% of Tabbed and Non-tabbed who can complete a tour w/ a Batt

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
smug
Embryo

% of Tabbed and Non-tabbed who can complete a tour w/ a Batt

Post by smug »

I recently read a post on this site (I searched for it in order to reference it here, but was not able to narrow the search in any helpful way) in which its author claimed that most soldiers are not able to endure a full two years in one of the battalions (they made no mention of serving at HQ) either because of injury or because they couldn't keep up to the standards. Is this true? Additionally, are most of those who fail to complete the two years non-tabbed soldiers?
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

I did a total of 8yrs in REGT. 4 YRS. in the line, 3 1/2 in RRD. 1 1/2 in RIP/PRE RANGER! I have bro's there now who have been there well over 10 yrs!
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

RRDTm3 wrote:I did a total of 8yrs in REGT. 4 YRS. in the line, 3 1/2 in RRD. 1 1/2 in RIP/PRE RANGER! I have bro's there now who have been there well over 10 yrs!
My hat is off to you Ranger RRDTm3 8) .I was one of the guys that took a real beating while I was in. When I was in, the Regt. had the highest turnover rate in the military. So I was told.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Smug-

I'm not sure anyone has any exact numbers percentage wise.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the majority of Rangers do not do more then 4 years in Batt. They either get out of the Army, or go on to other things like SF, aviation, RTB, etc. There are plenty of exceptions, folks like Bubba who are as hard as woodpecker lips. You meet a Ranger who has spent more then 6 years Rangering, and you have met a hard man. These men floss with concertina wire, and wipe their ass with MRE boxes, *if* they wipe at all. :wink:

2 years isn't really a good time frame to analyze. Most privates who aren't going to make it in Batt wash out in the first 6 months, a year at the most.

When I was in, you went to Ranger School after being there for 1 to 1 1/2 years. keep in mind, things are different for different time frames, platoons, companies and Batts.

To answer your question, yes, most soldiers who didn't do 2 years would most likely be non-tabbed soldiers.

That's not really looking at the whole picture.

Folks leave Batt for a couple of reasons.

1. Failure to meet standards. (this encompasses a lot.)
2. Injury
3. 4187 to another unit/assignment

Failure to meet standards could be your private who just can't cut it, or a 3 yr vet spec-4/e-5 who fucked up in some way.

Answer your question?

Oh yeah, Bubba, some of the stories I've heard about RRD "deployments", I'm not sure your time there counts as "hard time". :D
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

true, RRD was sham for sure, but the try-outs to get in were a mother fucker, don't ask horned toad because he didn't have to try out :x
even though i am still on active duty with national guard. i am a disabled vet, having broke my my hip in RGR school yet driving on to the RGR obj and got my shit(5-2 straight thru). not to mention a fucked up back, deaf in my left ear, torn labrium and rotator cuff. the list goes on for those who know the deal. i just couldn't leave. i wished i would have left sooner, but oh well, lesson learned! GO GUARD!
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

Mentor to Myself
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

RRDTm3 wrote:true, RRD was sham for sure, but the try-outs to get in were a mother fucker, don't ask horned toad because he didn't have to try out :x
even though i am still on active duty with national guard. i am a disabled vet, having broke my my hip in RGR school yet driving on to the RGR obj and got my shit(5-2 straight thru). not to mention a fucked up back, deaf in my left ear, torn labrium and rotator cuff. the list goes on for those who know the deal. i just couldn't leave. i wished i would have left sooner, but oh well, lesson learned! GO GUARD!
Fuck, I wonder how many of us have fucked up bodies from our time in? Wouldn't want to ask that question except in mayhem, otherwise we'd scare all the DEPs away!
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Hey Bubba you dont like me not going to tryouts go whine to Grange he made the call NA NA NANAAAA

besides we had already been doing the same shit with 4 guys instead of 6 with more gear

I feel the luv
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Horny, weren't you a straight into the special teams baby? No line doggy time, right?

Some dudes have all the luck..... :roll:
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

yah always seemed to be right place at the right time, one thing I can say really helped, when I first got there, one of my sergeants told me to get a HALO/SCUBA physical and keep it up to date. RFSE was right across the hall from Training. So when someone couldn’t go to a school and they were scrambling to fill a slot they would run across the hall and yell " who has a current physical" well golly gee I do sergeant!!
yah I lucked out
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

yah I lucked out
you mean sucked it out, shammer!

was it you are brian daly i kept slugging with my hand set everytime i would put my ruck on?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

Mentor to Myself
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Was me, this post had me thinking of the trip where all I can remeber was it was fucking muddy and we were walking buy a dirt berm and you fell and I had to help you up, bought tore my back again, then not 20 yards down the way I fall and stick out left arm like a dumbass to catch myself and crunch, sholder has never been the same

you have any info on what happened to brian if so PM me
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

i think i hit you like 6-7 times in one mission, they were good whacks too cause i would sling my ruck up from the ground up and the handset would be just right behind, the cable fully stretched out, gaining speed the whole time , then WHACK. hand set to the head face or mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GODDAMN I TELL THAT STORY ALL THE TIME! :lol: :) :D 8)
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

Mentor to Myself
Horned Toad
Ranger