So Confused

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Contact an Inspector General. It does not have to be your unit IG. You can even go the the TIG at DA. An IG can generally get an unresponsive chain of command to respond.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

Thank you Ranger Bill, I will try that, I'm open to anything at this point. Do you happen to know how I might go about getting the number or location of the IG office here at Fort Campbell? :oops:
reluctant civilian
Tadpole

Post by reluctant civilian »

This is the info for the IG at Ft. Campbell.
http://www.campbell.army.mil/ima/sites/ ... ion/ig.asp

I hope they can help, Good Luck!
U.S. Army 1993-1998
U.S. Army Reserve 2000- 2002
Married my Ranger in 1996.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

Thank you, I put in a call to the Ft Campbell IG and they referred me to the Reserve IG with the 81st. Hpefully I can get some answers, for now I'm just getting answering machines though. :lol:
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

I had a once had a soldier in a similar situation. It took a long time to get resolved, unfortunately, I can't offer you any more advice other than be persistant.

One source of problems is that not all dual-military families try to resolve things with a discharge. Just in my detachment (~PLT size), I had three female, reservist soldiers/mothers who were married to deployed AD soldiers. Only one of the three sought a discharge. Even if the commander has to flag the soldier as "non-deployable", it is still usually preferable to a discharge (more personnel on the books = more training funds).

My soldier also had some additional problems you probably don't have. The main ones were a battalion distributed into several detachments that were widely spread (the Army had since fixed) and mass "good-of-the-Army" personnel transfers (part of the "fix"). She also had some "I'm about ready to strangle her" admin issues before she got pregnant, which made all the admin types less willing to be helpful when she started to seek a discharge.
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

Cloak and Dagger, my unit refuses to place me in a non-deployable status. They claimed that since I was/am under a statutory obligation and my husband is under a contractual obligation that he is the one to be discharged, which is true to a point. The regulations also state "in the best interest of the Army" which would be my discharge. When you place an E5 reservist with a 243 PT score that has had no combat experience versus an Active Duty E5 Ranger Qualified Combat Medic with a PT score 300+ with combat experience, you find that the needs of the Army suggest my discharge. So in short they are just being obnoxious.

Hopefully the message I left with the IG will reach someone who gives a damn and get it squared away.

Also on a side note, I figured out why that site kept telling me to contact my unit. As a reservist upon seperation you do not receive a DD214, that is only when being discharged from AD or exiting from AD to another component of the military..... :oops:
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Don't know if you tried this yet, but a one of the best secret weapons a joe has when he/she needs something done is a Chaplain. Talk to a Chaplain and tell them everything you have done and the stress it is causing and I am sure you will get stuff done. When it comes down to it, who is going to say no or not right now to a Chaplain. 8)

Good Luck
It's all good.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

SkyShark wrote:Don't know if you tried this yet, but a one of the best secret weapons a joe has when he/she needs something done is a Chaplain. Talk to a Chaplain and tell them everything you have done and the stress it is causing and I am sure you will get stuff done. When it comes down to it, who is going to say no or not right now to a Chaplain. 8)

Good Luck
Heck, go to Pastor, he could really tell 'em!!! :lol: :lol: Chaplain is a great idea SkyShark!!!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Just a question, but who is telling your husband he has a need for the Family Care Plan? I assume it's his Battalion S-1, since they track that sort of thing. My thought on that is because your SSN is still tagged to his as a dual couple. It's been about 10 years since my experience at Battalion level, but there was an exception form that the active duty member (your husband) had to sign and have notorized (JAG) stating that he didn't require the FCP, due to (fill in the blank, here). I'm assuming that you've dug for the regulation and read through that as well.

I'm sitting at home, with not much to do - being on leave and all - if you need some digging around, I'll volunteer.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

Ranger 42L5V, while that would be all good and well it wouldn't work for us. I would get deployed while he is deployed and then we don't have anyone for our kids to go to. My father is fighting his 5th bought of colon cancer and his parents are just too old (and I don't agree with the way they would want to raise our children, attitude wise or religion). The fellow from IG called me today at about 1630 my time and told me I have been discharged according to my Unit Administrator but he can't seem to find orders for me and neither can they. They claim to have sent a copy to my residence (since when does the Army send anything without tracking and delivery confirmation?) and claim to have "misplaced" my original copy. Personally I think they are just dickin around to be asinine towards me and my husband because of all the shit they got in when I spoke with my congressman. 8)

The IG did tell me that my discharge was honorable, and although I did not complete the statutory agreement with the government, I retain my GI Bill and do not have to pay back any of my bonus. I'm also open for reenlistment so that's a huge plus. We've been talking about my going back after his retirement, I hate leaving things unfinished.

Sorry the SITREP took so long, he's coming in tommorow so I've been a bit busy with wifely things. THank you all for interest and help and Ranger 42L5V, if you truly are bored, you could try to wrangle up a copy of my orders. I promise if you found that piece of paper, I'd send you a nice gift certificate to the Hooters of your choice. :D
atlantabravz
US Army

PM

Post by atlantabravz »

MrsDocMac, I sent you a PM on your topic.
V/R,
CPT G
ALARNG 1995-1997, PFC/E-3
USAR 1997-1998, SPC/E-4
ALARNG 1998-2000, SGT/SMP Cadet
USA 2000-present, MAJ, AG
OIF/OND (29 total months in Kuwait as of March 2011)
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

The IG did tell me that my discharge was honorable, and although I did not complete the statutory agreement with the government, I retain my GI Bill and do not have to pay back any of my bonus. I'm also open for reenlistment so that's a huge plus. We've been talking about my going back after his retirement, I hate leaving things unfinished
One thing on this, though. You mentioned the USAR doesn't send a DD214. That's technically true, until you're 8 year obligation is up, at which point you should receive one if I recall correctly. Also, without the discharge order you were supposed to receive from the unit (which came from STARC) you could not reenlist if you ever wanted to do so.

Those orders contain the Separation code (which would prove an FCP discharge), RE-Code, and type of discharge which will all need to be proven UPON ATTEMPT TO REENLIST. You will not need a waiver, but you will need those orders.

I HIGHLY suggest getting someone to shit a copy of them.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

hit_it wrote:
The IG did tell me that my discharge was honorable, and although I did not complete the statutory agreement with the government, I retain my GI Bill and do not have to pay back any of my bonus. I'm also open for reenlistment so that's a huge plus. We've been talking about my going back after his retirement, I hate leaving things unfinished
One thing on this, though. You mentioned the USAR doesn't send a DD214. That's technically true, until you're 8 year obligation is up, at which point you should receive one if I recall correctly. Also, without the discharge order you were supposed to receive from the unit (which came from STARC) you could not reenlist if you ever wanted to do so.

Those orders contain the Separation code (which would prove an FCP discharge), RE-Code, and type of discharge which will all need to be proven UPON ATTEMPT TO REENLIST. You will not need a waiver, but you will need those orders.

I HIGHLY suggest getting someone to shit a copy of them.
SFC Hit_It, sorry I haven't updated this thing. the Captain who posted above you actually went out of his way to help me to wrangle up a copy or two. Now all I have to do is keep up with them for about 8 1/2 years. :lol:

As for the DD-214, I didn't make it to my 8 years.... I only hit 5 1/2. :cry:

Return to “Post Service Issues”