Knee Problems

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
edk84
Embryo

Knee Problems

Post by edk84 »

I have recently been getting a slight pain right below my knee. From doing some research online, it seems to fit the characteristics of runner's knee or chondromalacia of the patella (tight hamstrings and knee popping when fully extended). I have been following the advice from some running websites, which suggest rest, ice, and quad strengthening exercises. I am wondering if any Rangers have experienced this and if you have any advice for getting past it. I hate to miss days from my running schedule, but I also don't want it to get any worse. Right now I have about 5 months until I ship out. Thanks for any advice.
"Move swiftly. Don't whine. Try your hardest."
- from "The Hard Way" by Mark Jenkins
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

go see an Orthopedic Doctor.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
edk84
Embryo

Post by edk84 »

Doc,
1) I am 19 years old.
2) It doesn't hurt all the time, but I can feel it more if I have been sitting down and had my knee bent for a while. It also hurts if I kick my right leg up in the air. I took a week off from running because it was hurting during my runs, but it doesn't really bother me that much during the runs anymore, only a little afterwards.
3) I was taking ibuprofen after runs, but I have stopped doing that as the pain is not as severe as it was.
4) I have never had problems with my knee before.
5) The pain is localized in the front of my leg, right below my knee. If I do a standing groin stretch, it hurts on the inner side of the knee.
Additional things: My shoes were definitely worn out(I have bought new shoes and it does seem to make running more comfortable), and this came after I increased my weekly running mileage by a little more than I should have.

Thank you for the help.
"Move swiftly. Don't whine. Try your hardest."
- from "The Hard Way" by Mark Jenkins
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

EDK-

Follow Ranger Steadfast's and Doc's advice. I'd also consider taking glucosamine. Any objections to that Doc?
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Doc wrote:EDK,

Good thinking on getting new shoes. I'd say 90% of any problems I've ever had related to running injuries came from worn out shoes. I usually replace shoes on about a 250-300 mile timetable.

I don't know alot about glucosamine, except what I've read. I do know that diabetics should be cautious when taking it or considering beginning a regimen of it.

Maybe http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_repo ... egory=knee will help.

Check Six,
Doc
Huh, never heard anything about diabetics and glucosamine.

My dog has been on it for about a year...she went from not being able to walk to jumping around like a puppy. I took it for awhile for my elbow and it really seemed to help.
Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

Back when I played soccer, a kid on our team took a real good kick to the side of the knee, he wasn't able to walk for a good few days. When he did start getting up and moving he had a very thick rubber band tied below his patella, when we asked what it did he said something about holding the tendons straight?

Soldier Doc do you have any idea what I mean?

kid that kicked him got a red card cause he did it from behind and wasn't *going* for the ball.
Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)
being held hostage in sandhill...
Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

Thankyou superman Doc
Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Great tat Doc. But aren't penis tatoos painful?
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

Wow Doc, my ESP is growing beyond my control!
any idea how to calm it?

on a more serious note, how would you suggest curing/getting rid off ingrown toe nail... (besides aplying outgrow and placing a line of dental floss between the nail and the flesh) So far I've heard that, get new shoes, don't clip the nail other than straight across...

Thankyou, Doc (superman yes/no?)
Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)

Return to “Medical Issues”