M-16 "Machine Gun"

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Kiknskreem
Tadpole

M-16 "Machine Gun"

Post by Kiknskreem »

There is a point of contention regarding the M16 which I hope someone can clear up. I have always thought of it as an assault rifle and this is how it is referred to in Army FM's, i.e. gas operated, air cooled assault rifle. In the book To Be a US Army Ranger, however, it is referred to as the M16 machine gun. I have never been able to find a universal definition for either assault rifle or machine gun, and was wondering why it would be referred to as a machine gun.
Motivated. Dedicated. Heart and Soul.
Spartan

Re: M-16 "Machine Gun"

Post by Spartan »

Kiknskreem wrote:There is a point of contention regarding the M16 which I hope someone can clear up. I have always thought of it as an assault rifle and this is how it is referred to in Army FM's, i.e. gas operated, air cooled assault rifle. In the book To Be a US Army Ranger, however, it is referred to as the M16 machine gun. I have never been able to find a universal definition for either assault rifle or machine gun, and was wondering why it would be referred to as a machine gun.
Hmm... What page do you find this information?
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I've never heard of it refered to as a "machine gun".

Maybe LN will get a kick out of this: this is my weapon, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun...................... :wink:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Kiknskreem
Tadpole

Post by Kiknskreem »

Ranger Spartan, I don't have the book with me at the moment, but I'll look it up and post the page number later in the day.
Kiknskreem
Tadpole

Post by Kiknskreem »

Sorry for the delay, had some computer troubles. The information is actually about the M4 (my mistake). On page 109, paragraph 2, lines 3-5 it states "The M4 Carbine is a lightweight... magazine-fed machine gun"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

RGR Luna wrote:I've never heard of it refered to as a "machine gun".

Maybe LN will get a kick out of this: this is my weapon, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun...................... :wink:
same thing with the m-4 or car-15 in my day.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Colin
Embryo

Post by Colin »

I thought the m16 and the m4's were limited to only 3 round burst and semi-automatic firing modes. Does the military still use full auto?
Rangers lead the way!
Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

COLIN STOP FUCKING POSTING AND LOOK AT YOUR PM
Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)
being held hostage in sandhill...

Return to “Weapons of War”