Leaches

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Leaches

Post by Steadfast »

We heard of one of the guys in my unit in RVN that dropped his pants after crossing a stream - As long as we felt we were alone, we would move into the treeline and not stay in the open. Then came the next step. Drop your drawers and let you buddy see if there were any leaches to be removed from your body. We would be covered with 6 - 10 leaches depending on how long we were in H2O. Well one of the guys had a leach halfway up his pee-hole of his peckr. This guy tried to grab it but the slippery sukr wholey enter his peckr. He had to be removed by dustoff and went onto a hospital where the leach was removed without further incident.

Did any of you guys have incidents dealing with leaches?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Being further south than you, we were also alot wetter. During monsoon, leaches were a fact of life wherever you were. We even gave up trying to find and get them off. When you got back from a mission and stripped off your tiger stripes, you'd have these hickeys all over from the leaches. Infection from the leach bites was a problem, and I spent a week in the hospital on two different occasions for "Jungle Rot".
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “Medical Issues”