Rotator Cuff Injury

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Rotator Cuff Injury

Post by 289sotherhalf »

A little over two months ago, I had an unfortunate work related injury to my shoulder. I had an MRI done last week, and have since found out that I have a partial tear of the Rotator Cuff, specifically the Supraspinatus tendon. The Dr. feels that surgery is indicated. He feels that after 2 mo.s of therapy, I have hit a plateau with PT. He has referred me to an Ortho. Dr.

I hate to go under the knife if it isn't necessary, and right now I suck up the pain for the most part, however it is getting worse. The weakness and loss of mobility in my dominant arm really sucks as well. My Physical Therapist is great, and after I got past the urge to throat punch him in our initial sessions, I realized that he was really helping me out. He's kept my mobility from getting worse, and helped strengthen the shoulder, and that's a plus, but again, that seems to be the extent of it to this point.

If anyone has experience with treatment of or has experienced this type of injury, I would appreciate any insight into my possible options or what I would be looking forward to as far as surgery, recovery time, outcome, etc. I'd like to be as prepared as possible before I see the Surgeon. I've done a bit of research on it, but I would very much appreciate hearing other's experiences/ perspective.

Thank you.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

I had a rotator cuff injury about 7 years ago, went to the doctor who's first cause of action was for me to place a large rubberband on a door and use my right arm and while (simulating a side arm curl) and use that for resistance . To make a long story short that didn't work, I could never get them to operate on me and to this very day I can feel pain in my shoulder when I bench press.

I don't know the amount of pain you're experiencing but if you can go under the knife I'd do it.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

It sounds to me like the plan of action has been pretty much the standard of care. PT, and with no or limited results then surgery. My wife can tell you that if a Dr recommends seeing a surgeon it is in your best interests to do so. Her rotator cuff is still giving her problems 6 years later and she elected not to have the surgery.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Get surgery. I've had two of them on my right shoulder with my rotator cuff held in by four bolts. Second surgery did the trick.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Thank you all for your responses, I really do appreciate your insight.

Ranger Holmchicken, if you don't mind me asking a couple of questions.....Did you have an open or arthroscopic surgery? How was your recovery? How long did it take to get back to work?
~Ranger Wife~

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

The Holmchicken
Ranger

289sotherhalf wrote:Thank you all for your responses, I really do appreciate your insight.

Ranger Holmchicken, if you don't mind me asking a couple of questions.....Did you have an open or arthroscopic surgery? How was your recovery? How long did it take to get back to work?
Both. Last one was arthroscopic and it was in August 2005. I was cleared for upperbody conditioning in January 2006.
2/75 97-00

75th RRA
289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

The Holmchicken wrote:
289sotherhalf wrote:Thank you all for your responses, I really do appreciate your insight.

Both. Last one was arthroscopic and it was in August 2005. I was cleared for upperbody conditioning in January 2006.
Thank you, Ranger Holmchicken.
~Ranger Wife~

289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Well, tomorrow I get this shoulder fixed, and it's on the road to recovery (hopefully) :wink: .

Thanks again.
~Ranger Wife~

Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Good Luck with your surgery tommarrow Lisa. We'll be thinking about you, and
I'll say a few prayers for your speedy recovery. Give me a call when you feel up to it.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

289sotherhalf wrote:Well, tomorrow I get this shoulder fixed, and it's on the road to recovery (hopefully) :wink: .

Thanks again.

Good luck. It's a long road and yeah, it's pretty shitty. But do everything the doctor tells you to do, rehab exactly as they for how long they tell you and you'll be better than ever. This time last year, I couldn't even bathe myself. Now I'm doing pull ups from dead hangs and all kinds of crazy crap. If I can put up with, anyone can put up with it.
2/75 97-00

75th RRA
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Just posting a sit-rep for my 6.

Everything went well, it wasn't as extensive as it could have been.

I'll let her give all the details herself. She'll probably figure out how to type one handed very shortly.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
SmileyTFJ

Post by SmileyTFJ »

AbnRgr289 wrote:She'll probably figure out how to type one handed very shortly.
:lol: :lol: She's stubborn enough.

Good to hear she's doing well. Thanks for the sit-rep.
289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Thank you Everyone for the well wishes! They are much appreciated. 8)

Thank you, Ranger Holmchicken, and I will definitely be following the Doc's orders.

Well, it went better than expected, as the other half said. I haven't gotten the full scoop yet, as I only spoke to the Doc briefly before discharge. I have a f/u on tomorrow, so I will know more then, and get my video of the procedure, which I can't wait to see. :D What I know as of now is, he said he saw no tear, but that something was hanging-up on the ligaments. This caused alot of inflammation and tissue build-up. They did some debridement and sub-acromial decompression. All-in-all, I'm very pleased, and glad that part is over. It was a learning experience. If all continues to go well, by spring I should be in the O.R. again, but this time running the Mayo or atleast riding a retractor, not as the patient. :wink:

The assisted PT we're doing now sucks donkey balls, but this too shall pass. :lol:
~Ranger Wife~

Return to “Medical Issues”