Post by RRDTm3 »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
Tater Nuts wrote:Does a constant regimen of 4 motrin a day 2 AM and 2 PM have any long term undesirable effects ?
Can't be any worse than a load of jizz 4-6 times a day.

WTF? :shock:
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself

Return to “Medical Issues”