Centerpeds

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Centerpeds

Post by Steadfast »

I heard that centerpeds could bite you and get you ill with fever. I was never bitten by one. As a matter of fact, they would generally roll up into a ball whenever you touched one or picked it up. During the monsoons we would set up NDP a little bit ahead of the rains. Sometimes we moved, sometimes we didn't. It seemed that no matter where we set up - these centerpeds would be coming towards us no matter what direction we were from them. I used to take out my knife I kept on my LBE and cut the Centerped into 4 parts. Then I would count the legs. I must have cut like 25 of them and counted their legs. I always came out with an odd number, like 83, 85, 87, & 91. I always figured by accident one leg was inevidently cut off during dicing. They came in all sorts of hues from bright yellow to dark brown. Some of them seemed as long as 12 inches. I never had a rulr to measure and only wanted things to be in the ballpark. (I'm talking Centerpeds sukr, not you know what.)

So I guess I am asking Doc what you know about Centerpeds, are any of them poisonous. Do they bite? Do the difference in colors signify whether they are dangerous?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Thanks Doc. I just thought I would relay what I have seen and just wondered. I haven't seen one like I used to in 3 decades. Maybe I'll talk about Oranatangs (sp?) next time. I know how deadly tigers are so I think I will skip them.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Medical Issues”