Concealed paddle holster

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Concealed paddle holster

Post by BruteForce »

I'm looking for a decent leather concealed (paddle style) holster. I've been researching the Safariland 518, but I can't source one that will fit a Walther P99.

Anybody have suggestions on a nice, form-fit (in-the-pants) concealed holster?
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Re: Concealed paddle holster

Post by FireFinder »

utahlanman wrote:I'm looking for a decent leather concealed (paddle style) holster. I've been researching the Safariland 518, but I can't source one that will fit a Walther P99.

Anybody have suggestions on a nice, form-fit (in-the-pants) concealed holster?
You want an IWB or a Paddle? Paddle holsters are not normally considered IWB.

For IWB, I would consider something like this: http://www.holster.com/028.html
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Re: Concealed paddle holster

Post by BruteForce »

"You want an IWB or a Paddle? Paddle holsters are not normally considered IWB.

For IWB, I would consider something like this: http://www.holster.com/028.html
Definately a paddle style. Something that doesnt require a belt, but can be secured to the belt, as necessary. I may have found a 518 on eBay, but there are still 5 days before the auction closes.

My local gun-shops don't carry the Safariland, and neither does RangerJoe's and many other online vendors.
US Army 1986 - 1994
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

The problem with using a paddle-style holster, is that you may inadvertently present your pistol IN the paddle holster. I've seen it happen on the range. It may never happen to you, but I personally wouldn't use one.

I would look at an IWB. Comp-Tac, Bladetech and Sidearmor make some excellent kydex IWB holsters. There are alot of leather IWB holsters out there as well.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Whatever you decide, paddle or pancake style, try to get one that does not double or even triple the leather thick around the pistol. It is a real problem with double stack pistols as far as concealment is concerned. You also want one that provides some protection around the rear of the slide/upper frame to keep your skin from being rubbed off during long hours of concealment. A good holster is also one that does not require you to practically undress in order to take it on and off. I have purchased about a gazillion holsters and have yet to find one that was perfect as far as concealment, comfort and versatility is concerned so good luck. Look at Desantis or perhaps even going custom.
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Firefinder, you have an excellent point in ensuring that the holster doesn't come out when drawn. I know most of the FLEO I deal with use the paddle style or ankle holster for the "extra" firearm, and the Safariland has a little tab that prevents (or should) from coming off the pants when the weapon is drawn.

I'll look at the sites suggested and purchase the most appropriate holster.

If I didnt really like this Walther, the holster selection would be easier, but my P99 has been solid, even after 2000+ rounds down range.
US Army 1986 - 1994

Return to “Personal Gear”